General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Harley can make more money and stay alive!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 11:50 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,726 Likes on 2,469 Posts
Default How Harley can make more money and stay alive!

Harley should start reproducing vintage parts, NLA stuff that the restoration sector needs and Harley can get into restorations themselves and raise the bar.

A perfect example is Ferrari in the not-too-distant-past decided to cash in on the restoration market and broke out some of the old tools and made new ones to not only sell parts to the vintage crowd but to start a restoration division all their own. To capitalize on this even further they offer a certification program where any restored car can be inspected by them and certified (provided its done correctly) as being numbers matching, correctly restored and proper colours etc etc. So now when people sell a restored car one of the things thats asked for is the certification documents backing up the cars pedigree from the factory itself. That or judged event scores for those who dont go through that process. By them offering parts it removes the excuse of "I can't find the right part", it just comes down to money.

I think Harley could benefit from reproducing vintage parts instead of abandoning a big market of vintage motorcycles where they have the most clout. Fenders, tanks, rims, castings and labeled as Genuine HD parts. I know there's a bunch of aftermarket suppliers but a lot of the stuff is junk and wrong. This move might also earn the respect of those that feel the Moco has left them behind to focus on making bikes that dont appeal to them. "yes me make electric motorcycles but here's a new fender for your UL that's indistinguishable from an original and bears an HD part number."

Sign me up!

The following 2 users liked this post by hellonewman:
6 gun (11-14-2018), Iron lHorse (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 01:10 PM
mitchxout
Cruiser
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

The Mother Ship could give a **** less about vintage motorcycles.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:11 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,730 Likes on 6,188 Posts

Why? The aftermarket stuff is better.
It's not like the bike would be original anyway. I'm not concerned with 100 point originality...I want a rider.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:48 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by mitchxout
The Mother Ship could give a **** less about vintage motorcycles.
Thats an assumption I think and they could be very proud of their heritage. Im not privy to the inner workings of HD or the minutes of the meetings but if they did it, it could be just as much about winning back clients as it is about making money.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:50 PM
hellonewman
Club Member

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Why? The aftermarket stuff is better.
I disagree when it comes to sheet metal, rims and other things nobody even makes. Maybe you don't own a 50+ year old bike so it wont apply to you anyway.

Old 11-08-2018, 02:59 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

You can still get a twinkie re-built through the Long Block program, but that's as far back as it goes now.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:03 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellonewman
I disagree when it comes to sheet metal, rims and other things nobody even makes. Maybe you don't own a 50+ year old bike so it wont apply to you anyway.
Actually I do. It's got Panhead tanks now, because the original Shovel tanks were leaking at the tabs. Virtually the same anyway. I don't recall having to do anything special to bolt them on. Not that hard to find parts, you just have to know where to look.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:49 PM
DanDeleted
Road Captain
Received 365 Likes on 149 Posts

Zero percent financing thru Harley Davidson on brand new bikes. Do they have that? Toyota did that back in the 80's to sell cars and it worked.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:59 PM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,817 Likes on 1,438 Posts

hellonewman- That sounds like a good idea. But my gut feeling is HD would have them made overseas. Which of course many or may not be beneficial to HD's North American workforce. Well, I guess keeping the company healthy is actually beneficial to US workers.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:34 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,352 Likes on 1,154 Posts

I think it’s great idea and would be money maker . Harley Davidson is a good example of a company that absolutely should do it . There’s thousands of guys out there that are always restoring their old bikes .

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 11-08-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Quick Reply: How Harley can make more money and stay alive!