General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switch back and forth between dino and synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 10:08 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

I don't disagree with anything said about switching between Dino and Synthetic but do have a question. I've read that you shouldn't mix the two (IE: add dino to synthetic or vice versa if your a quart low). When you change the oil isn't there about a quart left in the engine so if you change types aren't you mixing the two?

Old 11-16-2018, 10:35 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowforNow
I never heard of these oils. I wouldn't be surprised if people buy them and label them superior by way of the placebo effect.
Some "boutique" oils~

Bel-Ray
Harley-Davidson
Ford
GM Dex
Golden~Spectro
Torco
Klotz
Maxima
many others.

Here's a little secret...

Quite often, these "boutique" compounders will buy a base stock (from a major oil co.,) THEN add their own proprietary additive package. This is all well and good, except for a couple things.
1. They have zero control over the quality of the base stock., and
2. They don't really have the resources to improve/test their product, unless prodded by Gov't regulation. They also have a tough time complying with new specifications from the API. Some, have gone as far as file suite because their product couldn't pass the "SH" test. Oh well, as long as they have people that swear by their product (and keep buying it,) they keep selling it.

Now, some of you may wonder...what makes a "Major oil co. compare to a minor oil co."

Well, the difference is that a major oil has total control of the crude oil extracted, to their own refineries, via their own transports to their own GAS STATIONS, to you.

A minor oil co usually does NOT have any oil fields, and rarely a refinery. They usually buy base stocks (or bright stocks) on the open market from any one (or more) of the majors.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:28 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

WTF.......
No, for real. Where are all you common sense, dead on mother F-ers hiding..... When the douche brigade starts in on the... OMG, if you switch oil brand, or don't run this or that synthetic, your motor will spontaneously combust!!!
All these great, on point answers need to show up in the OIL THREADS!!!!!
For realz... Speak up where your voice can be heard!!!

Old 11-16-2018, 11:32 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Some "boutique" oils~

Bel-Ray
Harley-Davidson
Ford
GM Dex
Golden~Spectro
Torco
Klotz
Maxima
many others.

Here's a little secret...

Quite often, these "boutique" compounders will buy a base stock (from a major oil co.,) THEN add their own proprietary additive package. This is all well and good, except for a couple things.
1. They have zero control over the quality of the base stock., and
2. They don't really have the resources to improve/test their product, unless prodded by Gov't regulation. They also have a tough time complying with new specifications from the API. Some, have gone as far as file suite because their product couldn't pass the "SH" test. Oh well, as long as they have people that swear by their product (and keep buying it,) they keep selling it.

Now, some of you may wonder...what makes a "Major oil co. compare to a minor oil co."

Well, the difference is that a major oil has total control of the crude oil extracted, to their own refineries, via their own transports to their own GAS STATIONS, to you.

A minor oil co usually does NOT have any oil fields, and rarely a refinery. They usually buy base stocks (or bright stocks) on the open market from any one (or more) of the majors.
Did a stint in a smaller oil packaging company and you are exactly right about base stock, they would mix a 10K gallon batch of whatever spec. product was ordered and it would go into several different brand bottles to be shipped.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:34 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
WTF.......
No, for real. Where are all you common sense, dead on mother F-ers hiding..... When the douche brigade starts in on the... OMG, if you switch oil brand, or don't run this or that synthetic, your motor will spontaneously combust!!!
All these great, on point answers need to show up in the OIL THREADS!!!!!
For realz... Speak up where your voice can be heard!!!
People find the silliest **** to obsess over when it comes to motorcycles, this place is a gold mine for it.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:10 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Did a stint in a smaller oil packaging company and you are exactly right about base stock, they would mix a 10K gallon batch of whatever spec. product was ordered and it would go into several different brand bottles to be shipped.
I worked for a "major" for 32 years...

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 02:41 AM
HogzBreath
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
People find the silliest **** to obsess over when it comes to motorcycles, this place is a gold mine for it.
I concur 100% --- I have used nothing but H-D Dino oil in my bikes for almost 40 years, just change the damn oil every 5k-6k and ride it like you stole it...

Old 11-17-2018, 07:24 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Glad I found this oil thread, wasn't sure how I was going to get through the winter.

(note: sarcasm)

The following users liked this post:
iamcmf99 (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 02:16 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 609 Posts

Oil threads are Click Bait.