Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Dealer Ignorance (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1255834-dealer-ignorance.html)

blackxpress 10-01-2018 09:14 PM

Dealer Ignorance

In their defense I do appreciate the dealer trying to look out for me but I do wish they were a bit more knowledgeable about their products. I want to buy a Screaming Eagle high flow air cleaner for my 17 FLSTC. I looked it up on the HD website and it said one of the local dealers had one in stock. I rode there and the parts guy told me the one I want doesn’t fit my bike because I have to have a 58 mm throttle body. I told him I’m pretty sure mine is 58 mm since it’s the 103 HO model. He checked with the service department and they told him my bike has a 50 mm throttle body. I left empty handed, wondering why the HD website would say it fits when it doesn’t. I just measured my throttle body and SURPRISE! 58 mm. Guess I’m going back tomorrow to pick up my new air cleaner. Sad when the customer knows more about his Harley than the parts and service depts.

6113_ 10-01-2018 09:17 PM

expectation management

Colorado Mac 10-01-2018 09:24 PM

That sucks. Luckily, the parts guy at my local dealer is great and knows his stuff!

roadrash3 10-01-2018 10:20 PM

I have been to many dealers I know more then their sales and parts guy, I guess for me it's my hobby and my passion, for many of them it's just a job and they don't even own a Harley. Weird cause in my job, I work hard to be a expert in my
Field.

HubBub 10-01-2018 10:37 PM

Equal opportunity Employment. Tell HER it will fit if she argues ask for a guy in the service department wearing WELL worn boots.

martinj 10-01-2018 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by blackxpress (Post 17724728)
In their defense I do appreciate the dealer trying to look out for me but I do wish they were a bit more knowledgeable about their products. I want to buy a Screaming Eagle high flow air cleaner for my 17 FLSTC. I looked it up on the HD website and it said one of the local dealers had one in stock. I rode there and the parts guy told me the one I want doesn’t fit my bike because I have to have a 58 mm throttle body. I told him I’m pretty sure mine is 58 mm since it’s the 103 HO model. He checked with the service department and they told him my bike has a 50 mm throttle body. I left empty handed, wondering why the HD website would say it fits when it doesn’t. I just measured my throttle body and SURPRISE! 58 mm. Guess I’m going back tomorrow to pick up my new air cleaner. Sad when the customer knows more about his Harley than the parts and service depts.

Actually, your 103HO has a 46mm throttle body if it's a cable throttle, and a 50mm throttle body if you have throttle by wire. Your inlet diameter (right where the air cleaner bolts on) is still pretty close to 58mm, however. I just measured my stock TB, as it's sitting right next to me, and the inlet is actually more like 57mm (it's a 46mm TB). The throttle body size relates to the throttle plate diameter, not the inlet diameter.
With that said, the air cleaner you're getting should fit just fine.

blackxpress 10-02-2018 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by martinj (Post 17724986)
Actually, your 103HO has a 46mm throttle body if it's a cable throttle, and a 50mm throttle body if you have throttle by wire. Your inlet diameter (right where the air cleaner bolts on) is still pretty close to 58mm, however. I just measured my stock TB, as it's sitting right next to me, and the inlet is actually more like 57mm (it's a 46mm TB). The throttle body size relates to the throttle plate diameter, not the inlet diameter.
With that said, the air cleaner you're getting should fit just fine.

Thanks for that info. Now I’m confused. The one they tried to sell me is also supposed to fit my bike according to the website. The sticking point has to do with 14-16 Touring and Trike models. One says 14-16 Touring and Trike models equipped with OEM 50 mm throttle body. The other says 14-16 Touring and Trike models equipped with Screamin Eagle 58 mm throttle body. How is it possible that they could both fit my 17 Heritage? Do the OEM 50 mm throttle bodies on the 14-16 Touring models have smaller inlets than the 50 mm one on my bike?

corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com 10-02-2018 06:29 AM

Let me explain what's happening here. The parts person did not realize they had the air cleaner in stock. This particular parts guy wants that air cleaner for himself, so he told you it won't fit.:icon_mrgreen:

uncle kebo 10-02-2018 06:30 AM

Theres a lot of stuff on the HD consumer site and the dealer system that is plain wrong when it comes to fitment. I have had multiple sizing issues with all things air intake. On this one, I say you have to cut the parts guy a break. He has 20 years of active bikes, 20 different models and a zillion parts to track. He's at the mercy of the computer. Not saying its right...

Jehu 10-02-2018 06:38 AM

The jury may be out on the parts guy in question, but the salesman who handled my Road Glide purchase told me that the USB audio input cord on the right side of the fairing is for phone charging!

I was at a BBQ this weekend where a wholesale salesman for a major tire company told me that you couldn't put a certain (very popular) tire on 2500 series 3/4 ton pick-up trucks because the tread depth was too deep for 3/4 ton trucks. I said, what if they are rated Load Range E? He said it has nothing to do with the load range - (put your seat belt on, here it comes) he said it's because 2500 series pick-up trucks (irrespective of what engine ???) have too much torque!

They walk and roam among us ladies and gentleman, they walk and roam among us.