General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley experience at BMW during Biketoberfest.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:47 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts
Default Harley experience at BMW during Biketoberfest.

My buddy rode his new EG up from Stuart to meet me in Daytona the Friday of Biketoberfest.
We met at the hotel where I was staying on A1A north of Main Street. Weather was threatening rain for the morning; it was overcast. In order to show him around, I figured we would walk Main Street, get that out of the way, run down Beach Street to International Speedway, go to the track and then the Cabbage Patch, Foxhead, etc. [Insert music] looking for adventure ... and whatever comes our way. LOL

After a stroll up/down Main Street where the early hour and the weather kept the crowds away and parking spots plentiful, then we saddle up to a light but steady drizzle which started just about as we got seated. We debate rain gear and decide to make that decision after checking out Beach Street. For those who do not know the geography, that's only about a mile or so away on the other side of the Halifax River. We don't even get to the Main Street Bridge and the skies opened up - it poured!

We cross the bridge in a heavy downpour and pull into the parking lot in front of the tent set up in front of the BMW dealership, dismount and duck under the edge of the tent to wait out the downpour. There were a few others there in corporate attire and/or BMW riding regalia. The tent was probably at least 20 X 50' if not bigger and we were at the very first three feet of it. I was looking at Foreflight RADAR on my phone and was just about to comment to my buddy that we should be good to go in about 5 to 10 minutes when BMW Lady in her BMW shirt says to us, "You have to move your bikes."

They had BMW motorcycles lined up for test rides in the tent and also had additional BMWs on display under the tent. Our bikes were blocking nothing and certainly not in the way. Given the early hour and the weather that day, there were very few there and our parking spots close to the tent were such that if entering the tent you would walk past them and see that they were Harleys. If I were a BMW staff member - I would see that as a good optic ... Harley guys there to check out BMWs, but that was apparently lost upon BMW lady who looked at us two, the only two without BMW riding regalia on as, eyed down the ridge her nose, we were viewed unapprovingly.

I asked her if we could leave in five minutes and she said "fine" and walked away. None of the other staff folk or motorcyclists approached us, said a word to us, or seemed the least bit bothered (or enamored) by our presence. My buddy and I each could have purchased any new model they had on display that morning for cash - we were on Harleys, me on a lowly Sportster, and were wearing garb clearly beneath suitability for such sophisticated machines as BMWs - especially given the weather (alright, so maybe I'll give her that one) but we did't touch or go near any of the bikes, didn't seek any of their coffee or anything else, but for perhaps nine square feet of cover for five minutes.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda; if only their tent were there at the time!

The following 4 users liked this post by Jehu:
04ctd (10-29-2018), Fat_Boy (11-08-2018), sailmotion (10-29-2018), tar_snake (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 06:56 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,126 Likes on 5,582 Posts

Their tent their rules. They should have been more understanding because of the rain and all but they are paying money to set up a tent there. If they say move the bikes, you go move the bikes.

The following 6 users liked this post by Bubba Zanetti:
0maha (10-29-2018), DuciDay (12-21-2019), Geoff (10-31-2018), kokemill (10-30-2018), Tony P (10-31-2018), Walter White (10-31-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-29-2018, 07:05 AM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts

Wow! Snob much?! Reason #162 why I probably won't ever ride (or drive) another BMW.

Bad enough we drive Mini Coopers as our DD's....when we go to the BMW dealer to get them serviced (rarely now, as they are both out of warranty) they shove us off to the corner and essentially say "oh, you're those people with the Minis....get over there" We've always been treated like 2nd class citizens at the BMW dealer...and our MINI's are made by BMW for frikks sake ! I am in the market for 2 new DD cars but wife categorically will not let me buy any more MINI's just because of the way we're treated (even though they've been reliable machines)...I was looking at upgrading to an AWD Mini as we live in the snowbelt. NOPE! They've lost our business for LIFE and every chance I get, I'll be telling stories like mine.....and you'll be telling stories like yours.

I was hoping your (great) story was going to turn out differently, but honestly I could've written half of it.

Shame...they seem to make nice bikes. (and cars) I just wouldn't ever want to deal with those people (who think their **** doesn't stink), ever again.

Last edited by ve9aa; 10-29-2018 at 07:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ve9aa:
bigal51 (10-29-2018), tar_snake (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 07:20 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,652 Likes on 6,424 Posts

I opened the thread thinking this would have turned out just the opposite. Should have known better.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:24 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 193 Likes on 116 Posts

wow all these things happened to you from BMW people
you really must be tough guys to worry about the thoughts in those tiny heads
do you really think anybody gives a sh%^T ABOUT YOU ?

The following users liked this post:
Halojumper (11-07-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:01 AM
shodown220
Road Warrior
Received 757 Likes on 404 Posts

to be fair, the Harley demo rides block off the entire main parking lot at my local dealer and have everyone park in the side lot. So even though there is plenty of parking open in the main lot they don't want your bike there, probably for good reason. So I doubt its a BMW thing, most likely its a "hey the rules are everyone parks other there" thing. But to each their own.

The following users liked this post:
Tony P (10-31-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:07 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
Their tent their rules. They should have been more understanding because of the rain and all but they are paying money to set up a tent there. If they say move the bikes, you go move the bikes.
Gotta agree with this guy. Their tent, their money, their rules. I would think that no matter what brand you pulled up on they would ask you to move, they're there to sell bikes.

The following 3 users liked this post by ThePaintPirate:
DuciDay (12-21-2019), kokemill (10-30-2018), nevada72 (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:16 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,652 Likes on 6,424 Posts

It was raining. A bit of compassion would have been expected regardless of what brand bike. Maybe the biotch was in need of some hot sausage.

The following 6 users liked this post by nobodyknowsme:
bigal51 (10-29-2018), Fat_Boy (11-08-2018), NCBANDIT (10-30-2018), sunderhill (11-10-2018), UUNetBill (10-29-2018), vaham (11-06-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:38 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,029 Likes on 11,054 Posts

What you experienced was legal discrimination. Imagine if you sought shelter in a BMW tent wearing beards, ink and a vest sporting colors. Only riders wearing a full face and Roadcrafter Aerostich are allowed inside.

Last edited by upflying; 10-29-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:06 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
Gotta agree with this guy. Their tent, their money, their rules. I would think that no matter what brand you pulled up on they would ask you to move, they're there to sell bikes.
This.

Having recently done the Harley 115 and visiting the demo tent, I'm 100% positive they would have said the same thing to me had I parked my SGS under their tent rain or shine. It's not there to give you shelter or protect you from your own poor planning (should have put on the rain gear). It's to showcase shiny new BMWs.

And the BMW snobbery thing is pretty cliche. They would have done the same thing had you pulled up on BMWs. Seriously - who parks under a demo tent? The right thing would be park the bikes with everyone else out in the rain and haul *** under the tent to look at BMWs and drink their coffee. Your reception would have been entirely different regardless of your attire.

The following 3 users liked this post by nevada72:
DuciDay (12-21-2019), Firenailer (10-31-2018), Tony P (10-31-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harley experience at BMW during Biketoberfest.