General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stealership Guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 08:58 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,499 Likes on 786 Posts

From reading many threads about how someone whines about a dealership "screwing them over" or calling them crooks, is usually when the person has an idea in their head on how something is going to happen (purchasing a bike, getting work done, buying this or that), and it going completely different than what they had dreamed up. Joe Blow reads on here that Jim Swallow got a great deal on a new bike and was able to talk the dealer down $6k and got several goodies for free (assuming that actually happened), so Joe tries to negotiate for his new bike and doesn't get the awesome deal previously mentioned. Suddenly the accusations start flying and the place is labeled a "stealership" trying to wring you for all your hard earned money since they didn't drop trou, and didn't take it up the backside over the deal.

I don't own my own business but I do moonlight on the side. I dont have a building or people to employ or any overhead so I usually charge very little compared to actual businesses around the area. Those HD temples didn't build themselves and they've got people to pay, so I would venture that the guys that go in for free hot dogs and drink and don't at least buy a little something, are the ones that deserve the label of "stealer."

The following users liked this post:
geezer glide 56 (11-15-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 09:08 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,667 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
Yes, I am touchy - When you work 100 hours a week at least 1 week a month and average 70 a week and you try to do the right thing, yeah I get touchy. Please DO NOT put words in my mouth. I never said I don't have a problem with certain businesses (big or small) and NO ONE is talking about a place that rips you off BUT.... If you agree to an estimate, its on you. period! Plain and simple, no one is touching your stuff without your ok THEN you come here or any other forum and bitch about it - that my friend is pure BULL$HIT. Absolutely no one is going in blind to a service call. No on is buying parts without knowing the price. Is a 40.00 t-shirt hi, yes it is so put the shirt down and walk the F away.... SO please let me know when your name is on a door...
While my wife was in the hospital having my son, my AC failed... in July... in Georgia... with my in-laws in town. I called a local HVAC company to have them diagnose and fix it. I'm working off the phone, paying over the phone, because I haven't left the hospital. I agreed to pay the $800+ to have the fan motor fixed. They charged me $600 and change for the motor. Googling the part number when I got home, I found it for $120. I agreed to the price and paid it, so do I have a right to bitch and not suggest people go somewhere else?

Old 11-14-2018, 10:55 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
Yes, I am touchy - When you work 100 hours a week at least 1 week a month and average 70 a week and you try to do the right thing, yeah I get touchy. Please DO NOT put words in my mouth. I never said I don't have a problem with certain businesses (big or small) and NO ONE is talking about a place that rips you off BUT.... If you agree to an estimate, its on you. period! Plain and simple, no one is touching your stuff without your ok THEN you come here or any other forum and bitch about it - that my friend is pure BULL$HIT. Absolutely no one is going in blind to a service call. No on is buying parts without knowing the price. Is a 40.00 t-shirt hi, yes it is so put the shirt down and walk the F away.... SO please let me know when your name is on a door...
Me thinks thou dost protest to much!

You do realize that this thread is not about you, don't you? No one accused you of anything, but here you are jumping down one person's after another's throat to defend yourself. I am pretty sure that absolutely no one in this thread bitched about anything you did as it relates to your business. So why are you so incredibly touchy? I sounds to me like this entire thread (that was not aimed at you) is hitting way to close for your comfort. I wonder why that is? While I only faintly know that you seem to have some sort of music equipment business I can be pretty sure that I would never want to do any business with someone like you.

Just to let you know, I do own my own company (Tax ID number and all), so that is another thing you screwed up on. For some reason though, that fact does not make me want to rabidly defend myself against folks who are unhappy about a Harley dealer. I wonder why that is?

Last edited by PFWiz; 11-14-2018 at 02:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PFWiz:
pahogrider (11-15-2018), SBRob (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 09:26 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,925 Likes on 17,478 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm
That's all well and good, but when I went in to purchase my bike at a local dealership, I couldn't find anyone to actually sell me the bike. Finally I just said eff it, and rode 65/70 miles to the next closest dealership and purchased it from them.

When I returned to the original dealership, I told them how they had lost out on the sale, and their comment back was "We didn't think you were actually going to purchase one, especially that one (cuz your a girl)!" Well, my money is as green as the net persons and I paid in cash, no financing, no need for approvals and all the BS that comes with it. I knew what I wanted and I was going to get it one way or another. I told then "Next time, don't be so quick to judge!" That was for my Street Glide.

Smart money takes the risk, and seeks out a potential sale instead of sitting on their butts.
More or less had the same experience when I went shopping for my Road King, first new bike I've owned. Hit 4 local dealers, knew exactly what I wanted and had cash. One I actually had to corner the sales manager to talk to him and he acted like I was seriously imposing on him doing it. 2 others kept trying to sell me a street or RG instead of the RK and the last was honest saying they didn't have the bike but could get it in 6 to 8 weeks. I decided to blow the whole idea off to a later time.

