General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

converted utility trailer to an enclosed bike hauler

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 12:49 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts
Default converted utility trailer to an enclosed bike hauler

Somebodey posted not too long ago about using conduit and a tarp to create an enclosed bike hauler out of an Utility trailer.

Can't find the post but would like to communicate with that poster.

Trying to decide wether to sell my utility trailer and buy a box trailer or modify the Utility trailer like that poster did to get the best of both worlds so to speak.

Hope the poster sees this.

Thanks

Old 11-18-2018, 01:36 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

I found the post and sent the poster a PM.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:18 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,183 Likes on 5,610 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
I found the post and sent the poster a PM.
Can you post a link to that thread? I missed it and would be interested to read about how it was done.

The following users liked this post:
kokemill (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 09:57 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Motorcycle Trailer Owners Advice post 3

It seemed like a good idea, but from the PM he sent me, the conversion cost is high ($2500). The cover is made from heavy duty tarp material like what is used on flat bed trailers and needs to be sewn togeterr. This would be difficult to reproduce or have made. Yes he used only 1/2" conduit for the frame ribs, but there is also plywood under the cover for rigidity and impact resistance. Not sure how convienent assembly and disassembly would be and there is the problem of where to store the removable items when just using it for utility purposed. Not quite what I was hoping would be having the "best of both worlds"

Looks like I'm going to sell my utility trailer that has served me well for quite a few years and get a v-nose light weight MC hauler that will double for trips to Lowes or home Depot when I need lumber, sheet goods or even bagged garden products. Really don't need a open Utility trailer any more. My Utility trailer is heavy and with all that added weight, not even considering the bike weight, would be costly to tow. Even with the price of a new trailer, a new lightweight trailer would be more cost efficient in the long run.

Last edited by FrankEV; 11-19-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:49 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,183 Likes on 5,610 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
It seemed like a good idea, but from the PM he sent me, the conversion cost is high ($2500)...
Seems to me a guy could buy a decent enclosed trailer for $2500. Why bother with all the hassle of the canvas material when you could have a trailer for the same amount?

Old 11-20-2018, 06:52 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

Depends on your usage.
But if I was to make make a convertible (so to speak) I would lean more to hard sides and maybe even a hard top over canvas (personally).
Especially if most of its use was open not covered.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:25 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
Seems to me a guy could buy a decent enclosed trailer for $2500. Why bother with all the hassle of the canvas material when you could have a trailer for the same amount?
Yep, the one I'm looking at is listed at $2600 and I can get them to throw in a Spare (rim and tire) and a set of jacks that go under the rear corners to help stabilize the trailer when loading.

Hopefully I can get about a third of that cost by selling my utility trailer. Out of Pocket will then only be about $1800.

The real big benefit to a light weight V-nose trailer, beside the towing cost efficiency, is the bed is almost 3 inches lower than my utility trailer making loadimg and unloading a bike much easier. Eventhough the tailgate on my utility trailer is tall (when up) it is too short (when down) to be an easy gentle on ramp. I recently used it to haul a 2006 Yamaha 650 Vstar I purchased cheap to be used by my S.O. while she is learning to ride that weighs under 500 lbs. We pushed the bike onto the trailer and the bike frame hit the end of the trailer where the gate hinge point is. I think riding a 750 lb bike up onto the utility trailer using only the existing tailgate as the ramp from level ground would be kind of dangerous. My lowered bike would definately hit as it has less than 3" ground clearence.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:31 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,785 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Yep ... I agree ... Why go through the hassle?

Old 11-20-2018, 10:33 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by GRWHD
Depends on your usage.
But if I was to make make a convertible (so to speak) I would lean more to hard sides and maybe even a hard top over canvas (personally).
Especially if most of its use was open not covered.
I agree. If I still needed an open utility trailer, I think that is the way I would go. Would add a lot of weight and be kind of ugly, but would do the job. Assembling and disassembling the box would seem be a time consuming chore. And, of course, there is still the problem of where to store the removable parts when the open trailer is needed.

Last edited by FrankEV; 11-20-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:32 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

I picked up a very lightly used Pace American 5x10 v-nose a couple months ago for $1200.