General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1947 One Owner Barn Find Knucklehead

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 11:40 AM
deadbroke
Tourer
Received 123 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry,but I would do a total restore and make that bike like new. I'm not a proponent of they're only original once. Some barn finds look like they just came off the showroom floor, those should be preserved. Others are just too far gone and need a proper redo. This bike fits that bill.

The following 2 users liked this post by deadbroke:
perki48 (11-16-2018), psyshack (11-24-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 01:22 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,895 Likes on 2,551 Posts

Originally Posted by deadbroke
Sorry,but I would do a total restore and make that bike like new. I'm not a proponent of they're only original once. Some barn finds look like they just came off the showroom floor, those should be preserved. Others are just too far gone and need a proper redo. This bike fits that bill.
In the current vintage bike world and market, lets say for conversation that bike is worth $100k, and with the right documentation that is not a crazy number. Now you go and take it all a part, repaint, chrome, parkerize, cad plate, etc all of it and re-assemble, you now have turned it into a $50k bike. Just sayin', that is the real math. Now ten years from now maybe museum perfect bikes become the new rage, again. But in today's market, that bike is the top of the heap in condition. The only thing that might hold it back is the year, they built the most Knuckles in '47. Same condition pre-war, say a 1940, that bike is the stated $100k all day long. In fact you might have guys fighting for it at that price.

The following users liked this post:
Captain Itch (11-17-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 02:16 PM
deadbroke
Tourer
Received 123 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
In the current vintage bike world and market, lets say for conversation that bike is worth $100k, and with the right documentation that is not a crazy number. Now you go and take it all a part, repaint, chrome, parkerize, cad plate, etc all of it and re-assemble, you now have turned it into a $50k bike. Just sayin', that is the real math. Now ten years from now maybe museum perfect bikes become the new rage, again. But in today's market, that bike is the top of the heap in condition. The only thing that might hold it back is the year, they built the most Knuckles in '47. Same condition pre-war, say a 1940, that bike is the stated $100k all day long. In fact you might have guys fighting for it at that price.
I totally agree with you that it will bring a big number in its current condition. What I don't get is why? What is the attraction to a clapped out bike vs.a restored bike? Myself I would rather have a restored bike. I think the current predilection will fade,and everyone who paid huge money will be kicking themselves. Just one man's opinion.

Last edited by deadbroke; 11-16-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:29 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,208 Likes on 8,363 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben221
No way it gets restored. I would get it running and ride it. Swap out the tires or anything else and save them of course.

`Gotta restore the seat before you ride that, though.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:33 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,208 Likes on 8,363 Posts

, And it would be a real beauty too.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:40 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,740 Likes on 6,191 Posts

My antique friends (and me too) for the most part, restore their bikes. One of them is a '26 JD with a sidecar that looks and (I would wager) runs better than the one at the H-D museum. They can be picky about not using re-pop fenders and other parts, but those bikes look like showroom and get ridden regularly, turning heads across several states. Never seen one of theirs on a trailer, and never been broken down anywhere with any of them, and I'm talking about everything from Flatheads to Knuckles, Pans, Shovels, and even an Indian or two.
They might not be worth as much in the antique market, but are priceless to us.
A recent outing...
Attachment 618890

Old 11-16-2018, 02:50 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Ah.... no......

Old 11-16-2018, 03:39 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,740 Likes on 6,191 Posts

Of course, most of my friend's bikes started out as a half of a case, or little more than an oil stain.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 04:10 PM
Bass Player
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,925 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Originally Posted by tom84fxst
there is absolutely nothing wrong with it...but there are several things on it that are not stock ...

The bumpers..the front wheel cover..the muffler...the lights on the side of front fender..virtually everything bolted to the rear fender...

Not stock but popular mods when it was new...i wouldn't even remove them...i would go through great pains to get it like new mechanically with out screwing up the "pantina"
Bingo!

Last edited by Bass Player; 11-16-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:30 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
That bike has lots of things that are not "original"...but were probably done when the bike was close to new...what do they call those..."period correct modifications"
."period correct modifications" translated mean butchered when almost new. It is cool. I am sure who even ends up with it will save it from getting worst.
I have a option to purchase a 46 with sidecar when a friend dies if he goes before I do. If no one in the family steps up I get first chance at a fair market price.
Not holding my breath, I sure someone will step up and purchase it from the estate. he did not raise dummies.

Last edited by smitty901; 11-16-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 1947 One Owner Barn Find Knucklehead