General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys and biker culture..

Old 09-27-2018, 12:21 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,719 Likes on 6,184 Posts

How did you get to 102 posts?
(We shoulda stabbed him.)

Old 09-27-2018, 12:21 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,569 Likes on 9,797 Posts

Didnt Sonny barger say something to the effect of " I like Honda, but the Hells Angels require me to ride Harley" he then wen on to say something like " I'm glad they did, because I made alot of money fixing the Harleys"

, H-D's are associated to 1 %er clubs because of the requirement by the rules that they ride only H-D motorcycles.

Originally Posted by ve9aa
When I bought my first bike last year (@54) I was told semi jokingly ,that I would need to rev the throttle at stop lights and develop a scowl. Also, wear more black.( I seldom wear any black). Scaring old ladies wouldn't hurt.

I dont do any of that cr@p.

I am a true failure as a real biker.

You should also ride through the business section of town looking at yourself in the storefront windows...

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-07-2018 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 09-27-2018, 12:25 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcatg
I guess by biker culture I was thinking about the friend connecting Sons Of Anarchy with the fact I had a Harley..
Thats what they ride in the show and HD was a big sponsor for the show as well.

Stop reading so much into it.

The following users liked this post:
Jack Ryan (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 12:25 PM
tomcatg
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
You know the answers to these questions already.
I guess I did a poor job of communicating..I know HD's and the outlaw biker connection (I didn't know that was a requirement for that until the above) but it seems like HD is the only brand with a stereotype attached or am I wrong? I had one guy I met who rides HD say "there's Harley and there's everything else" just wondered if that reverse was true..the HD brand loyalty is pretty interesting. Rode to lunch yesterday and guy saw the bike and started talking about his HD, but I don't ever get that from other bike riders..or haven't yet anyway.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:29 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcatg
but it seems like HD is the only brand with a stereotype attached or am I wrong?
Nah, look at the BMW “image”. I believe they’re called armadillos or some crap because a lot of them wear certain styles of pants and jackets all of the time.

Sport bike riders have their stereotypes as well. Same with the dirt bike style riders.

tomcatg (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 12:31 PM
tomcatg
Cruiser

When I bought my first bike last year (@54) I was told semi jokingly ,that I would need to rev the throttle at stop lights and develop a scowl. Also, wear more black.( I seldom wear any black). Scaring old ladies wouldn't hurt.

I hear ya..same here ..I am 54 myself ..I was told "don't buy any chaps" lol I am an ATTGATT guy too so definitely don't look the part of biker.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:39 PM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

I think that it depends on what generation the individual grew up in. Older folk probably have the type of perception of Harley riders that your friends has, where bikers are lawless men raping women and setting cars on fire wherever they go. At least that is how TV from the 70's and 80 portrayed Harley riders. It didn't help that back then the 1%'s (Hell's Angels, Outlaws, etc) were fighting with each other and making the news. Heck, I just watched a CHIPS episode the other day where bikers were portrayed in exactly that way.

Newer generations probably missed that portrayal of bikers so they see us differently, if they even pay attention to us at all.

tomcatg (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 12:52 PM
tomcatg
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51

Nah, look at the BMW “image”. I believe they’re called armadillos or some crap because a lot of them wear certain styles of pants and jackets all of the time.

Sport bike riders have their stereotypes as well. Same with the dirt bike style riders.
Now that you mention it my brother does have the armadillo thing going...never saw that with the Triumph

Originally Posted by Labrador
I think that it depends on what generation the individual grew up in. Older folk probably have the type of perception of Harley riders that your friends has, where bikers are lawless men raping women and setting cars on fire wherever they go. At least that is how TV from the 70's and 80 portrayed Harley riders. It didn't help that back then the 1%'s (Hell's Angels, Outlaws, etc) were fighting with each other and making the news. Heck, I just watched a CHIPS episode the other day where bikers were portrayed in exactly that way.

Newer generations probably missed that portrayal of bikers so they see us differently, if they even pay attention to us at all.
Never thought of it that way either but I believe you have an excellent point..

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-07-2018 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 09-27-2018, 12:57 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
You should also ride through the business section of town looking at yourself in the storefront windows...
If you can't keep quiet about the inner workings of the 'biker lifestyle' we cannot guarantee your safety.

The following 2 users liked this post by OKMICK:
pmadden327 (09-29-2018), Super Glidester (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 01:06 PM
OzHD
Banned
Received 437 Likes on 296 Posts

The truth is that only YOU get to decide if you're a "real biker" or not... no one else has any right to define it for you unless you let them.
Once you do that you might as well give them the keys to your bike as they're defining your life for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harleys and biker culture..