Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Luxury or Hobby or What (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1261333-luxury-or-hobby-or-what.html)

eleutheros 11-18-2018 06:39 PM

Luxury or Hobby or What

How do you categorize (justify?) your bike and cost?
All my wife's friends and family call my bike a luxury. Can't think of it that way, though now that I'm retired I can't say it's my daily/main transportation.
It could be called a hobby but her hobbies of cooking, gardening, and walking is cheap and benefits us all.
I need a way to say Life Support that they'll understand...
Sport doesn't get it.
I've always had one everywhere I could have one, even before I owned a car, and I will until I feel I can't, but my only answer when this comes up is to go for a ride, and:icon_smallest: use it more for errands instead of the big 4 wheel box.

Cosmic Razorback 11-18-2018 06:42 PM

I don’t try or have to justify it. It is something the wife and I really enjoy. We get a lot of pleasure from it and to us it is money well spent. Our friends or family have no saying, and if they did I would quickly remind them it is NOT their money we spend.

Actually our HD’s have been way less expensive than our offshore performance boating days!

rob0225 11-18-2018 06:48 PM

Why do you have to justify it? Why can't it just be a mode of transportation no different then a car.

TSheff 11-18-2018 06:50 PM

I can't imagine anyone posing the question, or feeling the need to answer if they did.
I earned my money, I buy what I please.
Once when my wife was asked by another woman if I asked her before I bought one of my bikes, she quickly responded he doesn't have to ask me anything.
If you have shelter and food, are supporting yourself, then you need not explain or justify anything.

AussieDog 11-18-2018 07:01 PM

For Enjoyment

I've had 19 motorcycles in the 47 years I have been riding. Some were new, some used, some cheap, the last four have been more expensive. Why did I get involved and stay involved? It looked fun, it was interesting, there was a lot to learn, I enjoy it. That sounds for me like its a hobby. As for justification- because I want to and have been fortunate enough to be able to. If someone were to pry into my business as to justification - because I am a selfish bastard, enjoy spending money on myself, and am pissing away the kids inheritance!

Bricklayer 11-18-2018 07:11 PM

None of their business, plus I'm sure my bikes are much cheaper than a psychiatrist.

5150northrider 11-18-2018 07:13 PM

What business is it of theirs? Do you live in their house? Do you owe them money? Not sure why you would care what anyone but your wife thinks about your business? If the answer to the questions is no! Then let it go. If they say something about it politely say why do you ask? And politely say mind your business...

bagga 11-18-2018 07:24 PM

i have 2 rules. i don't tell anyone what they should do and they don't tell me what i should do. i had that problem with an in-law once, i don't have that problem anymore.

crtfibl 11-18-2018 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bricklayer (Post 17834638)
None of their business, plus I'm sure my bikes are much cheaper than a psychiatrist.

Best answer and full of truth!

dickey 11-18-2018 07:38 PM

My steel whore is a link with my youth; I have had a bike since '72, and a Harley since '78. If I were to get rid of it, then I would really be old. As long as I have it, I feel young.