Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Where/When does HD advertise? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1256986-where-when-does-hd-advertise.html)

OldRegulator 10-10-2018 02:06 PM

Where/When does HD advertise?

I haven't seen a Harley Davidson TV advertisement in a long, long time, like forever, but I don't have cable/direct TV either and don't watch much of the same.

Have they ever had a SuperBowl ad? Do they advertise during weeknights? I suppose now that not even the baseball games are broadcast locally it requires a cable box.

Radio ads? I know some stations are sponsored by the local HD dealership and it appears in the description beneath the channel on my radio but no real corporate advertisements to speak of.

Maybe the tough, macho, cool, suave image is difficult to convey in a more politically correct world?

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **********************************************

Dear Harley Davidson,

Not that you give a shit but I'd like to see a good old school advertisement from you in the near future.

Many Thanks,
OldRegulator

Goose_NC 10-10-2018 02:20 PM

Why do they need to spend that money to advertise?

OldRegulator 10-10-2018 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Goose_NC (Post 17747217)
Why do they need to spend that money to advertise?

To satisfy my request. ;)

It may also help with sales, you know convincing people who don't currently motorcycle to start.

Wasn't it their marketing campaign in the 80's and 90's that brought such overwhelming success?

Sierra977 10-10-2018 02:36 PM

Several good privately-made Harley "commercials" on YT

Example

Cazador 10-10-2018 02:42 PM

Every Tom, Dick and Harry walking around with HD bar and shield on everything from a hat to their socks is not enough?

IronAss 10-10-2018 02:44 PM

They advertise heavy during the AFT races on television.

MidlifeCrisisHD 10-10-2018 03:21 PM

I was having a really lazy day channel surfing a couple weeks ago and ended up watching a lumberjack competition for a couple of hours. The competition itself had H-D as one of its sponsors and during commercial breaks the company had exactly ONE commercial in rotation. The same commercial, over and over. It was the video from the website along with guys on skateboards with the HD logo on them. Is there more than one marketing message that the MoCo wants to deliver?

Cazador 10-10-2018 03:50 PM

Maybe they could put their logo on the floors of MMA rings?

ScottinAZ 10-10-2018 03:53 PM

I dont see any HD ads on tv, or on the cable channels. Even on the motorhead channels or with motorcycling type shows, there is an absence of ANY manufacturer ads on. No Harley, No Indian, No Metrics, nothing motorcycling related with regards to ads. Now, on my social media feeds, i get tons of ads for Harley, and a few from Indian. These however are likely search/activity driven, and not everyone sees them. Its a shame really. the entire industry is lamenting low sales, yet none actively cough up the advertising bucks to do anything to change it. Really the only powersports ads I see are for the damn side by side thingies.

Cazador 10-10-2018 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by ScottinAZ (Post 17747379)
I dont see any HD ads on tv, or on the cable channels. Even on the motorhead channels or with motorcycling type shows, there is an absence of ANY manufacturer ads on. No Harley, No Indian, No Metrics, nothing motorcycling related with regards to ads. Now, on my social media feeds, i get tons of ads for Harley, and a few from Indian. These however are likely search/activity driven, and not everyone sees them. Its a shame really. the entire industry is lamenting low sales, yet none actively cough up the advertising bucks to do anything to change it. Really the only powersports ads I see are for the damn side by side thingies.

yeah but, progressive insurance does quite a bit of motorcycle advertising.