Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Going the Distance: Golden Years Riding (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1258392-going-the-distance-golden-years-riding.html)

martin10 10-23-2018 05:25 AM

Age is less of a factor than health. I am in remarkably good overall health except for arthritis. But arthritis is a biggie. I am limited to a 150 miles per day before the pain gets too distracting to be safe. I still ride often. Just not for very far.

twoglides13 10-23-2018 09:39 AM

I'll be 71 next month, and plan on riding until I can't do it any more. As was said already, you must be in the proper frame of mind to ride safely, and there are lots of things that can distract you.

firehawk6 10-23-2018 09:49 AM

I'll be 62 in December, I have no plans on stopping. The good Lord has blessed me with pretty good health so far.

Uncle G. 10-23-2018 10:40 AM

66 and no intention of quitting. I can still get on my road bicycle and knock out 20 miles in 1 hour and 20 minutes, so riding the motorcycle is still pretty easy. As Hank says, “if the good Lord’s willing and the creeks don’t rise,” I’ll keep on riding.

Mastiff107 10-23-2018 11:56 AM

Turning 69. Good health but have minor arthritis in hands which make riding very painful after a short distance. If It was just me on the road riding I'd ride 'til 80 but the other crazies on the road are becoming too great of an annoyance/threat. Instead of enjoying the scenery I'm having to pay too much attention to who is going to try to drive over me next. 30 years ago got into a bike wreck and have pins in my ankle. Drove home with a fractured ankle and never missed a day after that, just toughed through the pain (with the help of large quantities of beer). I was a manly man!! A couple of months ago I fractured the opposite ankle. Even my old friend beer didn't help! Toughing turned to whining! For all practical purposes I had turned into Bruce Jenner! I do not want to spend any more time, in my old age, in any pain which I can avoid. I am seriously considering giving up biking and sex (to include self abuse/masturbation) in order to forestall any chance of future injury. I also drink beer now only from my recliner to avoid falling off/down.

Imold 10-23-2018 12:29 PM

At 71 the only difference I feel is I get scared quicker when the back end breaks loose on a curve. Riding my 1200 on the Needles Highway in the Black Hills this summer was the most fun I've had in years, but had to take it a bit easy, daughter went with me, two up. Have a two year old granddaughter, hope she gives me a ride in my Harley sidecar rig in about 10 years. Her 9 year old brother drove a sidecar rig when he was 7 (not on pavement!), so it could happen. Be great to give my great grandkids rides, but I'd probably be breaking records to do that, highly unlikely.

TejasJeff 10-23-2018 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by shorelasHD (Post 17774143)
No. 15, approaching the apex Turn 1, NJMP Thunderbolt, age 70 !/2...:icon_nic:

HELL YES!!! I bet he's a far better rider than many on 2 wheels. Thanks for sharing that.

Oakers3 10-23-2018 05:56 PM

Saw a picture of a WWll vet who was mid 90's and rode halfway across the USA. My goal is to beat if I get there.
And it was on a Harley!

shorelasHD 10-23-2018 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by TejasJeff (Post 17776071)
HELL YES!!! I bet he's a far better rider than many on 2 wheels. Thanks for sharing that.

Thanks, but the 70 1/2 age I think came from a commercial I was watching on FBN, I'm actually 69 1/2. Still, between the Stairmaster/running/and weight training, I'm doing my best to keep my muscles built up, and ready for anything. A close friend of mine died on his exercise machine at 60, what a way to go, compared to others dying in bed in a hospice with an IV. I'd like to think I'm looking at another 2 or even 3 decades before I have to give it up...

I'm not ready to give up so easily.:icon_nic:

Curated Content Editor 11-06-2018 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by shorelasHD (Post 17774143)
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...a246ca1f26.jpg
No. 15, approaching the apex Turn 1, NJMP Thunderbolt, age 70 !/2...:icon_nic:

:icon_headbang:

I would have guessed you were in your twenties!