General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laid my Street Bob Down...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 07:56 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

Glad to hear you are ok. Kudos to you for wearing all that gear.

Not sure around by you, but around my area here they are building all those round-abouts everywhere now a days. They are filled with painted markings and even when the pavement is dry those big
painted marks are slick. I always try to be sure I ride in-between all the marking. You can never be too careful on a bike, that's for sure.

Ride Safe

Old 10-15-2018, 06:27 PM
SmokeyHill
Tourer

Received 282 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by MMH
I am fearful that when I get back on the bike that I will be afraid to ride. Mentally I am really shook up. I remember as I was going down that my first thought was 'WTF, I can't believe that I am going down'. I was not hot-rodding, already down to 15 mph or so, and just slowing down as I was entering a lot.
I know what you're saying. I felt the same way. I'm still waiting for my FXDB to come back from the shop after wrecking it so I know exactly what you're feeling. Trust me, it goes away. I was starting a sharp left hand turn and dumped way too much clutch, stood the bike up, shot across the road and hit a gas meter. Happened really fast! Bike ended up on it's right side and I somehow missed the bushes and gas meter, figuring I high sided over it all. Walked away bruised up and mentally shaken, but time heals all.
When I get mine back I'm taking it to the HS parking lot for some slow speed stuff to build confidence again, but I'm ready to go. You will be too.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:49 PM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Rev match. Always. Use your brakes to slow down. That's what brakes do. You have way more control with the brakes than the clutch.

When I come into to a situation that requires dropping a gear or two, I rev match and use the rear brake for split second to continue braking while I blip the throttle and then get back on the front brakes.

It's automatic at this point.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:23 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,118 Likes on 2,674 Posts

Those painted lines are slippery. I've heard they're supposed to use texture in the paint, but I don't think they do, at least not around here anyway. I've hit a couple wet ones in right/left corner turns going slow and had the tire slip around almost like ice.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:26 PM
Bearpaw Mearle
Road Captain
Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
Glad to hear you are ok. Kudos to you for wearing all that gear.

Not sure around by you, but around my area here they are building all those round-abouts everywhere now a days. They are filled with painted markings and even when the pavement is dry those big
painted marks are slick. I always try to be sure I ride in-between all the marking. You can never be too careful on a bike, that's for sure.

Ride Safe
I noticed this when we were there for the 115th.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:30 PM
Bearpaw Mearle
Road Captain
Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Glad that you're okay, OP!

Old 10-18-2018, 02:15 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

I dropped my '07 SB after a car in front of me did a panic stop. It went down on the right side. After me skidding along the asphalt, I watched the bike slide toward the car in front, hoping that it would stop before hitting the rear of that car. Fortunately it did finally stop sliding before contact. By that time I was on my feet, trying to get to the machine to remove it from the road. That's when some really nice folks stopped to help me. Someone offered some paper towels to stop the flow of blood from the severe road rash on both forearms and hands. Another helper called for the police and ambulance. 2 lane road with high traffic flow and no shoulder. Police arrived. Ambulance arrives. Medics evaluated my injuries. One scratch on my half helmet, so my head didn't hit the pavement hard. Knee, shoulder forearms and hands took the brunt of the impact and slide. Medics checked for concussion and wrapped up my arms. One officer was a motorcycle rider, so he checked over the machine and deemed it rideable. After answering a few questions, got back on the bike and rode back home. Bent Handle bars, dent in the tank and brake handle needed replacement.