General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Glide or Low Rider?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 07:47 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts
Default Sport Glide or Low Rider?

MODS: I really did not know which section to start this thread so please accept my apologies if your have to move it as you see fit.

Title says it all. I am half thinking of changing up the fleet a bit and the Sport Glide has more than merely caught my eye. I know it comes with detachable bags, a fairing (of sorts) forwards controls instead of mids, cruise, ABS and more black than the Low Rider - but they are otherwise basically (other than front wheel size) the same bike. What are the thoughts of the collective brain trust here as to whether or not the Sport Glide is worth the $3,600 MSRP ($2,800 real world) delta.

I am trying to put aside that, to me, the Vivid Black Sport Glide is nothing short of steel **** and I am smitten by it; trying to keep that out of the equation knowing full well that if I get the Low Rider I will no doubt be satisfied but will always have the itch ... especially if/when I see a Sport Glide in the wild. I know that I am kind of answering my own question but need the third party independent advice of others to give me a clinical view.

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by Jehu; 10-31-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:57 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts

The Sport Glide is the better looking bike IMHO but the price is over inflated considering how much cheaper the Low Rider is. You can buy a Low Rider and spend the difference in price between the two bikes modifying it and end up with something better that is more of exactly what you want.

I don't like the gauge / dash on the low Rider.

The Sport Glide also has a bigger headlight, nicer wheels, in addition to the bags and fairing. The bags strike me is flimsy / cheap.

A scorched orange Sport Glide looks pretty sharp imho.

I thought the difference in price was five thousand for some reason.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:15 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

The inverted front forks , small fairing, detachable hardbags, cruise control, mag wheels(tubeless), exterior adjustable rear shock control makes the SportGlide`s extra cost worth it IMO.

The following 2 users liked this post by Qdog002:
GPHDXLC (10-31-2018), Mark Faulkner (11-01-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 09:46 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,670 Likes on 6,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Qdog002
The inverted front forks , small fairing, detachable hardbags, cruise control, mag wheels(tubeless), exterior adjustable rear shock control makes the SportGlide`s extra cost worth it IMO.
Forward controls are a deal-breaker for me.

The following users liked this post:
waterfordhunter (11-01-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 10:27 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

The Sport Glide was one of my favorite bikes I demo’d last month. If I was in the market for a new bike right now it would be high on my list.

Of course it also depends on what type of riding you’re doing, too.

But...always a good idea to buy the one that sings to you the most.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:53 PM
Brsblls
Road Captain

Received 441 Likes on 218 Posts

Sport Glide has my attention as well. I love the looks and the additional functionality compared with a stock Low Rider.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (10-31-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 05:14 AM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 402 Likes on 286 Posts

The Sport Glide with the available trunk and taller windscreen would make a great weekender bike that can still carve the twisties with ease.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:29 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

Thank you for comments thus far - you darned enablers you!

My type type of riding, for this bike, would be the lesser trips and runs than what I would take the Road Glide on. If I didn't have the RG, this would not be so prevalent on the RADAR. In fact, a Road King or Heritage ST could split the different quite nicely and could be that one bike.

But I do have the Road Glide and it's a mileage eater when there's miles to be eaten - and it's a load hauler when there's loads to be hauled as it has the four point detachable docking gear so a luggage rack or the cavernous King Tour Pack get mounted when the mission profile calls for it.

The Sport Glide would be replacing my beloved little 883 Iron. The mid-controls (on that bike) bother my knees and I find myself reaching for the highway pegs (thank God for them) more and more. I ride solo so the smaller pillion section of the seat on the Sport Glide (or Low Rider) is a non-issue. Of all the Harleys I have owned over all of the years, the Touring models have (obviously) been the most comfortable and practical but the Dynas have always rated the highest smiles per miles.

Now that I have a couple thousand miles on the M8 107 RG I have come to the opinion that I am satisfied with its power and will certainly be no less satisfied with the same mill in a lighter mount. I just look to disinterested third parties - you all, to advise on whether it's worth $2,800 extra for detachable bags, a fairing (of sorts) forwards controls instead of mids, cruise, ABS, seriously good looking wheels, more black and, IMO, striking good looks. I did not accidentally omit inverted forks as from what I can tell, they are the same forks as on a LR save for being inverted - a styling exercise.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:28 AM
dyna2008
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds to me like you have already answered your own question. If your smitten with the Sportglide and you can afford the inflated price of that over the Lowrider then the Sportglide is the one you should have.
Even though the Dyna line is gone both of those models have that look.
Either way you go you can't go wrong with either but I believe I would dole out the extra cash and go with the Sportglide. You don't want buyers remorse and be in the "what if" or the "wish I had" situation.
Think it over real good and do what you feel is best for you.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:50 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,173 Likes on 6,217 Posts

Spend some time feeling and loading and unloading those bags on the Sport Glide. Their unconventional opening makes loading and unloading different, Think about what five grand in mods would do to a low rider and would it yield something you are happier with.

Look at other HD’s at the same price point as the sport Glide and it kind of makes you see that you can get more bike for the same money or in the case of the low rider, almost as much bike for substantially less money, not just a little less money.

I think that’s the problem with many of the bikes in the lineup these days. Basic bikes are at $20K which is in the neighborhood of more fully loaded bikes. Heritage is the best value as you get a lot for the money. Low rider and street bob have attractive pricing but the sport Bob small tank is too small hence the low rider is the better of those two.

Fxdr and fat bob have unconventional styling which is a turnoff for a lot of people.

to be honest it sounds like you would be well served with a Dyna Low Rider S if you can find one

Quick Reply: Sport Glide or Low Rider?