General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fluid Migration to Primary

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 08:55 PM
AtlantaRider
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Migration to Primary

Can anyone provide guidance? i purchased a new 2018 Road Glide Ultra in May, 2018. Fluids were changed at 1k & 5k miles. At 6300 miles, my trans dipstick was showing zero level. I topped it off and while on trip I checked fluid again at 6680 miles and dipstick dry again. i called my dealership in Atlanta area and they told me to cancel my trip top it off and get my *** back. i searched the internet and HDforums and found to my amazement that Harley knows about the problem. My bike had 6995 miles when i dropped it off. My HD service center was told by MoCo to get the fluids at the right level and tell the customer to bring it back at 10k miles. Btw, the T fluid is going into Primary ( no leaks). I picked up bike and rode it 350 miles and it went from full on dipstick to add. It transferred 3oz in 350 miles. I took bike back to dealer on Nov 4 and it is still there. They are waiting to get a plan from MoCo on what to do. I told the dealership to get the problem fixed or give me a new bike. I refuse to ride a bike that has issues like this. Hell, in good conscience I could not sell the bike to someone. It appears after over 1.5 years that this problem has been known, MoCo doesn't have solution. If anyone knows a solution and can provide guidance please contact me. If any of you are lawyers do I have any legal recourse? Thanks in advance, Walt

Old 11-28-2018, 09:02 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts
Old 11-28-2018, 09:07 PM
anthony_b.
Road Captain
Received 170 Likes on 106 Posts

...in most states(not sure about yours), but if a vehicle is in the shop three times with an unsuccessful repair, it may be able to be "lemon lawed". I'd look into it at least, something to consider.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:08 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Heckuva first post.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:30 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by anthony_b.
...in most states(not sure about yours), but if a vehicle is in the shop three times with an unsuccessful repair, it may be able to be "lemon lawed". I'd look into it at least, something to consider.
Most states lemon laws specifically exclude motorcycles. Georgia, where he is from apparently, excludes motorcycles.
​​

Last edited by Keithhu; 11-28-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:46 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I have a 17 RGS and it transferred once at 10K, It has not done it since. About 1 to 2 percent of the 17 and 18 touring are affected. There is a fix which involves a tech coming from HD and installing a breather to the primary case.

I went and vented it myself as it is easier for me than making appointments getting the bike in and then going to get it.

No transmission has failed nor any accidents. It is interesting how some are ready to go to the extreme with such a minor problem. It seems that it self limits to 8 oz left in the trans. The six speed does not fail with 8 oz in the trans.

Just M8 bikes with hydraulic clutches seem to be affected.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:10 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I have a 17 RGS and it transferred once at 10K, It has not done it since. About 1 to 2 percent of the 17 and 18 touring are affected. There is a fix which involves a tech coming from HD and installing a breather to the primary case.

I went and vented it myself as it is easier for me than making appointments getting the bike in and then going to get it.

No transmission has failed nor any accidents. It is interesting how some are ready to go to the extreme with such a minor problem. It seems that it self limits to 8 oz left in the trans. The six speed does not fail with 8 oz in the trans.

Just M8 bikes with hydraulic clutches seem to be affected.
Mine did it in the first 1000 miles and hasn't really done it much since then. Nonetheless, I installed the thicker clutch push rod last week and feel good about it. I think the percentage transferring is probably much, much higher than 1 or 2 percent though, although many owners probably never check their fluids to see it.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:58 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

I guess it shouldn't, but it amazes me that people will purchase a $25K+ vehicle and not do any research on the vehicle beforehand, especially when information is so readily available these days.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:52 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,188 Likes on 5,615 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I guess it shouldn't, but it amazes me that people will purchase a $25K+ vehicle and not do any research on the vehicle beforehand, especially when information is so readily available these days.
It amazes me that a company would continue to sell a $25K to $40K vehicle but do nothing to address the known problems of said vehicle.
Look at the 2000-2006 Twin Cams. They produced and sold that motor for 6 years before resolving the cam tensioner issue. And the compensator on the Touring bikes, sumping issues with the newer bikes. The list goes on and on.

The following users liked this post:
Strugatsio (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 06:24 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Don't get me wrong. I'm not making excuses for H-D. They've got problems and a lot of us know and have known for years that they've got problems. They will continue to have problems. I knew that when I bought my Harley, but that didn't stop me from buying it. The difference is, I knew what I was getting into beforehand, but I didn't come in here boo-hooing when something went wrong with the bike.

We, as consumers of these products, have a choice to purchase them or not. Caveat emptor and all that jazz. If the information is available, which it is and has been for this particular issue, and you don't do your due diligence, a lot of the blame is on you. No one forced the OP into his decision to buy the bike. Get it fixed, move on and go for a ride. Or, don't. I don't really care.

The following users liked this post:
Dirty Harry (11-29-2018)

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Migration to Primary