General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passed on an off-ramp today

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 01:46 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Shoulda stabbed them...no better place.
Gotta stab em', he's in Canada

Old 10-06-2018, 02:24 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,171 Likes on 11,106 Posts

Originally Posted by M8USA
Thanks for the info but my response was to "UPFLYING". Under your conditions how can you use situational awareness.
]
Rode to a remote job site today and had something quite odd happen, which at first surprised the **** out of me, Anyways, it freaked me out big time, no flash of lights, no horn, nothing...barely squeaked past me, just like I wasn't there.MAN !

If this incident scared the **** out of you, you lost situational awareness. Nothing should surprise you when riding, expected the unexpected and have a plan when it happens.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,757 Likes on 1,438 Posts

Originally Posted by ve9aa
Rode to a remote job site today and had something quite odd happen, which at first surprised the **** out of me, then pi$$ed me off, but then I let it go.

I was coming off a divided 4-lane, going from 110km/h to a 50km/h off ramp that was perhaps 500meters long . I was about 1/2 way down this ramp in the middle of the only lane when a little car blew past me going 80-90km/h. I was like WTF, good thing I wasn't a little left of center where I normally ride, but this was a 1-lane, admittedly a little on the wide side, but definately a single 1-lane off ramp. I estimate the car was 10-14" just to the left of my left mirror.

Car essentially blew the stopsign at the bottom of this ramp and then 400meters up the road turned into a hospital where I was going to work.

I couldn't see the details, but the car had a logo on it's doors (which at first I thought may have been some kind of at-home nursing folks) and I was going to confront the driver in the parking lot, but then I said, really what would that gain?

They were either texting, stoned, or maybe it was a real emergency and they were looking to get a friend or family member to the Emergency Room for all I know. (although they didn't pull up to the doors; they went into the parking lot)

Anyways, it freaked me out big time, no flash of lights, no horn, nothing...barely squeaked past me, just like I wasn't there.

MAN !
Stoned? Doubt that, more likely drunk.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:54 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Me and the wife were two up and getting on the freeway the other day. Had a jerkoff with his girl on the back of his softail get on right behind us. I'm trying to merge in and have to stay to the right of the entrance ramp because he wants to gas on it and hit the hammer lane. Its guys like this that give us a bad name. He rode on down for two exits and got off. He waved as we went by and we just ignored them. Some people I just dont get.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:00 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
What a cowardly thing to do. It's stupid too because it's a criminal act whereas confronting the driver, in a non violent way, isn't.
Confronting a driver is an escalation. If things go south and you end up with legal issues, the escalation is a key component of what the outcome will be.

You aren't going to teach anyone a lesson or accomplish anything other than being able to post on a forum that you are billy bad ***.

Almost no one intentionally tries to run you over, cut you off or whatever. Those things happen for various other reasons such as being distracted by a number of things such as a phone, fiddling with a gps etc

Old 10-06-2018, 10:37 PM
Bearpaw Mearle
Road Captain
Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by mike in dallas
Me and the wife were two up and getting on the freeway the other day. Had a jerkoff with his girl on the back of his softail get on right behind us. I'm trying to merge in and have to stay to the right of the entrance ramp because he wants to gas on it and hit the hammer lane. Its guys like this that give us a bad name. He rode on down for two exits and got off. He waved as we went by and we just ignored them. Some people I just dont get.
I've seen this before. I think they must be former crotch rocket riders with a new Harley purchase.

Originally Posted by Prot
Confronting a driver is an escalation. If things go south and you end up with legal issues, the escalation is a key component of what the outcome will be.

You aren't going to teach anyone a lesson or accomplish anything other than being able to post on a forum that you are billy bad ***.

Almost no one intentionally tries to run you over, cut you off or whatever. Those things happen for various other reasons such as being distracted by a number of things such as a phone, fiddling with a gps etc
Usually that is the case, but I've heard of people intentionally targeting bikers because they are "scum".

Old 10-06-2018, 10:51 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by ve9aa
Rode to a remote job site today and had something quite odd happen, which at first surprised the **** out of me, then pi$$ed me off, but then I let it go.

I was coming off a divided 4-lane, going from 110km/h to a 50km/h off ramp that was perhaps 500meters long . I was about 1/2 way down this ramp in the middle of the only lane when a little car blew past me going 80-90km/h. I was like WTF, good thing I wasn't a little left of center where I normally ride, but this was a 1-lane, admittedly a little on the wide side, but definately a single 1-lane off ramp. I estimate the car was 10-14" just to the left of my left mirror.

Car essentially blew the stopsign at the bottom of this ramp and then 400meters up the road turned into a hospital where I was going to work.

I couldn't see the details, but the car had a logo on it's doors (which at first I thought may have been some kind of at-home nursing folks) and I was going to confront the driver in the parking lot, but then I said, really what would that gain?

They were either texting, stoned, or maybe it was a real emergency and they were looking to get a friend or family member to the Emergency Room for all I know. (although they didn't pull up to the doors; they went into the parking lot)

Anyways, it freaked me out big time, no flash of lights, no horn, nothing...barely squeaked past me, just like I wasn't there.

MAN !
my guess is they were late to work

Old 10-06-2018, 11:34 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot

It's not an escalation of anything unless someone becomes abusive, threatening or violent. I normally don't interact with other drivers but I would sooner follow them and talk to them than vandalize their vehicle.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:19 AM
Cogswell
Road Captain
Received 261 Likes on 126 Posts

You were doing your thing and didn't see them coming, and they were doing theirs. Don't take it personally.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:38 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Shittttt, I had a guy on a Harley over take me on my right while I was in the left lane on a 2 lane freeway.
He used the last 200 odd feet of the “ On Ramp lane “ to make the pass.
I saw him flying up from behind, an SUV was overtaking me on my left so he slipped into the “ On Ramp “, blew past me , gave me the bird and almost sideswiped the SUV that over took me on my left.

My point is , It was all over in 15 seconds, I was very well aware of my environment, But ya just can’t predict Stupid. Only prepare for what might happen when it does.

Wiz Out 🍺

Quick Reply: Passed on an off-ramp today