General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a Harley be modified for me to ride?

Old 09-23-2018, 06:45 PM
Lodestar63
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a Harley be modified for me to ride?

I have a very bad lumbar spine (irreparable damage so I just have to live with it and try not to aggravate my back too much) and I am also looking at 2 total knee replacements over the next year. I cannot ride my husband's FatBoy as it is just too painful on my back and knees. I am trying to convince him that a Harley Trike might be the answer so that we can travel together on a bike. My husband is skeptical. I cannot be the only spouse with this problem. Do any of you have suggestions as to what the answer might be? Trike with modifications - if so what might you suggest?

Old 09-23-2018, 06:47 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts

I've never ridden a trike, but I do understand the rear suspension can be pretty rough at times. That would be hard on the back.

The following users liked this post:
Lodestar63 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 07:10 PM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

The rear on the trike can be rough but there are some ways make it a little smoother. The front doesn't seem rough to me. You can check out DK Customs they have done work with Trikes and ride them. They are a sponsor on here as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by 5wheels:
Lodestar63 (09-24-2018), mctraveler (09-24-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 07:28 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

I hate to say this but sometimes life gets in the way of fun...meaning that depending on how much pain your back causes you, you just might not be able to ride even if you want to.

if it was me, I would talk him into a side car, set up probably the ride can be very smooth. I had a buddy who’s wife road in the sidecar (she had ms and bad back) and really enjoyed it....might be an option worth exploring

Lodestar63 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 07:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,828 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Lady no offense but you may want to seriously consider a quality of life choice at this juncture in your life. A bike no matter the number of wheels or anything else you can do is going to aggravate your back and I suspect do more damage if you try. We all have this choice to make at some point in life, my best wishes to you in this.

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
Campy Roadie (09-24-2018), Lodestar63 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 06:55 AM
Strugatsio
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Lady no offense but you may want to seriously consider a quality of life choice at this juncture in your life. A bike no matter the number of wheels or anything else you can do is going to aggravate your back and I suspect do more damage if you try. We all have this choice to make at some point in life, my best wishes to you in this.
This. Two weeks ago I consulted an ortho doc about my knee (tendinitis) and explained that my workout routine aggravates it. My lower body routine is treadmill, leg extensions and hamstring curls. He said the obvious answer is that if an activity causes pain, the solution is to stop the activity. He suggested I join the 'Y' and start swimming.

I didn't say it, but I wanted to tell him that they measure urine content in public pools by the gallon and there's no way I'm going swimming.

BTW, I still do dreadmill, but don't do the other lower body exercises. My knee still bothers me, just not as much.

Lodestar63 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 07:40 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,340 Likes on 2,199 Posts

My advice, buy a convertible... I had to do this for years due to a back and knee injury... If you back is 'out' theres not a bike on the planet that will be comfortable. Ask me how I know..

The following 2 users liked this post by uncle kebo:
Campy Roadie (09-24-2018), Lodestar63 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 07:58 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,080 Likes on 8,912 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
My advice, buy a convertible... I had to do this for years due to a back and knee injury... If you back is 'out' theres not a bike on the planet that will be comfortable. Ask me how I know..
Agreed. A side car, I have put many miles on one, is not as comfortable as it looks. It will still jar your back and not be easy to get in and out with bad knees. And the sitting position of a trike is not much different than a bike. A convertible for open air travel might be the least aggravating to your injury’s and has the added benefit of you being able to drive it.

Kuddos to trying to sort this out. Might be time to refocus your fun time a bit.

Lodestar63 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 09:17 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodestar63
I have a very bad lumbar spine (irreparable damage so I just have to live with it and try not to aggravate my back too much) and I am also looking at 2 total knee replacements over the next year. I cannot ride my husband's FatBoy as it is just too painful on my back and knees. I am trying to convince him that a Harley Trike might be the answer so that we can travel together on a bike. My husband is skeptical. I cannot be the only spouse with this problem. Do any of you have suggestions as to what the answer might be? Trike with modifications - if so what might you suggest?
Welcome to the site.

Since your health situation is unique to you, I would suggest that you rent a trike and give it a go. This way, you can evaluate the machine for your suitability. You may find another model bike may work too. Rent any models you want to consider.
As far as modifications go, again, your situation is unique to you. What might work for someone else may not work for you. And vice versa. If you think a pneumatic seat pad would help, then Airhawk would be something to look at. Do you already have a lightweight helmet? (Soumy makes very light helmets, but they're NOT cheap.)
Bikes with floorboards seem to put increased stress on knees (ACL & MCL), especially passenger knees. Foot pegs seem to quell this anomaly.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

EDIT~My GF informs me that the Can-Am Spyder is very comfortable. Might take one of those for a spin too.
Also, I hate to recommend this as this is a very "pro" HD site, but the Honda Goldwing is the epitome of passenger comfort.
Look around at what couples are riding, long distance. It's usually Goldwings, BMW's or HD Ultras. It's never Fatboys.

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 09-24-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Lodestar63 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 09:59 AM
mitchxout
Cruiser
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

The "laid back" sitting position on a softail is hard on a healthy back. Plus, softtails have very little rear suspension travel. Look for a bike where you can sit up with good posture. Also your feet should be under you so you can use your legs to absorb shock. Unfortunately, your knees may not allow that either?

Lodestar63 (09-24-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can a Harley be modified for me to ride?