General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harleys and biker culture..

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 11:44 AM
tomcatg
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Harleys and biker culture..

I got to thinking after reading the thread where the guy was looking for info on joining an outlaw MC. Some people made jokes about HOG members being patched and “looking hard” and others commented on “weekend warriors” etc. Then there was a thread where a guy was asking about do-rags and catching some grief. Last week I was having lunch with some friends and the husband was asking if I had been riding lately or something along those lines and then mentioned that he had watched Sons Of Anarchy and asked if I had. ( I had not seen it, but I have since watched a few episodes. )

I guess the 1% outlaw biker thing is tied to the HD brand but just wondered if any other brands have this kind of thing attached to it. I mean I don’t typically see a couple of guys riding BMW’s come into a restaurant with leather vests and do-rags. I don’t think I have seen guys riding on their dual sports throwing mean looks at people…lol. I did have a dual sport rider invite me to a group ride once (on road)and said he “thought” Harleys riders would be welcomed ..

My older brother had a Triumph for years and now rides a BMW GS1200 and doesn’t own any leather stuff.

For the record..I do have a leather jacket and vest, I don’t wear a do rag though, just never needed one I have thick hair, but can see where it would help the shaved head. I am not a HOG member but have looked into it briefly, but I pretty much like riding alone and going where I want to go when I want to go.

When I bought my first HD last year I just loved the look and the sound and have enjoyed the crap put of it. I don't particularly care what people think about it one way or the other just found this kinda interesting..thoughts?

Top Answer

09-27-2018, 07:12 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

The image/sterotypes I've come across as a 30s something. Not my opinion just what I've overheard, so don't set it to my account.

Harley - the Son's of Anarchy bad boy thing
Harley Touring bike - Old man biker
Goldwing - old man biker who thinks avocados are spicy
Triumph - hipster trying to be like Son's of Anarchy but in an ironic way that you've probably never heard of before, wait where are my skinny jeans?
Suzuki GSXR - Gixer, also known as the bikers you usually see in a ditch after taking a corner faster than they had the skill for. Good for parts for your bike though.
Kawasaki/Yamaha liter bike - Power Rangers can go the speed of light! I'm not grumpy because I'm stiff and sore though, it's just because you didn't triple the speed limit.
Kawasaki/Yamaha Super sport tours - I like to go fast but my **** hurts.
BMW - Do you not have the latest gear? You can't ride without the latest gear. Slow down. Where's your hi-viz jacket?! Oh this isn't proper!
Adventure bikes - I wanted a dirt bike but had no truck to get it there on the streets
Dirt bikes - man that just looks like fun, and possibly annoying to people who need to be annoyed, where do I sign up?
Bike with a sidecart - it holds my top hat and ironic mustache paste that I couldn't fit on the Triumph... or I'm hunting ****'s, that too.
Sling Shot - I'm a biker! Why don't they wave? Wait, you mean to tell me I'm a car? Wtf? But I have one less wheel in the back like a motorcycle! What do you mean it's just a Cobra roadster short of a wheel?
Scooters - I like the feel of wind between my skirt. And I am too a biker! *cries gluten free tears*

Just the things I've overheard or seen over the years...

Old 09-27-2018, 11:52 AM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Greezey Rider (09-28-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 11:55 AM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts
Old 09-27-2018, 11:56 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

What is biker culture?

A HOG member will say a Wendy's Baconator with extra cheese.

Tony P (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 11:58 AM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

Well, considering every actual MC out there requires a Harley (when they started it was an allied bike so it was Harley, indian, or Triumph I believe) then no, no one else gets that treatment lol.

Except crotch rocket kids all being labeled as traffic cutting wheelie riding douche canoes.

tomcatg (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 12:04 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,088 Likes on 1,634 Posts
soldierbot (09-27-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 12:05 PM
tomcatg
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by slodsm
Well, considering every actual MC out there requires a Harley (when they started it was an allied bike so it was Harley, indian, or Triumph I believe) then no, no one else gets that treatment lol.
I didn't know that....lol of course I don't know much if anything about MC's in general so..

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
What is biker culture?

A HOG member will say a Wendy's Baconator with extra cheese.
I guess by biker culture I was thinking about the friend connecting Sons Of Anarchy with the fact I had a Harley..

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-07-2018 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 09-27-2018, 12:11 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by tomcatg
I guess by biker culture I was thinking about the friend connecting Sons Of Anarchy with the fact I had a Harley..

You know the answers to these questions already.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:15 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts

When I bought my first bike last year (@54) I was told semi jokingly ,that I would need to rev the throttle at stop lights and develop a scowl. Also, wear more black.( I seldom wear any black). Scaring old ladies wouldn't hurt.

I dont do any of that cr@p.

I am a true failure as a real biker.

The following 3 users liked this post by ve9aa:
joes bar and grill (09-30-2018), tomcatg (09-27-2018), wolverinehusky (09-28-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 12:17 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,207 Likes on 940 Posts

And winter has started early.....................

The following 7 users liked this post by Scudda:
Frostbite (09-27-2018), J F GO (09-28-2018), Jack Ryan (09-27-2018), Redoilokie (09-27-2018), SPRINGER (09-27-2018), TKDKurt (09-28-2018), Tony P (09-27-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Harleys and biker culture..