Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Celly drivers vs. road rage (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1256891-celly-drivers-vs-road-rage.html)

Bend Iron 10-09-2018 04:31 PM

Celly drivers vs. road rage

I am about OVER asshats with phones in their hand while driving. Virtually EVERYONE I know does it AND has a great excuse. "Just a quick glance", Only important stuff" etc. A few days ago, a woman almost hit me, never even noticed it. Down the road we end up side by side at a red light...her still chatting away. I tooted my horn and motioned for her to hang up. I got not only the finger but a litany of profanity. Wrong man Bitch! I slid over after she left the green and got behind her. I did nothing but follow her for close to 45 minutes as she nervously looked in the mirror. She looped around town several times before pulling into a garage. I pulled up in front of the house and just sat there for another 20. I was HOPING she would call the cops. Nope. After a while, I saw her peek out of the front drapes. I gave her to old "two fingers to the eyes as in I see you" and roared off exercising my Thunderheader. My wife thinks I could have gotten arrested for road rage. I say NOT! What say you?

Campy Roadie 10-09-2018 04:45 PM

I'm in.

Five pages at least.

ElectraJim 10-09-2018 04:49 PM

IBTL. :icon_flamethrow:

Sanjuro 10-09-2018 04:49 PM

Hmm... I don't know if you could have been arrested, but certainly the police could have come out and done a bit of questioning.

I have mixed feelings about this scenario. On the one hand, I would say "let it go", it is not worth it. In today's crazy world, she could have done something to you that would have you regretting life (car beats motorcycle every time). In this particular case, nothing bad happened. So... that leads me to another thought.

Now perhaps she learned something.
or
In a more global sense, you perpetuated the "don't mess with a biker" stereotype. And I do happen to believe that "biker stereotype" does have some benefits when riding. It is my experience that when I ride my motorcycle (I am in no way a biker), cars tend to give me a bit more space than when I am driving my car. I do not get tailgated nearly as often, for example.

Just a random thought.

R,
Sanjuro

Bend Iron 10-09-2018 04:59 PM

As a site newbie, it seems I may have dug up some old discussions? Not sure how to read the responses. Well, my bad if I posted in haste and pissedoffedness. Still tho, very curious as to thoughts. I am not a biker type either, but I do wear full leather, black with a few random patches, none club related and I admit that I seem to get a wider birth most days. Let it go is probably the right move. I am the type of guy that wants to be part of a solution, but perhaps that is a fools endeavor. I actually called the local PD today and had a great talk. Same..same. Be safe and move on. Make no actionable threats.

GalvTexGuy 10-09-2018 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sanjuro
Hmm...car beats motorcycle every time...

That's the one thing I try to remind myself every time I have a close encounter with a cager. There are just too many angry drivers out there these days.

nobodyknowsme 10-09-2018 05:12 PM

OIf you spoke to the law did you tell them how you handled it and if so what was their response?

Bonnie Storm 10-09-2018 05:13 PM

Really? You wasted over an hour basically harassing some lady because she ALMOST hit you?

She probably never even realized what she had done, but now your hot on her tail and sit in front of her place (in a threatening manor) yet you think this isn't a form of road rage? I may be wrong here, but charges like "Harassment" & "Stalking come to mind.

These things happen every day (almost hit you due to her inattentive driving) but it is up to us to be aware and try to avoid those drivers. In many states there are laws on the books against the use of cell phones, but are generally looked on as a secondary offense which means they need to be stopped for something else first. Some states have made it into a primary offense which is fine, but it's rare that it is ever enforced. So it's up to us to pay even more attention in order to avoid those inattentive drivers.

Since there is nothing you or I can do about these inattentive drivers, our best bet it just to let it go. Don't let it get under your skin! Eventually somewhere down the road a mayors/senators/presidents son/relative/close friend will be seriously injured or killed by one of these idiots on their ever precious cell phones and then the laws will be enforced with a vengeance. Until then just suck it up and keep a vigilant eye out in order to avoid those who choose to drive while playing on their cell phones or other electronic devices.

BTW, the last 3 incidents where I've been hit were all using their cell phones. The last incident nearly took cost me my life! Those injuries cost me dearly and some of those injuries have been constant reminders of what happened. The incident that just keeps on giving long after the initial date it happened. Years after! But, I am still riding!

Bend Iron 10-09-2018 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm (Post 17745169)
Really? You wasted over an hour basically harassing some lady because she ALMOST hit you?

She probably never even realized what she had done, but now your hot on her tail and sit in front of her place (in a threatening manor) yet you think this isn't a form of road rage? I may be wrong here, but charges like "Harassment" & "Stalking come to mind.

These things happen every day (almost hit you due to her inattentive driving) but it is up to us to be aware and try to avoid those drivers. In many states there are laws on the books against the use of cell phones, but are generally looked on as a secondary offense which means they need to be stopped for something else first. Some states have made it into a primary offense which is fine, but it's rare that it is ever enforced. So it's up to us to pay even more attention in order to avoid those inattentive drivers.

Since there is nothing you or I can do about these inattentive drivers, our best bet it just to let it go. Don't let it get under your skin! Eventually somewhere down the road a mayors/senators/presidents son/relative/close friend will be seriously injured or killed by one of these idiots on their ever precious cell phones and then the laws will be enforced with a vengeance. Until then just suck it up and keep a vigilant eye out in order to avoid those who choose to drive while playing on their cell phones or other electronic devices.

BTW, the last 3 incidents where I've been hit were all using their cell phones. The last incident nearly took cost me my life! Those injuries cost me dearly and some of those injuries have been constant reminders of what happened. The incident that just keeps on giving long after the initial date it happened. Years after! But, I am still riding!

Thanks for your response! Just a couple quick notes. I very politely suggested that she hang up the phone. Her response was finger and extreme, racial profanity(I am caucasian she wasnt). I truly and honestly WANTED PD to show up. It was the only way that a calm, frank discussion could be had. I had no other intent than to change her ways. I am not sure how I will behave upon the next incident, but perhaps this thread will impact my decision. One last note, I am 55. I have been riding some form of motorized two wheeler since age 5 or 6. Raced d Bikes, track days ,all that. I have never been in any crash (dirt bikes dont count) solo or other wise. I attribute that to practice, but mostly vigilance and head on a swivel mentality. Thanks all. It is a head scratcher for me.

Bricklayer 10-09-2018 05:29 PM

I believe a lot of women think they can flip off a guy and cuss him out with no repercussions just because they're a woman. Although I don't agree with following her around ( for almost 45 min really? ) Maybe you taught her a little lesson and she'll think twice before she flips off anyone else.