General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to riding with heated gear first time ....

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 10:24 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Do you ever plug your bike into a tender? Your battery might need a “top up”. It’s isn’t bad to throw it on a tender over night once a month even if you ride daily.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:27 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

My bike is tendered all the time I'm not riding it, winter and summer. I got 10 years out of my OEM HD battery.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:49 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

When it gets a little colder for you buy a pair of the heated over pants. They plug into the other wire coming out if you jacket. Get a dual controller, one side will work your gloves the other will work the jacket and pants. Heated gear was the best thing I've done for riding after changing the cam.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:35 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

I have my heated gear battery connector set up so it peeks out under the seat from the front left. It has about 4" of cable and is cable tied to the frame under the seat. This is just the right amount of cable (for me) to attach to my heated jacket, with enough free play to get on and off the bike and without wires dangling around. Your mileage may vary.

When I am not using the heated gear, I just tuck the connector under the seat and it is invisible.

I have my wireless remote controller (for gloves and jacket liner) mounted on the bars using a quad lock mount. 2 seconds to take it off and put it in my pocket if I want to mount my phone or tuner instead - and it still works in the pocket, you just can't adjust on the go.

It's about as perfect a set up as I can think of. Super easy to use, no dangling wires and disappears in seconds when I'm not using the heated gear.

I rode 250 miles today and was lovely and toasty warm all the way. Heated gear rules!

Old 11-17-2018, 03:57 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

Or just park the bike for the winter.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:15 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

We kake a nice little panel for your wires for the heated gear .. If you have any questions just let us know .. https://shop.captain-itch.com/Magnet...Tank-Panel.htm

Old 11-18-2018, 10:56 AM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

For me, this is a great thread.

I rode yesterday. Used my heated gear. It all worked. And it worked pretty much exactly as everyone described. The battery was not a problem. As someone(s) said, the alternator had no problem charging my battery AND powering the heated gear.

The only problem that I had was it actually got too hot and I had to turn off the gloves. But I could not easily find the switches to turn them off and on (without looking down for a long time). Thats when I realized the importance of all the other things you guys told me about tying the wires somehow to the bike.

Finally, based on yesterday, I think that the panel that Captain Itch linked to might really work for me(with the magnet). I figured out that if I lay the two switches across the tank (near where the tank and the seat meet) then I could have easy access to the two switches. The problem is, how do I implement that? I was going to use a zip tie under the leather panel strip. But the little panel with the magnet will work fine for me, particularly if the magnet will hold through the leather strip on the tank.

All in all, I liked it!

Last edited by BobRR; 11-18-2018 at 11:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Captain Itch (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 03:32 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Get a wireless remote controller. Mount it on the bars. Then you can just adjust the heat on gloves and jacket immediately and separately. Perfect solution.

The following users liked this post:
kap1 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 08:36 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

^^^^^^Yea,,,,,,,that thing works great!!!

Old 11-18-2018, 09:41 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I use the dual controller pouch and mount it either on my leather jacket belt or hang it on my left jacket pocket.

For the bike wiring harness that's wired directly to the battery, I run the wires in behind the mid-frame heat deflector and I installed a "panel style" power plug-in jack in the plastic deflector.

I route the wiring from the controller behind my left leg down to the power jack.

In addition to my heated gloves and jacket, I also have heated grips and dual heated seats.
I've used the heated grips, gloves and jacket along with the rider's heated seat at the same time (not on the highest settings) but not the highest settings with no noticeable issues.

I keep try to use my battery tender if not riding my bike frequently but during cooler weather and winter storage they're rarely off of the tender(s).

Quick Reply: Going to riding with heated gear first time ....