General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time winterizing my Harley

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 08:13 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

What people said above and if you use the search function there are tons of information on this.

The following users liked this post:
rome517 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 09:06 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by strych9
I live in Nebraska, so I know the cold. Draining the oil isn't necessary. My winter storage routine consists of washing, polishing, and waxing my bike. I fill the fuel tank full of fresh fuel, then add the appropriate amount of Stabil. Plug in a battery tender, jack it up far enough to get the tires off the concrete, throw a cover on it and let her sleep until Spring. If you don't have a jack, get a couple of pieces of plywood under your tires. It keeps the moisture away from the tires.

I've never had a battery fail prematurely from doing it this way; a charged battery generally won't freeze. AGM batteries are even better at resisting the cold.
+1 Here in Colorado, exactly the same routine for me. Have done it for 10 years with no issues. There are days in almost every month of the year where the roads are clear eonough for a quick ride as long as you watch the shadowed areas so it usually gets fired-up at least once in the Winter months. Messing with additives are not something I've ever done for this sort of routine temporary storage.

rome517 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 09:45 PM
Oakers3
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,763 Likes on 908 Posts

I don't know if any of you gents know this but look up Buyrealgas.com. Ethanol free gas in your area. Store you bike with E free gas

rome517 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 09:52 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Oakers3
I don't know if any of you gents know this but look up Buyrealgas.com. Ethanol free gas in your area. Store you bike with E free gas
Very cool! Thanks man.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts
Default pure gas

Originally Posted by Oakers3
There's also Pure Gas, which seems to know about more stations, at least in my area than Buyrealgas does. It's both a mobile app as well as web based for PC.

rome517 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 11:04 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I've had multiple bikes for many years and have always stored them in unheated attached garage or a locked storage facility with only a couple of issues.

The carb'ed bikes do sometimes have issues with ethanol and need to be thoroughly disassembled, cleaned and reassembled if they do not idle or rev up after the engine gets warm.

The other issue involved my wife's '08 T/C 96 Heritage.
I checked the oil BEFORE I started up the engine and it was nearly a quart low so I added enough oil to bring it up to the full mark..
(I should have remembered that I had changed all of the fluids prior to putting it away for the winter).

I started the bike, rode it about 10 (or so miles) to the dealership for a new set of tires---no issues.
After installing the tires, the tech took it for a test ride, again, no issues.

When we went to pick the bike up, after it a few miles, I thought I'd knock some carbon build up out of the engine and opened it up (moderately) for a mile or so and then I saw my wife (who was following me in her car) flashing her headlights so I pulled to the shoulder to see what she wanted.
There as oil all over the read fender of the bike as well as oil all over the front of her car!

All that I can figure is that the engine oil had "sumped" from the oil tank down into the crankcase and that why is was low when I checked it and then added too much oil.

In addition to properly checking he oil when bringing a bike out of storage, I highly suggest that both tires be checked for proper inflation before attempting to ride the bike even for a short distance, even though they may look fully inflated.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:48 PM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,448 Likes on 1,405 Posts
Arrow

All good tips here.

You can skip the jack if you let the summer air out of your tires and replace it with winter air. That's what I do.

rome517 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 05:29 AM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Originally Posted by 2whlr4life
All good tips here.

You can skip the jack if you let the summer air out of your tires and replace it with winter air. That's what I do.
Is that the reason for the green caps on the valve stems? Is green for summer or winter?

Old 10-11-2018, 06:02 AM
assiniboine
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4,508 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
Drain the oil? No, don’t do that, just change it so it’s fresh. Run the bike after mixing in the fuel stabilizer so that it gets into the lines and carb. Battery can be taken out or plugged into a tender/maintainer. I wouldn’t let it sit on concrete all winter so jack it up or even just put a piece of old carpet under it or something. Other than that, pray for Spring.
Good gen IMO.

My comments for storing in an unheated location would include ensuring your tank is completely filled to prevent rust from condensation. A tender has worked well for me. Leave the battery completely in situ and connect the tender over the battery terminals. Be mindful of squirrels, etc that might harvest your seat for nesting material (remove it and store?). Cover the bike but make sure air can circulate. Come spring it will be dusty, don't wipe it down immediately. Use a low pressure hose to wash it off - then clean as normal. Some take a few pounds of PSI out of the tires, I jack the bike to relieve the load on the suspension, tires, etc. Don't run the bike during the cold weather - condensation in the exhaust is a curse.

rome517 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 07:41 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,438 Likes on 2,235 Posts

1 last thing.. If you live in rodent country, field mice love nesting in mufflers.. A plastic bag over each tip held on by a rubber band works well

rome517 (10-11-2018)

Quick Reply: 1st time winterizing my Harley