General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where/When does HD advertise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 02:06 PM
OldRegulator
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where/When does HD advertise?

I haven't seen a Harley Davidson TV advertisement in a long, long time, like forever, but I don't have cable/direct TV either and don't watch much of the same.

Have they ever had a SuperBowl ad? Do they advertise during weeknights? I suppose now that not even the baseball games are broadcast locally it requires a cable box.

Radio ads? I know some stations are sponsored by the local HD dealership and it appears in the description beneath the channel on my radio but no real corporate advertisements to speak of.

Maybe the tough, macho, cool, suave image is difficult to convey in a more politically correct world?

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **********************************************

Dear Harley Davidson,

Not that you give a **** but I'd like to see a good old school advertisement from you in the near future.

Many Thanks,
OldRegulator

Old 10-10-2018, 02:20 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,181 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Why do they need to spend that money to advertise?

Old 10-10-2018, 02:25 PM
OldRegulator
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
Why do they need to spend that money to advertise?
To satisfy my request.

It may also help with sales, you know convincing people who don't currently motorcycle to start.

Wasn't it their marketing campaign in the 80's and 90's that brought such overwhelming success?

Old 10-10-2018, 02:36 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Several good privately-made Harley "commercials" on YT

Example

Old 10-10-2018, 02:42 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Every Tom, Dick and Harry walking around with HD bar and shield on everything from a hat to their socks is not enough?

The following users liked this post:
ElectraJim (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 02:44 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

They advertise heavy during the AFT races on television.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:21 PM
MidlifeCrisisHD
Cruiser
Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

I was having a really lazy day channel surfing a couple weeks ago and ended up watching a lumberjack competition for a couple of hours. The competition itself had H-D as one of its sponsors and during commercial breaks the company had exactly ONE commercial in rotation. The same commercial, over and over. It was the video from the website along with guys on skateboards with the HD logo on them. Is there more than one marketing message that the MoCo wants to deliver?

Old 10-10-2018, 03:50 PM
Cazador

Maybe they could put their logo on the floors of MMA rings?

The following users liked this post:
Webster_B614 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 03:53 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,205 Likes on 5,539 Posts

I dont see any HD ads on tv, or on the cable channels. Even on the motorhead channels or with motorcycling type shows, there is an absence of ANY manufacturer ads on. No Harley, No Indian, No Metrics, nothing motorcycling related with regards to ads. Now, on my social media feeds, i get tons of ads for Harley, and a few from Indian. These however are likely search/activity driven, and not everyone sees them. Its a shame really. the entire industry is lamenting low sales, yet none actively cough up the advertising bucks to do anything to change it. Really the only powersports ads I see are for the damn side by side thingies.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:42 PM
Cazador

Originally Posted by ScottinAZ
I dont see any HD ads on tv, or on the cable channels. Even on the motorhead channels or with motorcycling type shows, there is an absence of ANY manufacturer ads on. No Harley, No Indian, No Metrics, nothing motorcycling related with regards to ads. Now, on my social media feeds, i get tons of ads for Harley, and a few from Indian. These however are likely search/activity driven, and not everyone sees them. Its a shame really. the entire industry is lamenting low sales, yet none actively cough up the advertising bucks to do anything to change it. Really the only powersports ads I see are for the damn side by side thingies.
yeah but, progressive insurance does quite a bit of motorcycle advertising.

Quick Reply: Where/When does HD advertise?