Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Bike won't start (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1255335-bike-wont-start.html)

DaviesUSMC 09-28-2018 12:01 PM

Bike won't start

2014 Deluxe, won't start. Rode it to church and stopped twice on the way home with no issues. Pulled it out Wednesday morning for work wouldn't start. Battery is 12.8 volts static and when the starter button is pressed it only drops to 11.2. Won't crank , just clicks. Any ideas?

Jackie Paper 09-28-2018 12:03 PM

The connection is loose. With no load, it's just showing voltage with no amps. My guess since a 2014 should still be good with starter and solenoid. The battery could also be worn out.

DaviesUSMC 09-28-2018 12:11 PM

Thanks, kind of been scratching my head because I have yet to find any connections loose. I haven't checked the starter yet but I just printed the wiring diagrams so I know what I'm looking at.

nevil 09-28-2018 12:18 PM

The one wire that gets overlooked is the ground cable from the battery. But from what you got on the volt readings the battery is probably toast, especially if it's the original one.

DanHappy 09-28-2018 12:21 PM

Do you keep it on a charger? What kind of mileage? Why I ask is, it is a 4 tear old battery, and depending when it was installed, it could be five years old. The battery could be toast. Especially with it not always on a tender.

New batteries suck. Batteries they made 10 - 15 years ago at least gave you a warning they were going. Not anymore.

Redoilokie 09-28-2018 12:31 PM

As far as a tender goes, I've never owned one, and my batteries live out their lives just fine. That said, I never "put my bike up for the season" as riding year round is a thing here, if not daily. Seeing as how the OP is from Texas, I'd suspect the same thing goes for him. That's not to say his battery isn't bad, only testing will tell for sure, but suggesting he needs to keep his bike on a tender is disingenuous.

seniorsuperglideE8 09-28-2018 01:29 PM

A four year old battery is my first thought also. If you decide to change your battery it would be a good idea to put a full charge on the battery prior to install. I also put a place in service (p.i.s.) date on the label of the battery to let you know in the future when a new battery is installed. Another quick T/S idea is to switch the system relay and starter relay and see what happens. Then start checking all cables to the starter and the grounds. Outside high temps. is also hard on the battery and when their are 4+ years old just makes it worse.

texashillcountry 09-28-2018 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by DaviesUSMC (Post 17716482)
2014 Deluxe, won't start. Rode it to church and stopped twice on the way home with no issues. Pulled it out Wednesday morning for work wouldn't start. Battery is 12.8 volts static and when the starter button is pressed it only drops to 11.2. Won't crank , just clicks. Any ideas?

Does your bike have a starter relay or does it have a BCM instead of a relay?
When you say it clicks is it a single click or a rapid series of clicks?
One idea to keep this from happening again is to put a button on your solenoid.
If you're not familiar with a starter button I'm referring to one of these
https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...m_campaign=gsx

deni 09-29-2018 02:58 AM

Test the battery or Buy a new one

skratch 09-29-2018 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Redoilokie (Post 17716557)
That's not to say his battery isn't bad, only testing will tell for sure, but suggesting he needs to keep his bike on a tender is disingenuous.

i wouldn't say that. just because he lives in a climate that affords year round riding, doesn't necessarily mean that he can ride year round. a lot of people live in a great climate, but have jobs that take them out of the area for long stretches.