motorcycle safety foundation ERC vs ARC course - Harley Davidson Forums

Go Back  Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Forums > General Harley Davidson Chat
Reload this Page >

motorcycle safety foundation ERC vs ARC course

General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motorcycle safety foundation ERC vs ARC course

Old 10-10-2018, 10:48 PM
Geoo
Default motorcycle safety foundation ERC vs ARC course

i have to take one of these classes as a military requirement to keep riding my Harley. Iím confused on which one to pick. Are they pretty much the same?

Old 10-11-2018, 02:56 AM
Dieselss

I know the ERC (experienced rider course) is taken on your own bike and has to do more with tighter and more advanced moves. I'm not familiar with that ARC, might be something MSF came up with since I've been out of the program.

how much riding experience do you have?

edit....just looked at there website. Looks like MSF just renamed the ERC to the ARC. Looks the same to me.

Last edited by Dieselss; 10-11-2018 at 03:02 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:16 AM
PureDeath
Road Warrior

( ARC ) about the same thing, but you ride what they offer.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:26 AM
Nomadmax
Ultimate HDF Member
Thanked 2,123 Times in 1,280 Posts

In the ARC classes around here you ride your own bike and they delve a little deeper than the basics. Not a bad course, but there are better one days courses out there but they cost a great deal more.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:59 AM
Geoo

Originally Posted by Dieselss View Post
I know the ERC (experienced rider course) is taken on your own bike and has to do more with tighter and more advanced moves. I'm not familiar with that ARC, might be something MSF came up with since I've been out of the program.

how much riding experience do you have?

edit....just looked at there website. Looks like MSF just renamed the ERC to the ARC. Looks the same to me.
8 months

Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
In the ARC classes around here you ride your own bike and they delve a little deeper than the basics. Not a bad course, but there are better one days courses out there but they cost a great deal more.
The MSF courses are all free for me. Im only taking it because the Navy is making me. Its either take the 2 day BRC course once a year or take the ERC or ARC every 3 years.

The Following User Says Thank You to Geoo For This Useful Post:
Nomadmax (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 07:30 AM
crusader1xxx
Road Captain

If you have only been riding 8 months I would take as many courses as you can...if they are free I would do both...it can only help you...

Old 10-11-2018, 07:48 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior

I took the Advanced Rider Course (ARC) and found it very disappointing, as It was just about the basics. I know you have to take one of the MSF courses because its a military requirement, but if you want to learn advanced riding techniques, I'd suggest looking for a police dept that offers training to the public.
SMART (Safe Motorcycle And Rider Techniques) which around here is put on by the Osceola Sheriff's Dept & another one by the Gainesville Police Dept, offers a lot more advanced training. The instructors are policemen, not some trained MSF instructor.
Maybe they have a course in Hawaii that are put on by a police dept. Imo, that would be the way to go. If you want to learn advanced techniques, get trained by the motorcycle cops.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daytona Fat Boy For This Useful Post:
Nomadmax (10-11-2018), tpitman (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 09:37 AM
kwkride
One Of The Regulars

The BRC2 (used to be called the ERC) is similar to the BRC but it is on your own bike and discusses more street strategies. It is a one day course with no classroom portion. There are just discussions of specific subjects out on the range.
The ARC (Advanced Rider Course) is also on your own bike and it is based off of the Military SportBike RiderCourse (MSRC) it does go in to more advanced riding techniques such as trail braking. It requires a full size range and there are exercises that are performed at 30-35 mph instead of 15-18 mph of the basic courses. It is really a lot of fun.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:46 PM
cacomly
Senior Rider

Originally Posted by kwkride View Post
The ARC (Advanced Rider Course) is also on your own bike and it is based off of the Military SportBike RiderCourse (MSRC) it does go in to more advanced riding techniques such as trail braking. It requires a full size range and there are exercises that are performed at 30-35 mph instead of 15-18 mph of the basic courses. It is really a lot of fun.
This was my experience here in PA as well. I took the ARC a few years ago and I thought it was good, much better than the ERC or BRC2, whatever it was last called

Old 10-11-2018, 02:19 PM
MiniWolf
Outstanding HDF Member

ERC is basically the riding portion of the basic courses without all of the Intro stuff and classwork. And it moves faster. But all of the riding tasks were the same and it really just is a refresher of basic riding skills. At least it was when I took it years ago it. The Advanced course is more about skill advancement and a larger lot is required because higher speeds are used. You get introduced to drills and practices that you probably never have experienced. And it has real-world components rather than just basic skills. IMO if you have frequently been practicing the skills you learned in BRC and have at least a year or two of experience on the road, I would just jump right to the Advanced as the ERC probably isn't going to offer anything substantial that you dont get through normal skill practice.

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: