Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Thanks for the Help... NOT! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1256188-thanks-for-the-help-not.html)

W.Murphy 10-04-2018 03:02 PM

Thanks for the Help... NOT!

I was Happily riding my 1978 FXE Super Glide this morning and suddenly she sputtered & died, while I sat there on the side of the road at least 8 Harleys went by, not 1 bothered to stop to see if they could help or if I needed any help.. Unbelievable, I Never pass another biker on the side of the road without stopping to help, Never! Especially a lone scoot & rider obviously having trouble... Very disheartening... I was lucky I had just passed the local boat repair shop, walked down and the owner had a small trailer with ramps and he came & helped me get her loaded and home.. Thank You A-1 Marine of Matlacha, You guys Rock!!!

Thanks for letting me rant, feeling better now... LOL...

Ended up the chrome cover over my coil vibrated over and hit 1 of the connections shorting & burning out my coil, easy fix, guess it's time to get rid of the points & condenser and go to electronic ignition...

wyndnface 10-04-2018 04:05 PM

No excuses BUT,I'm thinking with cell phones today ,they ASS---umed you had called some one to assist you .. There is a indicator that if you need help is where you place your helmet ..My understanding is that you place your helmet on the ground street side behind your bike signals you need help....BUt, I'm an old rider so the new ones might not know of this................
I pass all the time unless their helmet is on the ground behind their bike ...I stop to assist............................................ .................................................. ............................................. Old Geezer loving the wind in my face....

RHPAW 10-04-2018 04:21 PM

Next time, break down closer to me. My Shovel did that same thing once. The cover was old and didn't mount properly. Got a new cover, and all mounting is good now.

If it makes you fell any better, I stopped to help a guy on a NEW Harley on the side of the road, I have extra points, condenser, spark plugs, bulbs, fuses, etc. and a reasonable amount of road tools. None of that stuff applies to the new bikes, so he was SOL. I did let him use my cellphone to call the dealer for help though.

Cygnusx51 10-04-2018 04:21 PM

I’m gonna go make a drink and curse the time you spent on the side of the road.

RollaMo 10-04-2018 04:24 PM

I have stopped multiple times to see if a rider needed help.
In every single case, they were just taking a break, checking their phone messages, or something other than an actual bike problem.

Unless you actually tried to flag someone down as they went by, I sure wouldn't be upset if they didn't stop.

Bonnie Storm 10-04-2018 04:43 PM

OP, sorry no one stopped. I always stop to see if whomever needs help with their bike. I carry some tools and a tire repair kit along with an air pump. I don't have a cell phone, but I figure I can get other help if needed since my bike is in working order. If they didn't need help, no problem. They would let me know, thank me for stopping, and I would be on my way.

I have also had many on bikes who would pull off to see if I needed help and not all were Harley's!

Daytona Fat Boy 10-04-2018 04:44 PM

Yeah, its not like the old days. I guess most people assume everyone has a cell phone.
Had the local HOG group ride by me one time. They did wave though.
Five or six 1%ers (I am not a m/c member) stopped and offered to help me out.
Jes sayin', the motorcycle world ain't what it used to be.

Cbyway 10-04-2018 04:53 PM

I posted this story a few months ago when it happened but I'll repeat myself.

That day, I saw a rider on a Goldwing stopped on the shoulder. I was on my bike, I was northbound on the freeway he was on the southbound side. I took the next exit and can up behind him to offer assistance.

I asked "Are you ok?" He gave me this go to hell look like he wondered why I was there. I told him "I thought you were broke down." This guy said to me...."That Harley will break down long before this Wing will."

I just said "Have a nice day" and rode off. I too was always told to put your helmet on the ground behind your bike if you need help.

Bone Doc 10-04-2018 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by W.Murphy (Post 17732196)
... rider obviously having trouble...

Please elaborate. What did you do that made it obvious you were having trouble? Like others posted, many people stop on the side of the road for non-emergent reasons.

Stiggy 10-04-2018 05:05 PM

I'll slow down and offer a thumbs up / thumbs down gesture which gives them a chance to indicate whether they need help. All have been a smile and a wave (a thanks but no thanks,) but the one couple coming back from Daytona with a broken throttle cable. (And they already had help on the way.)
I typically don't need help. I've got a cell phone, tow insurance and a poncho in case it rains. I think most folks are like that now.