General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exploding tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 09:29 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

It happened to me recently, I was merging onto I-95 and a truck in the right lane was getting ahead and a tire blew. Wow they make some noise, I was showered with bits of rubber, a large piece wrapped itself around my left shin and a piece dinged my headlight nacelle and left a mark.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:43 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

Glad your ok OP as a truck driver myself when I'm on my bike its pinned when I catch up to a semi and get them behind me quickly.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:57 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Outstanding job of not dying!
Kudos for keeping the shining side up.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:58 PM
teeroy_
Road Warrior
Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Judging by the amount of tire alligators strewn on the interstates, you would think recapping truck tires is a liability to the trucking company, the truckers insurance company and the business who recapped the worn truck tires.
IIIRC, recapped tires are illegal on the steering axle.
retread tires are only against the law on steer axles of commercial passenger buses.

the failure rate of retreads is less than that of virgin tires. the main cause of tread separation is under inflation in both types of tires.

if retreads were not cost efficient, mega fleets would not be using them. if you don't think they have researched the **** outta that, you'd be wrong.

Last edited by teeroy_; 09-21-2018 at 10:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Joe from So Cal (09-22-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 10:02 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,383 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Just imagine "split" rims on trucks before...

The locking ring becomes a missile.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:42 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,103 Likes on 8,920 Posts

I probably have a couple of million miles in Tractor/Trailers and own a truck driving school. I will NEVER ride, or drive for that matter, behind one. And one coming towards me always gets my attention. What REALLY gets my attention is Logging trucks. Those things always have a “Widow Maker” in there somewhere.

But what was more scary was when I had a rear flat going 70/80 mph in Bakersfield on my fully loaded eGlide two years ago in the left hand lane while changing lanes so I could get on the north bound freeway. The tire completely separated from the rim ...... now that was an eye opener.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:57 AM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,337 Likes on 3,310 Posts

Mu buddy rode down from Virginia to attend Bike Week with me back in the early 90's. On the way a gator smacked him on the leg. Didn't break it but it lamed him up pretty good. Then on the way the Daytona a day later we were passing a tractor trailer on the right side. We were riding staggered and I was closest to the truck. Right as I was adjacent to the rear axles a tire blew. It was like a bomb going off. Scared the crap out of both of us.

I was riding behind a pickup with the mechanic box bed on I-4 one day on my way home from work. I was in my car but still it was something to see. There was a big box in the back right up against the cab. I kept seeing it levitate a little and then sit back down so I backed off. Sure enough it finally just lifted right up and came out of the truck. It hit the highway right in front of me and busted open. There was a brand new Queen Ann style chair inside and it slid on off to the shoulder. I was far enough back to easily avoid it but to see that thing just suck right up out of that truck.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:06 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Was just watching an old re-run of the TV show CSI the other day. In that particular episode, an obviously dead person was found headless in a go-kart on the side of the road. The CSI's eventually determined that a truck tire exploded and caused the decapitation.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1041251/

Old 09-22-2018, 08:22 AM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

Retreads should be illegal. Encounter this debris daily.
Retreads should be illegal. Encounter this debris daily.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-07-2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 09-22-2018, 08:40 AM
J_MOSH
Road Warrior
Received 935 Likes on 500 Posts

I work in a heavy truck salvage yard. The list of crazy stuff I've seen that breaks, pops, explodes or lights on fire is nuts. I've seen entire axle assembly's break loose after suspension arm failures. Wheel hub bearing failures that let the tandem wheels, hub, brake drum, and 3-4 feet of axle shaft walk away from the truck and keep rolling on its merry way. The list goes on and on. By and large its a pretty safe industry, accidents happen but the sheer number of miles these guys drive stuffs gonna happen. Yah I definitely steer as clear as possible from large trucks when I'm riding. But I'm sure statistically the guy who poses the biggest risk to you on the road is not in a semi. Around here it's fart can Honda's, Florida or Arizona I'd bet its a Cadillac or a Buick.

Quick Reply: Exploding tire