General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry Mouth while riding?

Old 11-16-2018, 02:54 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,200 Likes on 8,359 Posts

Originally Posted by HogzBreath
Back in the day, we used to call this phenomenon "Cotton Mouth" and it was believed to have been caused by some questionable behavior --- anyway, the way we rectified it was a beer stop... Well, that is the rumor.
Now, I usually just stop and grab an Iced Tea.
But beer is better.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:33 PM
HogzBreath
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
But beer is better.
I totally agree, but at my age I need all my facilities to work properly when riding... Falling down hurts more when you get older.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:08 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
Holy ****!

I thought I drank a lot of water. Four gallons! You must have felt water logged! Your belly must have been sloshing around like a water balloon!

I didn't think a person would have the capacity to drink four gallons
We don't. Water becomes toxic before 2 gallons.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:36 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
We don't. Water becomes toxic before 2 gallons.
While I know it can be fatal drinking too much too soon it can be spread out.

A healthy set of kidneys can get rid of about a quart an hour, as long as you are replacing electrolytes you can drink quite a bit spread out over the day. My wife (who's diabetic) easily drinks over 2 gallons of water everyday. She has one of those 100oz mugs/jug and she fills it with ice water when she gets up and takes it and a gallon of storebought spring water to work every day and drinks it before she gets home.

We have a water cooler at home and I have no idea how much she drinks here after she gets home but she has her mug full at all times. She's been doing that for at least 10 years. I've never met anyone who drinks as much water as she does.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:54 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,200 Likes on 8,359 Posts

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
While I know it can be fatal drinking too much too soon it can be spread out.

A healthy set of kidneys can get rid of about a quart an hour, as long as you are replacing electrolytes you can drink quite a bit spread out over the day. My wife (who's diabetic) easily drinks over 2 gallons of water everyday. She has one of those 100oz mugs/jug and she fills it with ice water when she gets up and takes it and a gallon of storebought spring water to work every day and drinks it before she gets home.

We have a water cooler at home and I have no idea how much she drinks here after she gets home but she has her mug full at all times. She's been doing that for at least 10 years. I've never met anyone who drinks as much water as she does.
She must be up all night relieving her kidneys then.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Trench
Cruiser
Received 151 Likes on 61 Posts

One of the main symptoms of high blood sugar (hyperglycemia) is frequent urination. Your body is trying to rid itself of excess glucose by urination and this causes EXTREME thirst. A lot of people think with diabetics that all the fluid intake causes all the pissing, but it's the other way around, all the pissing to flush out excess sugar causes the thirst...and it's a craving for fluids like nothing a non-diabetic will ever understand. Like I said before, I drank 4 gallons of water in about 12 hours trying to quench the thirst from pissing literally every 5 minutes all night long. When I went to the ER my blood glucose was 850+ and the nurses couldn't believe I walked in upright. The only time I wasn't dying from an unbelievable fire-like thirst was when the water was literally washing down my throat....as soon as I stopped drinking even for 30 seconds it was back. Diabetes is not something to play with...if the OP needs fluids constantly to avoid feeling thirsty, he should get himself checked out.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:05 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Trench
One of the main symptoms of high blood sugar (hyperglycemia) is frequent urination. Your body is trying to rid itself of excess glucose by urination and this causes EXTREME thirst. A lot of people think with diabetics that all the fluid intake causes all the pissing, but it's the other way around, all the pissing to flush out excess sugar causes the thirst...and it's a craving for fluids like nothing a non-diabetic will ever understand. Like I said before, I drank 4 gallons of water in about 12 hours trying to quench the thirst from pissing literally every 5 minutes all night long. When I went to the ER my blood glucose was 850+ and the nurses couldn't believe I walked in upright. The only time I wasn't dying from an unbelievable fire-like thirst was when the water was literally washing down my throat....as soon as I stopped drinking even for 30 seconds it was back. Diabetes is not something to play with...if the OP needs fluids constantly to avoid feeling thirsty, he should get himself checked out.
The OP when riding chooses not to drink but a sip before a ride than use these tabs so you do not have to stop except for gas. A pair of tabs lasts about 4~6 hours so one does not have to stop. It takes time to hit the head to elevate urine so with the tabs all you have to do is let one melt in your mouth and only worry about having to stop every 3 hours/for fuel and 6 hours for a break than on to another 6 hours to get where you want to go. I have seen a 81 leave NYC to California (cerita 1972~3), rest, than ride back. It was a long time ago so he was moving full time. He did this on his Rigid.

Thanks for everyone's concern's. Just a better solution for riding a longer distance alternative.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:21 PM
PovertyRider
Road Master
Received 197 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by dpmerrill
This thread is making me thirsty
Funny, it's making me have to pee!

Old 11-17-2018, 01:24 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,652 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Never had a problem with a dry mouth, especially since I stopped smoking pot many years ago.

However my nose gets itchy when I take a long ride. The older the bike, the more it vibrates, the faster it gets itchy. The M8 isn't so bad but the older vibrators, yeah.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:20 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
She must be up all night relieving her kidneys then.
You would think so, but she only gets up maybe once in the night. I on the other hand don't drink much and have to get up to pee every hour and a half after midnight. Makes me want to smack (jk)her lying there all cozy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dry Mouth while riding?