Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Nail in Tire ? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1260158-nail-in-tire.html)

Gas Smasher 11-07-2018 04:50 AM

There isn't really a right or wrong answer. Lots of people have plugged and patched tires without any issue, myself included in my younger days. Now that I am older I just replace tires that have any issue. Maybe it is being more seasoned, or maybe it is because I have more ability to buy the new tire without feeling a lot of pain from the cost, but I just replace them.

I always try to keep things like this in perspective. A couple hundred bucks for a tire isn't really that much money when you think about what is at stake. You can drop more than that taking your wife to dinner, or going to a bar with a couple of friends. People spend twice that to buy tickets to a ball game or watch a big fight on TV. Sure it sucks to replace a pretty new tire, but I see it as just part of the cost of enjoying a hobby.

Roadrage1996 11-07-2018 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Gas Smasher (Post 17809689)
There isn't really a right or wrong answer. Lots of people have plugged and patched tires without any issue, myself included in my younger days. Now that I am older I just replace tires that have any issue. Maybe it is being more seasoned, or maybe it is because I have more ability to buy the new tire without feeling a lot of pain from the cost, but I just replace them.

I always try to keep things like this in perspective. A couple hundred bucks for a tire isn't really that much money when you think about what is at stake. You can drop more than that taking your wife to dinner, or going to a bar with a couple of friends. People spend twice that to buy tickets to a ball game or watch a big fight on TV. Sure it sucks to replace a pretty new tire, but I see it as just part of the cost of enjoying a hobby.

Summed up nicely...

Bubba Zanetti 11-07-2018 05:54 AM

Patch it from the inside and put a tube in it too.

fegod 11-07-2018 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by CrBear (Post 17809204)
So he said to just put a tube in it ? Any experience with this ?

Had the same thing happen to me on my Sporty. Put a tube in for very low cost instead of replacing a tire with only a few miles on it. Works great.

Notgrownup 11-07-2018 06:10 AM

Tube and ride on tire sealer/balancing gel...

Bonnie Storm 11-07-2018 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Notgrownup (Post 17809801)
Tube and ride on tire sealer/balancing gel...

It's probably not even necessary to put in a tube, just use the Ride-On sealer/balancer for motorcycles.

galtjunk 11-07-2018 07:49 AM

Plug it.
I use the stop n go kit with the mushroom plugs and co2 cartridges.
I plugged an almost new tire and rode it until it was worn out.

I have had 3 rear and 2 front blowouts over the past 35 years and none of them were caused by patches or plugs.
I use ride-on now but I still carry the plug kit.

CrBear 11-07-2018 08:06 AM

GOOD thoughts by all. Thanks for helping me make a decision folks ! Going to call the dealer and Indy this morning and go from there.

BuckKnuckle 11-07-2018 12:26 PM

Worth mentioning -- if the leak is in the sidewall **NEVER** try to just repair it. the side wall is thinner and flexes a lot
more than the tread area. Fixing a sidewall leak is just asking for trouble.

Nokkon Wud 11-07-2018 12:45 PM

Plug and ride-on sealer.