Of the 4 the last was the only one that took me serious, got a call saying he had that bike I had been looking for was I still interested. No commitment, no promises he just took a chance a few months down the road and made a sale doing it. Suck part is the dealer in question was a local icon that had been a family owned business for decades, sold out a year after I bought so now I get to wrestle with the 1st three in this story if I need something. Hasn't been a positive experience to date.....

Bonnie Storm (11-15-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 10:32 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
More or less had the same experience when I went shopping for my Road King, first new bike I've owned. Hit 4 local dealers, knew exactly what I wanted and had cash. One I actually had to corner the sales manager to talk to him and he acted like I was seriously imposing on him doing it. 2 others kept trying to sell me a street or RG instead of the RK and the last was honest saying they didn't have the bike but could get it in 6 to 8 weeks. I decided to blow the whole idea off to a later time.

Of the 4 the last was the only one that took me serious, got a call saying he had that bike I had been looking for was I still interested. No commitment, no promises he just took a chance a few months down the road and made a sale doing it. Suck part is the dealer in question was a local icon that had been a family owned business for decades, sold out a year after I bought so now I get to wrestle with the 1st three in this story if I need something. Hasn't been a positive experience to date.....
At least you got the bike before he bailed.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:18 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,053 Likes on 6,220 Posts

I do at time would purchase HD parts from specific dealerships. There are some in my area I do not care for. In regards to servicing my bike, I do what I can otherwise it goes to my Indy shop(known these guys since the 70's).

Old 11-15-2018, 11:28 AM
SWFLGuy
Road Warrior
Received 1,211 Likes on 597 Posts

I love my dealership.
They make me smile every time I go there. Their prices are the same as online and I just look at all of the ways I can give away my money and do it smiling.
Life is good.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:46 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Originally Posted by kngpn
yeah a big part of sales is convincing people to buy.

throughout the years I've come across several judgmental sales people who thought I was too young or maybe didn't have any cash.

I was at a Chevy dealer several years ago when they had a Vette on display for 50k. I saw a sales guys and said sure I'll take it. His reply was "you can't afford it" I laughed and told him my annual and said I could afford 2 if I wanted and walked away while he sat there with a dumb look on his face.
Dealers don't dare do this around here. Sometimes, people dressed as bums have A LOT of money.

$$$,$$$,$$$...

Old 11-15-2018, 11:24 PM
dustinn3
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm
That's all well and good, but when I went in to purchase my bike at a local dealership, I couldn't find anyone to actually sell me the bike. Finally I just said eff it, and rode 65/70 miles to the next closest dealership and purchased it from them.

When I returned to the original dealership, I told them how they had lost out on the sale, and their comment back was "We didn't think you were actually going to purchase one, especially that one (cuz your a girl)!" Well, my money is as green as the net persons and I paid in cash, no financing, no need for approvals and all the BS that comes with it. I knew what I wanted and I was going to get it one way or another. I told then "Next time, don't be so quick to judge!" That was for my Street Glide.

Smart money takes the risk, and seeks out a potential sale instead of sitting on their butts.
Not just a woman thing. I normally get pestered to death as soon as I walk on a lot. However, for some reason the local BMW dealer wouldn't give me the time of day. My wife and I were in our mid 20's and dressed nicely looking at a little 325i convertible one day and 5 salesmen were standing there totally ignoring us. I walked up to them and they all turned and walked away. Walked out and got in my new truck that cost more than it did and never went back.

I've used the term stealership from time to time to talk about our closest dealer, not because they really steal, but it sure feels like it. I spent thousands of dollars on parts and service there and they were always rude, arrogant, and extremely high pressure. I don't think I ever left there happier than I came in. Definitely not a dealer where people actually hang out. I'm not sure how places with such poor customers service stay in business other than most people don't want to travel the extra distance, or they just think that's the way it is. I'd rather ride another 100 miles to another dealer where I bought my last bike from, where everyone is friendly and helpful. The prices are the same, but I don't feel like I'm getting screwed because I leave happy. I obviously don't mind spending money since I've owned several HD's and everything that goes with it, but life's too short to deal with pompous A-holes.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:10 AM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by NMfxdf
I could not agree more. The term has always bugged me.
Doesn't bother me. Bikers give nicknames to all kinds of people and businesses, Cagers, newbies, wantabe's, posers, and yes stealerships. I find most of the time if you take offence it's because you feel you fall into one of these categories.
Jonnierock

TroubleHead Fred (11-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Stealership Guys