General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laid my Street Bob Down...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 10:32 AM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Originally Posted by soldierbot
You are going to be just fine as you really seem to have a firm grasp on what caused the accident and how to avoid something like this in the future. Once you get the bike fixed up and are feeling ready to ride....ask some friends that ride to come along with you on your first time back in the saddle. Talk about the accident and if you can, go back to the same spot you crashed and you and your riding buddies all **** on, or as close to. the accident site as possible....without getting arrested. You have to reclaim that spot and the road as your own.

I 'laid it down'...using the term because it seems to tweak some folks...back in Feb. Fixed the bike, fixed me and then rode to the accident spot with some friends. We all pissed all over that corner up in the canyon. You gotta reclaim the site you went down and in essence, reclaiming the road....letting it know who is in charge.

If you don't feel like relieving yourself.at the site...flipping the bird with both hands might have the same effect.
If you do this ^^^^^^please post the video.

The following users liked this post:
soldierbot (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 11:05 AM
MMH
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by soldierbot
...go back to the same spot you crashed and you and your riding buddies all **** on, or as close to. the accident site as possible....without getting arrested.
Will definately be back at this spot as it is right in front of my buddies shop. Pissing on the spot will absolutely be therapeutic - it will be done!

soldierbot (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 11:06 AM
MMH
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark out West
Glad I have an "assist and slip" clutch on my V-Rod. You can aggressively drop a gear and not worry about skidding the back tire.
I did not realize that they made a slipper clutch for Harleys. I have one on my SuperMoto.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:56 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Had a similar situation many years ago, but kept it up right, back wheel broke loose, on a off ramp, in some sand left on the road after snow was gone, going sideways into the grassy median and stopped facing traffic on the "on" ramp. Went around the block and tempted fate by taking the exit again. while at the stop sign I felt my guardian angel get back on. Glad you walked away from that and put it down in lessons learned in street smart book.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:33 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH
Semantics - 'layed it down', 'crashed', 'dumped the bike', etc. Regardless of what I call it, it was clearly riding error. Proper riding gear in no way makes up for riding error. The best riders in the world (not saying that I am) can go down too. Proper riding gear indiscriminately protects you when you go down - good rider, bad rider, stupid rider, etc. Every ride that I go out on I try to learn, including this past ride.
No, it;s not semantics. "Laying it down" is a deliberate act or controlled crash. Your crash was accidental.
What I was trying to say about the gear is that you can sometimes redeem yourself from a stupid act (crashing) by doing something intelligent like wearing good gear. I've been saved from injury and death by my gear.

Last edited by RK4ME; 10-13-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:45 PM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 90,486 Likes on 23,314 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
NI've been saved from injury and death by my gear.
Then you have "laid it down" too.

RK4ME (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 12:55 PM
TimmyPage
Road Captain
Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts

It sucks when you have to learn it the hard way but it looks like you gained a lot here: pavement markings are slippery, work on your rev matching, focus on what you're doing all the time. You'll be a much better rider for it and don't get discouraged from getting back on the bike. We all go down at some point.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:27 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Painted Lines

I try to always stay off the painted lines dry or wet. Too many times I've had them upset the bike and I had to go easy on the controls to get the front and rear wheels back in line. It is just easier to stay off them to begin with.
Glad you're OK and bikes can be fixed.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:41 PM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 541 Likes on 383 Posts

Glad it wasn't worst. Thanks for posting. Lot of folks can learn from posting's like that.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:42 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH
I did not realize that they made a slipper clutch for Harleys. I have one on my SuperMoto.
my 2013 has one.

Quick Reply: Laid my Street Bob Down...