General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stealership Guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 03:11 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

For some who have copious amounts of money, and don't want to dirty their fingernails, don't know a box wrench from a Phillips screwdriver, afraid to do anything to their bike for fear of voiding the warranty (that isn't worth the paper it's written on anyway. My opinion) a dealership is often the choice. No problem there. On the flip side, not everyone is rolling in it and they expect their money's worth.

However, paying for parts and services that weren't done, or were done poorly requiring yet another visit, then the dealership qualifies as a Stealership since they are in essence stealing from the customer. If they substitute something for something else, for instance the fluid changes, whose to know, right? Or you specifically ask for one type, and they use another whose to know? That still amounts to theft. And if they substitute for fluids, whose to say they're not substituting for other things which you paid for?

There are many threads dealing with these dealership's incompetence, one recently:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...d-o-rings.html

And how about the sticky at the top of the page for this section of the forum:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...periences.html

So whether or not you have disdain for the use of the word Stealership is irrelevant. The fact remains there are many out there that qualify as Stealerships. If your dealing with one that had done well for you, good for you. Just remember, they all are not the same!

The following 4 users liked this post by Bonnie Storm:
hd4evr2008 (11-10-2018), Hey Man (11-10-2018), SBRob (11-10-2018), TwiZted Biker (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 03:54 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm
Try being a woman doing the same thing. Being a blonde woman doesn't help either. I'll order online and wait the couple of days for the part(s) to get here and do my own work. No more dealerships for parts or service!
I can only imagine.

The following users liked this post:
Bonnie Storm (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 04:04 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Half a life time with the same dealership. Lot of miles on the road . I have never had a problem with a dealership. Some people create their own problems.

The following 2 users liked this post by smitty901:
on3wego (11-15-2018), pahogrider (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 04:17 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,482 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by NMfxdf
I could not agree more. The term has always bugged me.
Same with me and with the term "Cagers."

Old 11-10-2018, 04:18 PM
NMfxdf
Tourer
Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

This has to be a common thing in all industry. If you have ever worked in the sales or service field I guarantee someone has thought you were unreasonable or a thief. You may think oh, I don't charge to much, my work is perfect and so on, but someone, somewhere, thinks you are a cheat when all you were doing was trying to make a paycheck and keep the lights on.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:22 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer

i guess it depends upon the dealer. I’m pretty happy with the one I go to in San Marcos.
Yup, know the owner. Used to ride with him (back when he was married.)

Rode to Laughlin with he and his brother, back in '96. Fun times!

Old 11-10-2018, 04:27 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
You beat me to it ... I was ready to post ( almost exactly ) the same thing .. Everyone needs to own their own business at least once in n their life
Oh boy, there would be A LOT more republicans if this were the case. A lot more.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:30 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Depends on one's personal experience with a dealer what impression they come away with. Think how the individual dealers handle things comes into it also, what little interaction I've had with the local ones have not been overwhelmingly positive, price gouging by marking up 10-15% over list, the aloof attitude by some counter and sales people, being treated like you just walked into the big city from the turnip patch and sometimes the sketchy doublespeak you get at the service counter can leave a very bad taste trust me.
I get that, and generally agree. I'm not much of a customer for HD dealerships. I've probably not spent $250 total at them. But that doesn't mean I haven't figured out which parts guys know their chit and which ones don't.

My only objection to the term "stealership" is what you might call linguistic in nature. I don't think the problem, where it exists, has anything to do with stealing. Most of what I hear is more about incompetence, indifference, and maybe arrogance.

Last edited by 0maha; 11-10-2018 at 04:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 0maha:
TwiZted Biker (11-10-2018), Uncle Larry (11-12-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 04:31 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,661 Likes on 934 Posts

Dealership service is expensive, they are a business, not a charity. I can do routine maintenance myself for much less, even including tool purchases along the way, and still come out on top. The only thing I've paid dealership service depts. for is tire changes and inspections. So I was a little peeved one year when I got back home and found the front pinch bolt about to fall out because the nut was almost off.

There are serious costs to run a dealership. I haven't had a job come up yet that I couldn't do, but if one does, I know it's gonna cost me.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:44 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
I get that, and generally agree. I'm not much of a customer for HD dealerships. I've probably not spent $250 total at them. But that doesn't mean I haven't figured out which parts guys know their chit and which ones don't.

My only objection to the term "stealership" is what you might call linguistic in nature. I don't think the problem, where it exists, has anything to do with stealing. Most of what I hear is more about incompetence, indifference, and maybe arrogance.
Understandable, think my attitude firmed the day I took mine in for a couple simple warranty issues and the bastards with a straight face gouged me just shy of $500 for a rear tire as I had picked up something within a block of their driveway, head of the bolt wasn't scratched up yet.

Marking up parts 10-15% over factory list just because they have them in stock is stealing money from a customer, sorry that's my take on that bit of nonsense it's downright predatory.

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
Bonnie Storm (11-10-2018), Carl '69 (11-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Stealership Guys