General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pls Help Me Identify This Aftermarket Road King Fairing!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 11:56 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Pls Help Me Identify This Aftermarket Road King Fairing!

Hey all, I've been MIA for awhile after a wreck a few years ago, and raising my daughter as a single dad, but after taking care of business, it's been passed time to get back on two wheels... I picked up a new to me 2003 RK, which is a bike (of a different color) that I had a lot of parts for. One of the things I liked about it was this aftermarket fairing it had already installed in it, but I'm too tall for it's windshield, plus the shield is a little faded, so I want to replace the shield with a newer smoke style with a flip to get the air over my big melon.

Because it has a radio in it, and was allegedly installed by a dealer in Greenville SC, painted to match and all that, I assumed it was a quality fairing, and since it had the 5 stud design across the top, I thought it was a Hoppe, but I called them and emailed them pics and they say it's not their fairing, and that it's likely a Chinese knockoff of some kind.

I then tried to call the dealer, but the work was done so long ago they don't have a record of it anymore.

I really need to get a different shield for it, plus now I noticed that while it's secure across the top, along the sides ALL 4 side screws are missing. It appears as if the inside of the two shells is supposed to have threaded inserts so you can insert screws from the outside and secure the sides of the fairing, but some of those inserts are missing and all of the screws are gone, so I also need to get parts for this fairing.

Any help or ideas are appreciated. Thank you. Here are some pics.

I'd also like to upgrade the speakers and fix the speaker covers that you can see are wrinkled in the pics.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:16 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 892 Likes on 534 Posts

It's not a Woody's, they have 3 screws that hold the shield in place. Those empty holes along the edge look to be for the "wings" or deflectors you always see( and they do work well)!! I wouldn't be too concerned about finding another shield, it's just plastic and can be drilled to match if it doesn't line up right away. I'd inquire about the width at the bottom and do some measuring....

Old 11-15-2018, 04:36 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

I hate to say it but you may be poop out of luck unless ya get lucky. Could get expensive trying to salvage stuff from another manufacturer but best of luck. Maybe break it down and see if you can find any identifying marks?

Old 11-15-2018, 04:38 AM
Trench
Cruiser
Received 151 Likes on 61 Posts

Judging by the tint shade of the windshield, I'd say it's a Stealth Batwing which are sold by the USA Trailer Store but their RK fairing has a 3 screw windshield system. Either way it definitely looks like a Chinese fairing. I have a stealth on my Dyna and after paint it looks awesome, but I replaced the windshield with a nicer tint I bought from Reckless Industries.

Last edited by Trench; 11-15-2018 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:44 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,624 Likes on 1,530 Posts

HD makes a repair kit for those threaded inserts, part #16585-96. If the inserts in your fairing are the same size as OEM inserts, the repair kit should work on yours.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:34 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

It looks allot like the used one I picked up.
I have seen two different styles of these "knock off" fairings.
Basically its the speakers holes that very (mine is set up for 4 vs 2).
Anyhow I did some major changes to mine before having it painted and installing it.
The inserts ..... hit up Ace Hardware, most of them have a fastener room with a ton of fasteners.
You may have to do a little bit of modifying to get them to work (if you are not in a rush I need to open mine up but it will be a month of so before that happens and I can take a picture of one).
As for the windshield (if we have the same fairing) you can use the standard Harley batwing windshild (three hole unit).
It is a little snug (depending on the windshield) as the holes barely match up (some need a little help).
Do you know someone in your area with one of those bikes?
If you do ask them if they would be willing to let you check the fitment.
I have found that Long Ride Shields bolt right in with no modifications (while other require the holes to be opened up a little).

Black is stock HD outer fairing, grey is the aftermarket one.

Bolted together

They are not an exact match as you can see by the pictures...
But you can also see by the last picture that a HD batwing shield from LRS will fit (with a little English applied).
The trim covers up the open holes (not very open after the paint work).

My fits tighter than yours but that is because I also modified the mounts and how they attached to the fairing

Last edited by GRWHD; 11-15-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:43 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,774 Likes on 6,208 Posts

Not mine. Hope this helps.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:38 AM
karz10
Road Master

Originally Posted by GRWHD
It looks allot like the used one I picked up.
I have seen two different styles of these "knock off" fairings.
Basically its the speakers holes that very (mine is set up for 4 vs 2).
Anyhow I did some major changes to mine before having it painted and installing it.
The inserts ..... hit up Ace Hardware, most of them have a fastener room with a ton of fasteners.
You may have to do a little bit of modifying to get them to work (if you are not in a rush I need to open mine up but it will be a month of so before that happens and I can take a picture of one).
As for the windshield (if we have the same fairing) you can use the standard Harley batwing windshild (three hole unit).
It is a little snug (depending on the windshield) as the holes barely match up (some need a little help).
Do you know someone in your area with one of those bikes?
If you do ask them if they would be willing to let you check the fitment.
I have found that Long Ride Shields bolt right in with no modifications (while other require the holes to be opened up a little).

Black is stock HD outer fairing, grey is the aftermarket one.

Bolted together

They are not an exact match as you can see by the pictures...
But you can also see by the last picture that a HD batwing shield from LRS will fit (with a little English applied).
The trim covers up the open holes (not very open after the paint work).

My fits tighter than yours but that is because I also modified the mounts and how they attached to the fairing
Interesting, I had a LRS short tint windshield only for my old RK, and it was nice. I didn't realize that you could install the LRS with the trim added and just cover up the extra holes, I tried to call them the other day but was on hold and had to drop before I got a chance to talk to anyone. Thanks for the tip, I may look into that.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:14 PM
karz10
Road Master

Looks like the LRS trim is only for 2014 and newer fairing styles... but the above pic doesn't appear to be that style fairing, but claims he used a LRS trim piece and shield... hmmmm

Old 11-16-2018, 12:10 AM
moedee1
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Threaded inserts

Harbor Freight carries a threaded insert rivet gun.. Comes with screws and inserts
https://www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html

The following users liked this post:
Slingshot383 (11-16-2018)

Quick Reply: Pls Help Me Identify This Aftermarket Road King Fairing!