Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Passed on an off-ramp today (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1256305-passed-on-an-off-ramp-today.html)

ve9aa 10-05-2018 03:26 PM

Passed on an off-ramp today

Rode to a remote job site today and had something quite odd happen, which at first surprised the sh!t out of me, then pi$$ed me off, but then I let it go.

I was coming off a divided 4-lane, going from 110km/h to a 50km/h off ramp that was perhaps 500meters long . I was about 1/2 way down this ramp in the middle of the only lane when a little car blew past me going 80-90km/h. I was like WTF,:icon_fryingpan: good thing I wasn't a little left of center where I normally ride, but this was a 1-lane, admittedly a little on the wide side, but definately a single 1-lane off ramp. I estimate the car was 10-14" just to the left of my left mirror.

Car essentially blew the stopsign at the bottom of this ramp and then 400meters up the road turned into a hospital where I was going to work.

I couldn't see the details, but the car had a logo on it's doors (which at first I thought may have been some kind of at-home nursing folks) and I was going to confront the driver in the parking lot, but then I said, really what would that gain?

They were either texting, stoned, or maybe it was a real emergency and they were looking to get a friend or family member to the Emergency Room for all I know. (although they didn't pull up to the doors; they went into the parking lot)

Anyways, it freaked me out big time, no flash of lights, no horn, nothing...barely squeaked past me, just like I wasn't there.

MAN !

nobodyknowsme 10-05-2018 03:31 PM

I am shaking after reading that.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...07c7dcd75e.jpg

shorelasHD 10-05-2018 03:39 PM

I have a close call almost every time I commute to work in Northern New Jersey. Only my "spidey sense" is keeping me alive and unscathed. :icon_nic:

RHPAW 10-05-2018 04:25 PM

Shoulda stabbed them...no better place.

upflying 10-05-2018 04:33 PM

Good wake up call, that happened because you lost your situational awareness.

5150northrider 10-05-2018 04:36 PM

Good choice to let it go.... not easy but the best choice.

M8USA 10-05-2018 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 17735042)
Good wake up call, that happened because you lost your situational awareness.

Please explain, what you are saying makes no sense to me. Was it on a curve, approaching an intersection. Supposed to keep your eyes behind you.

ve9aa 10-05-2018 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by M8USA (Post 17735058)
Please explain, what you are saying makes no sense to me. Was it on a curve, approaching an intersection. Supposed to keep your eyes behind you.

The ramp exited the highway to the right and on a downhill.
It's also quite S shaped.
I was in the middle of the "S"...
That's where I got passed on my left hand side.
I would've had to have been looking in my mirrors every 2-3 seconds to have seen this car coming.
One doesn't normally get passed on a single lane anything...especially since I was in the dead middle.
I guess the issue is this ramp is probably a little on the wide side for a single lane and they either felt entitled or were actually in a (real) hurry
or just didn't see me...though there's lotsa real-estate on my bike, I wear a tricolour Harley jacket and a big orange pumpkin for a (FF) helmet.
(yes, I know people have run into fire trucks and ambulances., all lit up)

Maybe they were just updating their FaceBook status? Who the freak knows.

I was waiting for my son the other night after dark in a mall parking lot and swear-to-God saw more than one car travelling at road
speeds (50-60km/h) where the limit is 20.

People just don't GAF. They're all entitled nowadays.

M8USA 10-05-2018 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by ve9aa (Post 17735095)
The ramp exited the highway to the right and on a downhill.
It's also quite S shaped.
I was in the middle of the "S"...
That's where I got passed on my left hand side.
I would've had to have been looking in my mirrors every 2-3 seconds to have seen this car coming.
One doesn't normally get passed on a single lane anything...especially since I was in the dead middle.
I guess the issue is this ramp is probably a little on the wide side for a single lane and they either felt entitled or were actually in a (real) hurry
or just didn't see me...though there's lotsa real-estate on my bike, I wear a tricolour Harley jacket and a big orange pumpkin for a (FF) helmet.
(yes, I know people have run into fire trucks and ambulances., all lit up)

Maybe they were just updating their FaceBook status? Who the freak knows.

I was waiting for my son the other night after dark in a mall parking lot and swear-to-God saw more than one car travelling at road
speeds (50-60km/h) where the limit is 20.

People just don't GAF. They're all entitled nowadays.

Thanks for the info but my response was to "UPFLYING". Under your conditions how can you use situational awareness.

Redoilokie 10-05-2018 07:12 PM

Left me with blue balls. If you're gonna get me all revved up like that, you gotta learn to finish better.