Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have I lost my mind part II (original thread closed)

Old 11-10-2018, 05:12 AM
AliensilverFXDBI
One Of The Regulars
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Have I lost my mind part II (original thread closed)

In 2014 I was down and out. Lost a great job in mid 2013 which fueled my drug and alcohol addiction. Spring of 2014 got a DUI and was really sick of everything. Wanted to disappear into the sunset and never look back. Heard it from all sides what I should do. General consensus was to get clean and sober and get to work instead of running from my problems. I did not. Kept partying and raising hell every chance I got.
As luck would have it, got another DUI in March of '17. Ok, enough is enough. Went into inpatient treatment for almost a month and took a total of 6 weeks off work. Got myself completely together and for the first time as an adult I'm clean and sober. Started using at 17 and stopped at 35. I'll be 37 next week and just passed my 20 month sobriety birthday.
I just got my old job back which means I'm financially stable once again. For the first time as a sober adult the future looks very promising. I've got a reliable cage, 2 nice softails paid off and a touring bike that will be paid off in about 18 months. Things are looking great for the first time in a long time!!!

With that being said I still have a burning desire to disappear and roam around. I have nothing legal hanging over my head and the only thing I have keeping me here is a house I owe about 40% of the value on.
I've been watching the motorcycle vagabonds on YouTube and romanticizing the lifestyle. Part of me knows it can be a hard lifestyle but part of me relishes the simplicity of it.
Have I lost my mind?

Old 11-10-2018, 05:50 AM
Scout
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts

Congrats on the 20 months.

Lots of temptation on the road. Personally I'd wait till 5 years. It took me a long time to get clean and sober. A good job, limited debt and responsibility will keep you straight. Much safer life choice right now. Just my opinion based on 35 years high and drunk and 10 years clean.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:59 AM
assiniboine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 354 Likes on 279 Posts

Dude, you sound like a romantic! U suffer from a very idealized view of reality.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:10 AM
RK_Classic
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 233 Posts

Congrats on your new sober life!

I think you already know your answer to the question, your gonna get so many different answers here.

rk classic.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:54 AM
fxdup
Senior Rider
Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Do it... Sell the house... Hit the road!

But wait until you retire.
You'll eat better.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:05 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 3,321 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Congrats on getting clean and sober.
Wait a few more years before you decide to pack up and go. There is a lot of danger out on the road and none of it has anything to do with riding.
Where is your God in this?
Talk to your sponsor or another closed-mouthed friend about your ideas.
Sober over 11 years myself.
Good luck and God Bless.
ETA: As stated earlier, if you’re in here asking, you already know what the REAL answer is.

Last edited by QC; 11-10-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:13 AM
Hey Man
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,733 Likes on 978 Posts

Congratulation on getting squared away. I've seen people go through it and it's not always easy. I just have one question though.

If you accomplished all that financial recovery since March of 2017 what do you do for a living, where do you work and can you get me a job there????

The following users liked this post:
Crazy (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 07:43 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 754 Likes on 721 Posts

Congrats to you for all you have been threw in your recovery. Thing about all you have been threw slow down crawl, Walk and Run but in case take it slower breath a bit get it in your head the faster you move the harder you’ll fall. Hope you put it all together soon.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:49 AM
AliensilverFXDBI
One Of The Regulars
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I agree 20 months IS pretty early but I think it's for good. At the end I was totally depressed ALL the time. I had quit smoking a couple weeks before the dui because it was affecting my breathing and the coughing and wheezing just wasn't worth the high anymore. I was tired of the drinking at the end and the DUI sealed the deal.
I'm no longer depressed but I'm not exactly happy. I haven't gone the 12 steps route, don't have a sponsor or a higher power. I still hang out with my old friends I just don't drink or smoke. I have no desire to either. The fun was gone long before I quit.

I don't think I want to permanently live on the road but I do think it would be fun for a while. My new (old) job will provide me plenty of time off in the future I just don't know if a few weeks a year is enough to scratch the itch.
I DO know that I'm not gonna wait for retirement to hit the road. I don't exactly crave stability in my life. It's nice knowing I have some cash in the bank and all the bills are paid but having no debt and zero responsibility is quite appealing too.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:52 AM
Cogswell
Senior Rider
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

I would also recommend to err on the side of caution. Take some time to get better settled into the clean life. Plan your trips well in advance, research places to stay and roads you want to ride. Allow enough flexibility in your schedule to allow for weather conditions, or the unexpected.

Best of luck going forward !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: