General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to riding with heated gear first time ....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 04:24 PM
BobRR
Road Master
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Going to riding with heated gear first time ....

I am going to be riding with heated gear tomorrow for the first time. They are Gerbing gloves and a Gerbing Jacket.

I just sat on the bike and everything works fine but I do not know about the wires that hang down on the left side and ultimately plug into the dongle that goes to the battery. Should those wires be between my left and the bike? Or should i loop them under my left leg. I am thinking I should loop them under my left leg, otherwise, because of slack, the wires could contact the hot engine when riding.

Anyway, are there any "gotchas" that I should be aware of"

Thanks

Old 11-16-2018, 05:00 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

I have my harness come out under the front of the seat. I tuck it away during warm months, and can get it out in a flash, when it's time to put on the grebings
Pretty much anything you want.. is "correct"

The following users liked this post:
Death Valley Ultra (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 05:04 PM
BobRR
Road Master

Is it a problem if the wires come in contact with the hot parts or the engine or are the well enough insulated so that is not a problem?

Old 11-16-2018, 05:14 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

I'd make sure its attached to the bike someway. I zip tied my heated gear dongle to the rear crash bar on the left side and plug the wire into there. I have a wireless controller I mount on the left side clutch fluid lid.I never had a problem with it blowing into the engine, I did burn up the wires when I tucked them under a heated seat that was on once. Enjoy the heated gear. Only way to go when it gets cold.

Last edited by heavymetalthunder; 11-16-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:20 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,133 Likes on 11,098 Posts

The biggest problem will be forgetting to unplug when you dismount.

The following 2 users liked this post by upflying:
Bluesrider.df (11-17-2018), kap1 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 05:44 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Keep the wires away from the motor.......I keep my wires come up from the front of the seat......the wire that comes from the jacket is down at the zipper.

Dont plug in until the motor is running........disconnect before you stop engine.......(but YeS....you will forget to unlpug before dismounting!!)

I also keep my remote adjuster in the fairing pocket so I can adjust as necessary....

Old 11-16-2018, 07:15 PM
BobRR
Road Master

Thanks to all. I knew I would get good advice if I asked here!

Old 11-16-2018, 08:12 PM
BobRR
Road Master

On more question please.

My battery is a little weak. Its 2 years old. Once the bike is running and the voltage regulator has kicked in, does the battery play any role in delivering the 8 amps or so that are needed for the gloves and jacket? I don't want to get 100 miles down the road and find out the battery could not handle the current. So I guess my question is, what role does the battery play once the bike is running?

Old 11-17-2018, 08:05 AM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Battery should not be weak in 2 years......not sure what bike ya got but my 07 has a 50 amp 3 phase alternator, EASILY handles the heated gear.....
Once the motor is started the alternator charges the battery up to about 14.6V.............so like i said......hook up only once the motor is running and disconnect before you stop the motor and the battery will never see the draw from the gear, will only be seen by the alternator

Old 11-17-2018, 09:34 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

I have ran out of the battery box and out towards the motor. Makes it pretty easy to manage the slack and then usually tuck the connector end between the tank and seat. Plug the dual controller into the cable just mentioned and good to go. Just keep the controller fastened to something like a belt. Mine have a holster so clips to the leather tab on my Fox Creek leather jacket or the belt of my Gerbings outer jacket. Welcome to cold weather riding bliss!!!

Quick Reply: Going to riding with heated gear first time ....