General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

uhaul 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer hauling a bagger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 05:09 PM
coryhdwg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uhaul 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer hauling a bagger?

So it looks as though ill be making the move from BOS to Arizona soon and I'm looking into options on getting my bike there.. At first (and still a possibility) I planned to get a wide ramp from discount ramps and just load into my pick up and pack light.. Recently I've debated trailering.. I don't want to buy a trailer as I don't want to have to worry about where to store it later, and I plan to possibly get rid of my truck for a bit. So renting is the way id go.

I looked on uhauls website along with calling around, and apparently the open utility and motorcycle trailers aren't available for long haul.. I have a 15 rgs, I know it should physically fit but, can i strap it down? I doubt they have floor tie downs.. Ive thought about cutting thick plywood and bolting my wheel chock to it but I'm worried it can still hop, somewhat, over big bumps.. Enclosed would also be preferred given the time of year..

Anyone here have experience? maybe photos? TIA

Old 11-18-2018, 05:20 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

No matter what trailer if possible. Loading a heavy touring bike into the back of a truck is not for the timid. Done it a few times and hope to never have to do it again. One minor slip can spell major disaster and injury.

The following users liked this post:
coryhdwg (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 05:29 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,166 Likes on 11,106 Posts

I think you will have to figure out the ramp issue when loading it, their enclosed trailers have roll up rear doors. The aluminum floors are slippery so I would be concerned about the bike "walking" across the floor and falling over without the chock or some channel preventing side movement of the tires. There are no floor tie downs but the walls have tie down horizontal rows of wood strips..

Last edited by upflying; 11-18-2018 at 05:32 PM.
coryhdwg (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 05:50 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,381 Likes on 2,486 Posts

Use a 8X4 sheet of 3/4 plywood. Bolt a wheel chock to it, along with tie down hooks at all 4 corners. Get at least 3, 2X10X2 boards about 5 feet long and bolt ramp tongues to one end.. The 2X10's will be your ramps, Cheap, easy to store and reusable. You need at least 3. The bike will go in and come out on the center board. Place another on each side for your feet. Try backing out of something only using one foot and you'll see why.
Along with strapping your bike securely to the plywood, strap it to the tie downs within the trailer. With the bike strapped to the trailer and the plywood, it won't go anywhere.

The following 2 users liked this post by pbsdaddy:
coryhdwg (11-18-2018), Dirty Harry (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 06:05 PM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

If you go with your truck be sure the bed is long enough. My Sportster would just barely fit in the bed of my Tacoma. Also bent my tailgate while loading. Most dealers have a loading ramp or lift they use. Might help you out. If my bike is in a trailer I would want it secured to something connected to the frame. Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by 5wheels:
coryhdwg (11-18-2018), nytryder (11-20-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 06:06 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

Don’t tell Uhaul that you’re transporting a bike. They may not rent to you.

The following 2 users liked this post by SamStone:
coryhdwg (11-18-2018), pbsdaddy (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 06:18 PM
coryhdwg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pbsdaddy
Use a 8X4 sheet of 3/4 plywood. Bolt a wheel chock to it, along with tie down hooks at all 4 corners. Get at least 3, 2X10X2 boards about 5 feet long and bolt ramp tongues to one end.. The 2X10's will be your ramps, Cheap, easy to store and reusable. You need at least 3. The bike will go in and come out on the center board. Place another on each side for your feet. Try backing out of something only using one foot and you'll see why.
Along with strapping your bike securely to the plywood, strap it to the tie downs within the trailer. With the bike strapped to the trailer and the plywood, it won't go anywhere.
This was kind of my plan, but id also add a couple 2x6's to the sides of the plywood to prevent side movement

Old 11-18-2018, 06:19 PM
coryhdwg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SamStone
Don’t tell Uhaul that you’re transporting a bike. They may not rent to you.
They don't need details..

Old 11-18-2018, 06:51 PM
graygoat
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 187 Posts

I think what pbsdaddy said will work for you. I would load your bike and just put it on your side stand and see what tounge wt you get. You will want between 10 - 14% of the loaded trailer wt on the hitch. You may need to move the bike forward or back to get that tounge wt. Once you have that, then move your plywood floor & chock to the right spot in the trailer. Then I would bolt or screw 2x6 bracing to the plywood floor, so that the 2x6 ends brace against the side walls and front walls. Once all loaded, the wt of the bike and the braces will keep the plywood from shifting in the trailer.
Don't for get "transport mode" & I would tie a fob to the handle bar also. Best of luck in your move.

Last edited by graygoat; 11-18-2018 at 06:53 PM.
coryhdwg (11-18-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 12:17 AM
Navyvette
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 68 Posts

I used a 6x12 uhaul trailer for my road king special and Indian. I bought cheap wheel chocks from harbor freight and bolted them to 2x8s. I took the bags off the RKS and put them up front. Ran from San Jose to Phoenix that way. Remember there are no tie downs in the enclosed ones just the wall boards so you have to make your own.
Worked like a champ. I was lucky and have an aluminum ramp for wheelchairs to load with.

coryhdwg (11-20-2018)

Quick Reply: uhaul 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer hauling a bagger?