General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suddenly Getting Nervous Riding for no Real Reason??

Old 09-25-2018, 10:20 AM
Kingface
Road Master
Received 178 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Suddenly Getting Nervous Riding for no Real Reason??

I'm sure this has happened to others so looking for advice on how to 'fight' through this. For whatever reason I have gotten nervous while riding my HD's. I've only been riding for 3 years but I put on a lot of miles (for Maine) and use them as my daily commuter for work when it's decent out. For whatever reason I started getting very nervous while riding the other day. No real reason......I did lock up my rear brakes on the FatBoy but I was going on a straight line and came out of it absolutely fine with no real worry of going down. We all have had close calls but I never felt really scared other than that normal 'pucker factor' right after. It just kind of came on all of the sudden....and it's starting to effect how I ride meaning I'm TOO cautious and it's making me almost ride worse if that makes sense.

My point of this is not for a 'psycho analysis'. Just wondering if others experienced this and what you did to climb out of it. I LOVE riding and plan on doing it for as long as I am able so I want to 'get through this' as quickly as possible.

Thanks!!

Old 09-25-2018, 10:23 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

My recommendation: go back to basics. Get to a large, empty parking lot and practice. OR, better still (if possible), take another class. Perhaps an advanced rider class, or even retake the basic class.

It'll get easier with time, but training always helped me relax.

ETA: Also consider video training, like "Ride Like A Pro". The point is - push your comfort level a little bit in a safe environment.

Last edited by QNman; 09-25-2018 at 10:25 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by QNman:
crusader1xxx (09-25-2018), DanHappy (09-25-2018), mctraveler (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:30 AM
OldRegulator
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fear.

What are you scared/afraid of? The realization that one could seriously mangle oneself on a motorcycle?

Happens to every *sane* person. Keeps them aware of their abilities and surroundings.

Insanity would be the opposite, that is to keep riding with the same unsafe patterns/habits and never learning/changing from ones mistakes.

Ask if your fear is rational? If so, the only way to overcome is to get out and practice.

I've also been overcome with this "dread" when riding, but I then rationalize about it - I've got a measly 20k miles under my belt and I'm not doing anything stupid so most likely I'll be ok.

You can't control the actions of others while on the road but you're certainly in charge of yourself.

Last edited by OldRegulator; 09-25-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:33 AM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

it happens...even after 45 years of riding. Every now and then, for some odd unknown reason, the *****'s creep in on you. That's the cosmic reminder to maintain situational awareness and ALWAYS have a path out of danger...ie: don't get boxed in.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:34 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,588 Posts

The human brain is a complicated thing and we sometimes think too much, question insignificant things too much, and at times worry too much about things that we have little or no control over.

I'm rapidly approaching my 50th year of riding with no serious accidents, no broken bones (ever) but a few years ago, after a couple of close encounters with wildlife and also riding through some horrible thunderstorms, I started having reservations about night riding (which I did for many years and miles) and losing traction on slick, wet roads.
I think age (and perhaps a tad of common sense) has a lot to do with this, combined with the fact that as time goes on, the chances of having an accident becomes more likely and that we store that fear away somewhere in the back of our brains!

I still ride and night, and still ride in the rain (when necessary) but I do ride a bit slower just to increase my chances of survival if the worst should happen but there's no way I'll ever stop riding because something "may" happen.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:35 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,072 Likes on 3,318 Posts

I think many go through periods of second guessing their choice to ride. I have.. And usually its because some outside influence triggered it.
In the end, its you and your bike. It will do what you ask and if you pay attention, constantly scan the road, always think " what's the dumbest things THAT car/truck can do and what will I do to avoid it, your in a better position.
The trick is to stay ahead of everything.. Dont find yourself being surprised something just got in your path..

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:48 AM
nobodyknowsme
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,648 Likes on 6,423 Posts

I will try to lay this out from my perspective hoping that it will help. For me it is not a fear, but a hesitation going into sharp sweeping curves. It doesn't usually take me long to become nimble and get back the lean factor.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:50 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

While this artcle focuses on motorcycle riding, I have found mental preparation to be important in many aspects of my personal and professional life.

https://www.sportspsychologycoaching...cleRiding.html

https://www.sportspsychologycoaching...torcycleRiding

Old 09-25-2018, 10:52 AM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,650 Likes on 6,279 Posts

I'm just curious what you consider a lot of miles for riding in Maine? I know some guys who ride 1500 miles a year here and they think that's a lot.

Experience builds confidence in your ability so the more miles you ride the less you'll get nervous.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:56 AM
Squidbilly*
Road Captain
Received 162 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
My recommendation: go back to basics. Get to a large, empty parking lot and practice. OR, better still (if possible), take another class. Perhaps an advanced rider class, or even retake the basic class.

It'll get easier with time, but training always helped me relax.

ETA: Also consider video training, like "Ride Like A Pro". The point is - push your comfort level a little bit in a safe environment.
+1 on the ride like a pro vids,--Whole post,
Been following those since the day I dropped the ultra at the gas station,

Ride through it or quit is what I told myself,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suddenly Getting Nervous Riding for no Real Reason??