General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks for the Help... NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 07:26 PM
dyna2008
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm
Contrary to popular belief, not everyone rides with a cell phone, and not everyone owns one. I don't own one by choice. I hate the damned things!
Exactly! I own one but it never goes with me. When I'm on the bike that's my time away from the everyday hustle and bustle.
Guess if I need it too bad for me!

The following 2 users liked this post by dyna2008:
Bonnie Storm (10-04-2018), tar_snake (10-05-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 07:29 PM
Wowser
Road Warrior
Received 423 Likes on 257 Posts

Did you try flagging anyone down? Make some sort of gesture that might’ve signaled that you were in distress and needed a hand?

Or did you just sit there and watch everybody ride by?

I usually don’t stop, and when I do it’s under very specific circumstances. If you weren’t signaling for help then I can’t blame them for going past.

Last edited by Wowser; 10-04-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:07 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

Originally Posted by W.Murphy
I was Happily riding my 1978 FXE Super Glide this morning and suddenly she sputtered & died, while I sat there on the side of the road at least 8 Harleys went by, not 1 bothered to stop to see if they could help or if I needed any help.. Unbelievable, I Never pass another biker on the side of the road without stopping to help, Never! Especially a lone scoot & rider obviously having trouble... Very disheartening....
But I bet they're the same "bro's" that wave at every motorcycle they pass going the other way. Brotherhood, right? But then it's all backed up by some of the responses youi got that it's your own fault for not jumping up and down, sending up a flare or not having a cell phone. Truth be told, most people are too afraid to stop and help or even if they did stop they don't want to look dumb by not having a clue as to how to help you with your problem. At least they didn't give you the old two finger wave as they sped by.

Last edited by Hey Man; 10-04-2018 at 08:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hey Man:
tar_snake (10-05-2018), W.Murphy (10-05-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 08:17 PM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

With the reliability of today's modern motorcycles, it is very seldom that someone will actually need help. It is a nice gesture to ask anyways, just in case.

It would be nice if they thought the "helmet behind the motorcycle" gesture in the motorcycle training courses.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (10-05-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 08:36 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,760 Likes on 6,200 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
That day, I saw a rider on a Goldwing stopped on the shoulder.
I asked "Are you ok?" He gave me this go to hell look like he wondered why I was there. I told him "I thought you were broke down." This guy said to me...."That Harley will break down long before this Wing will."
Well...so much for the "You meet the nicest people on a Honda".
Shoulda stabbed him.

tar_snake (10-05-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 08:47 PM
tbird71
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It aint like the old days that's for sure. But most of us rode shovels back then and
when we pulled over we actually NEEDED help.
HEY MAN, I'll be playing "Low Spark Of Hi Heeled Boys"
in my head the rest of the night after readin your post

The following 2 users liked this post by tbird71:
Hey Man (10-05-2018), tar_snake (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 03:21 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

The reality is, 8 out of the 10 riders that passed you know nothing more about making something run that doesn't than my youngest daughter. I will, at the very least, give and look for the thumbs up sign from any rider on the side of the road. Most of the time when it won't kill either of us I will stop, even if I'm going somewhere. My rough estimation is about 1 out of 30 are truly broken down/out of gas, etc. The rest are dicking with Ipods, phones, GPS or something else while cars pass within feet of them with their back to traffic. I've owned vintage bikes and know all too well how a "well sorted" machine can turn into a paperweight on an otherwise great day. On one such occasion, without a cell phone, one of my bikes sprung a fuel line leak and threatened to incinerate us both. Because I wasn't counting how many bikes went past me without offering to help, I was able to think about pulling the vent hose from the battery, cut it to length with my Buck 110 and be on my way. Always be prepared to self rescue, this too was a part of the "biker" code.

OP, I'm not kicking you but it is what it is. More people who stop on the side of the road on motorcycles don't need or want help from someone and most everybody knows that. I would say the majority of riders that pass a stopped rider don't have ANY idea how an ICE works, let alone how to fix it. Given those two things, I'd say that's why you got passed by. In the end you did "self rescue" and all is well. I've always found that it's faster to only rely what solution I can come up with as opposed to what help or solution someone else who happens by might have.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 10-05-2018 at 05:44 AM.
W.Murphy (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 03:58 AM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,529 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Next time, break down closer to me. My Shovel did that same thing once. The cover was old and didn't mount properly. Got a new cover, and all mounting is good now.

If it makes you fell any better, I stopped to help a guy on a NEW Harley on the side of the road, I have extra points, condenser, spark plugs, bulbs, fuses, etc. and a reasonable amount of road tools. None of that stuff applies to the new bikes, so he was SOL. I did let him use my cellphone to call the dealer for help though.
That's ironic that you were on a bike with no new technology, but had a cell phone, and the guy on the new bike with all of today's technology didn't have a cell phone and had to borrow yours. IDK, I just found that funny.

The following 2 users liked this post by ConfuciusSay:
Hey Man (10-05-2018), RHPAW (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 05:26 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts

Originally Posted by ConfuciusSay
That's ironic that you were on a bike with no new technology, but had a cell phone, and the guy on the new bike with all of today's technology didn't have a cell phone and had to borrow yours. IDK, I just found that funny.
Me too

Kfox64 (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 06:12 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Most of the modern day "Bikers" barely know how to check their own oil.....If they do stop, they can't help.

The following 4 users liked this post by Greezey Rider:
Campy Roadie (10-06-2018), rjheff (10-05-2018), tar_snake (10-05-2018), TSheff (10-06-2018)

Quick Reply: Thanks for the Help... NOT!