General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson recalling 238,380 bikes for clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 02:23 PM
MRPHS
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

I got a reply back from the manufacturer. Supposedly it will work with my Softail Slim S. I'll plan this during my winter mods. Now I don't have to bother with the recall!

The following users liked this post:
sportglide (11-28-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 02:24 PM
Flynblind
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
I got my letter for my Road King. The dealer here is pretty nonchalant about it. I called about getting an apt. and they had the opinion I should just deal with it when I get my next service appointment, like it isn't that big of a deal. They didn't really want to schedule an apt just for this but they grudgingly scheduled it two weeks out. Attitude seemed to be annoyance towards the recall rather than taking it as anything serious. Surprising as this time of year I would think they would want business with everyone hanging it up.
I went in to my dealer last week to schedule mine. They put me on a "waiting list" that was 12 bikes long. This dealership is tiny and there are 2 other large dealerships in our metro area.

The dealership told me they were shipped 4 kits and there was 12 bikes that had checked in. They wouldn't give me a date, only took my number and said "We will call you".

WarKat (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 04:57 PM
WarKat
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I'm wondering how long it will be before they can fix my bike? We called the dealership before we even received the recall letter and we're still waiting. 2018 Road King

Old 11-19-2018, 06:12 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

My recall service was done quickly but the bike is still at the dealer waiting on the new ignition key switch and also they found a cracked gasket somewhere on the transmission that they also had to order. I was busy when they called so I don't know what gasket it was. Been there about a week and a half now.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:19 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by WarKat
Thanks! I'm wondering how long it will be before they can fix my bike? We called the dealership before we even received the recall letter and we're still waiting. 2018 Road King
Me too. Last Friday they told me I was 3rd in the list. Gonna call tomorrow and see what the holdup is. Mines not leaking and have notice no issues whatsoever. But, I'll do the dance.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:24 AM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeC7R
This new aftermarket slave cylinder, everyone reports it is the bomb-diggity:

https://aim-tamachi.com/collections/...slave-cylinder
Here we go again. So why is it Harley doesn't do much of, or any R&D. Seems like every aftermarket company, and the purchaser has to come up with the correct solution for all the poor HD engineering ? Cam chain tensioners, water pumps, rocker lockers, lifters, and if I kept typing I'd be done around Christmas.
Jonnierock

sportglide (11-28-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 11:10 AM
WarKat
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeC7R
I agree, I put on the Oberon lever which is better but not perfect. I am seriously considering doing the friction zone fix using the new damper seat HD Part #37000295 to move the friction zone.
I put the Oberon lever on my bike too. I set it at #3. I found it helped but, I still prefer a cable for the friction zone.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:25 PM
JakeC7R
Road Master
Received 323 Likes on 188 Posts

Well I bit the bullet and jumped on the AIM train....just ordered on eBay with the 15% discount deal on the eBay mobile app.

sportglide (11-22-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 08:03 AM
sportglide
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

I installed mine weekend past 11/22/18 - best money I ever spent on a motorcycle.... clutch pulls in with two fingers and the friction zone is much closer to the grip giving me much better slow speed control.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:45 PM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

I finally got the call for the recall after putting my name on THE LIST at my dealer back in early November. I will say this, the clutch just seems a lot more compliant and smoother to operate. Maybe it's just in my head but my clutch just feels better. Anyway, glad I got it out of the way. When the recall was first announced my dealer said they were only getting 3-5 kits/week. I actually forgot all about it.

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson recalling 238,380 bikes for clutch problem