General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time winterizing my Harley

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 09:55 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Originally Posted by rome517
So I'm sure Ill get laughed at but its worth it to get some solid information. I live in Michigan and it gets cold so how much should I actually do to prep this Fat Boy for storage? What I've gathered so far is I should add some fuel treatment, drain the oil and remove the battery and store it inside. Is there anything else anyone suggest ? Should I store it up on my floor jack ? Any help would be appreciated
I live in SE Michigan, I dont really do much. Full tank, seafoam, battery tender, cover. If you want to put it up on your jack, depending on the jack (I have a J&S), I would leave the weight on the support stops, not the bottle jack.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:23 AM
Crabchuck
Road Master
Received 622 Likes on 317 Posts

If you're more than half way through your engine oil interval, change the engine oil. Fill the tank COMPLETELY full (with ethanol free fuel if you can get it) and add Sta-Bil. Run the engine for a few minutes to cycle the stabilizer into the injectors. Clean it and cover with something breathable (no tarps, just asking for mold). If you have a lift, get the tires off the ground. If not, jsut move it about a foot ever couple weeks. Attach a battery tender and start counting down to spring.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:53 AM
rome517
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the tips...I guess I was overthinking it. I appreciate it

Old 10-11-2018, 10:54 AM
rome517
4th Gear

ok awesome I will use the jack, it helps when its upright. Gives me more room to get around it. Im down in Lenawee County SE Michigan.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:55 AM
rome517
4th Gear

Awesome I appreciate it

Old 10-11-2018, 11:02 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Don't get too **** about it. First: get a good battery tender and hook it up. Next: run the engine until it's hot. That will clear out any moisture. Then run it with the fuel off to clear fuel out the carb. Add stabil to the tank if you don't have a full tank of gas. Then: put it up on your lift. Finally cover it with a light breathable cloth dust cover. That's it. Cold has absolutely no affect on a bike. Nor does cold do any harm to a battery. However, moisture can occur if after a cold spell you get a warm damp spell. Personally, since 1975 I've just used a battery tender and my lift. That's all. Never had any problems with fuel, oil, or battery or anything else related to winter. And I put on lots of miles.

Last edited by Bingee; 10-11-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:09 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

Maybe an oil change, maybe a battery tender if I have one, fill up the gas tank and DO NOT start it this winter unless you are going to ride it.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:12 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by 2whlr4life
You can skip the jack if you let the summer air out of your tires and replace it with winter air.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:34 AM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
1 last thing.. If you live in rodent country, field mice love nesting in mufflers.. A plastic bag over each tip held on by a rubber band works well

What I use to keep the rodents out. Cheap dryer sheets. I've been using them on my boats, bikes, anything in'winter storage'. Done that for years, never an issue. Any scent type works great. Just stuff them easily into any crevices, cubby holes etc. Come spring they go into the wife's laundry room. 3 per bike. About 9/10 in my fishin' boat.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:43 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,353 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Originally Posted by 2whlr4life
What I use to keep the rodents out. Cheap dryer sheets. I've been using them on my boats, bikes, anything in'winter storage'. Done that for years, never an issue. Any scent type works great. Just stuff them easily into any crevices, cubby holes etc. Come spring they go into the wife's laundry room. 3 per bike. About 9/10 in my fishin' boat.
NYC mice, well lol.... My old Vette, I had about 12 of them in there and one year I had a nest in my muffler after I balled up a bounce sheet and put it in the tip...These 2 mice shot out like a 50 cal.

Quick Reply: 1st time winterizing my Harley