General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luxury or Hobby or What

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 05:05 PM
EPOCH6
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

All of the above. It's a luxury because it's something I saved up for, spent an enormous amount of income on, yet primarily use for impractical self-indulgent reasons. It's a hobby because I love wrenching and learning about engines and engineering in general. It's a tool because it enables me to burn less fuel on the way to work every day and arrive feeling alive, smiling, and eager to take on whatever is coming my way. It's a lifestyle (I say that while cringing) because it encourages and motivates me, like nothing else does, to go forth and live, travel, explore, and to accept an additional level of risk and danger in exchange for a more exciting, fulfilling, and memorable life.

The following 2 users liked this post by EPOCH6:
eleutheros (11-21-2018), MajorKG (11-23-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 05:05 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts

Originally Posted by BikerPepe`
The more you have, the less "things" may mean to you. The less you have, the more you appreciate what you've been able to get. I'm the 3rd generation Harley rider in my family. I've never thought of my bike as a "Hobby" and I don't have money to blow on what most would consider "Luxury" items. My bike is as much a part of me and my life as my prosthetic foot. Take away either one and I'll go stir crazy, sooner than later.

Nobody that knows me would ever ask me a question like that. Live to Ride, Ride to Live!
...And my ties are severed clean
The less I have, the more I gain
Off the beaten path I reign
Rover, wanderer
Nomad, vagabond
Call me what you will

The following users liked this post:
BikerPepe` (11-22-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 09:02 PM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by EPOCH6
All of the above. It's a luxury because it's something I saved up for, spent an enormous amount of income on, yet primarily use for impractical self-indulgent reasons. It's a hobby because I love wrenching and learning about engines and engineering in general. It's a tool because it enables me to burn less fuel on the way to work every day and arrive feeling alive, smiling, and eager to take on whatever is coming my way. It's a lifestyle (I say that while cringing) because it encourages and motivates me, like nothing else does, to go forth and live, travel, explore, and to accept an additional level of risk and danger in exchange for a more exciting, fulfilling, and memorable life.
OK it's a luxury, but also my life. So I don't care what anyone says, though I get it from my wife when others bend her ear.
A VERY old lady walked by me the other day as I was saddling up and says "I call you guys angels just waiting to go to heaven". Well lady, some people want to live life, and some want to hide on the sofa.

tar_snake (11-26-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 12:38 AM
Prot
Club Member

Originally Posted by eleutheros
OK it's a luxury, but also my life. So I don't care what anyone says, though I get it from my wife when others bend her ear.
A VERY old lady walked by me the other day as I was saddling up and says "I call you guys angels just waiting to go to heaven". Well lady, some people want to live life, and some want to hide on the sofa.
And some put two wheels under a sofa

Old 11-22-2018, 10:49 AM
Cozz
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,845 Likes on 1,848 Posts

Originally Posted by eleutheros
most people just don’t get it, and never will. It must look like a huge waste of time and money to an outsider. I would consider my bike a bit of a luxury, because I don’t have a lot of money invested in it, but more of a hobby that I enjoy a lot. Some months i’m super in to it, some months i’m not. Life goes on.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:22 AM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,274 Likes on 5,557 Posts

My bike is many things to me

Luxury, because its one of the most expensive and nicest things I own.

Hobby, because I can derive pleasure from just being around it, either working on it, riding it for no practical reason, or just sitting there admiring it.

Necessity, because I use it daily for transportation to my 1st job (Motorcycles get priority parking), it saves me on gas, and at my 2nd job, it fits better in tight areas when making deliveries (that tourpak works great for hauling stuff)

Lifestyle choice, because it allows me to decompress and just get away from life for a while by myself or as part of a select group (depending on my mood), and is cheaper than psychobabble therapies.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:41 PM
m1369x
Road Warrior
Received 675 Likes on 381 Posts

Two words to them!
**** THE F*** OFF
Just because you live in lib land who pays your bills

tar_snake (11-26-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 07:45 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by m1369x
Two words to them!
**** THE F*** OFF
Just because you live in lib land who pays your bills
i think that's 4 words.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:43 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

When I kick my Pan to life, my heart goes Potato Potato Potato. ...... trying to describe it is like trying to describe any passion.. impossible.

Old 11-23-2018, 01:34 AM
Prot
Club Member

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
When I kick my Pan to life, my heart goes Potato Potato Potato. ...... trying to describe it is like trying to describe any passion.. impossible.

I am glad you are kicking your pan and not kicking the bucket.

It's an emotionally rough Thanksgiving for me so I am looking for humor where I can find it.

tar_snake (11-26-2018)

Quick Reply: Luxury or Hobby or What