General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Renting out a personal motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 11:25 AM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

The way i've treated every rental car i've had I wouldn't want to own a motorcycle that had been rented out.

The following users liked this post:
2wheelwanderer (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 11:34 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

I actually considered renting a bike this way lately.... for my purposes it made a lot of sense...

I didn't even really need to RIDE the bike, I just needed to borrow one for a day. Lately I've been thinking of adding a lighter bike to the stable for commuting. I like my Limited, but at 900 pounds empty it's a beast for low speed traffic splitting. I was thinking of a Ducati Multistrada. The local HD dealer took one in on trade. So I go down there & quickly realize the 4 foot seat height wasn't in my future. Still, I was drawn to 190 HP in a "lightweight" bike. In my searching I found one advertised in CL for rent through Twisted Roads. I think it was $125/day. So my thought was to pick it up with a trailer, take it home to my garage & have a full day without a salesman slobbering all over me to try different things.... thicker boots, softest suspension settings, get on/off with the kickstand down, etc. I just wanted some me time & $125 would have been well worth it to make that big of a decision.

Then a shiny Triumph Tiger 1050 distracted me...

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (09-30-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 12:20 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

The bike will be destroyed in one way or another. The main reason I see someone renting a bike is a longer test ride, or riding in an area they're unfamiliar with and on vacation. Which means you'll get people who don't know how to ride at all, and people who are going to push it to the breaking point to see if they want one, as well as people who are in vacation mode and will just treat your bike like a rental. Or like MiniWolf said, it will just go missing.

All I'm saying is there is a reason the company decided to give you 70% of the income to use your bike and not have an inventory of their own. They did the math of their expenses and found giving you 70% was cheaper than doing it themselves in the long run. Also a reason why rental car companies always have the newest models...

Let your relative know the reason you spend money on your bike is because you love it and the money spent makes it that much better, and the cost of repair will highly outweigh any money you get from renting it out.

You don't want to pimp out your bike.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:26 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Let me sum up the idea of renting a personal motorcycle out, no and hell no. Your insurance company would probably have a few choice things to say about it too.
I agree totally, not worth the chance that something might go wrong and the owner is stuck with the bill.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:47 PM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 190 Posts

Great idea! Be sure to get a cash non refundable deposit of twice the bike's value.
also a big life insurance policy with you as beneficiary.
ok I confess I did not even look at that company..
just thought you could use some encouragement. lots of negative posts here.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:58 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,539 Likes on 3,791 Posts

Sounds like a good idea. Sort of like having your cake and eating it to..so long as someone else doesn't eat it.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:13 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,384 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Doubt I'd rent out anything I truly cared about. Now, a disposable scooter or 4, that's another story.

Edit~ I have let fellow RC's barrow a bike or 2 of mine from time to time, to go on a ride with us.

Funny thing, they always pick a Triumph over a Harley. Hmmm...

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 09-30-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:23 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,489 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Renting (or loaning) out your bike is like loaning out your wife.
Someone may throw a rod in either (or both) of them!!!!

Seriously, the liability is plenty enough to stop me from even consider the possibility.

Old 09-30-2018, 01:34 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

You would have to get commercial insurance and be personally liable for all of his problems from this day forward.
You will make no money on this venture unless you get about 50 bikes and a handful of attorneys.
In fact, you will probably lose your house

Old 09-30-2018, 02:01 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Haha haha. I thought I read this thread to be about the possibility of renting out a personal motorcycle!

Quick Reply: Renting out a personal motorcycle