General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Rise of Harley in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 12:44 PM
Curated Content Editor
HDF Editor
Received 755 Likes on 372 Posts
Default The Rise of Harley in Europe

The Rise of Harley in Europe
By Robert Bacon

HD is a historic American brand with the notoriety that reaches far across the globe.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:25 PM
Strugatsio
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts

That's it? A single paragraph?

Harley-Davidson has been going from strength to strength in Europe while domestic sales continue to fall: but why? Maybe the reason can best be told through Willi Breuckmann's story. Breuckmann, a native of Germany, could have opted to buy a BMW or any number of European bikes, but he didn't. Instead, he decided to buy a Harley-Davidson Road King. According to Breuckmann, "It comes down to a feeling... the BMW is also very comfortable... but it was a dream of mine to get a Harley.". The reason so many Europeans are choosing Harley-Davidson over highly capable local brands could simply come down to a "feeling".
I'd like to see HD doing well but the above paragraph doesn't afford much in the way of proof of the assertion.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:36 PM
Warrant
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 288 Posts

Every time I'm in Europe, I find it quite surprising how many HD motorcycles I see. Motorcycles and scooter are very popular in the bigger cities because navigating traffic is easier. The auto to motorcycle ratio is 1:1.
You don't see many of the touring models but lots of sporties, dynas, softails.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:28 AM
testcees
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Harley in Europe

Back in the 60 most Harley bikers were riding army surplus bikes which were for sale all over Europe. In 71 only 7 new Harley-Davidson motorcycles were sold in the Netherlands. Most the importer sold were Hydra 's and Duo's which were imported from Belgium where police forces used them and army surplus 45s. In the mid 70s the number of new Harleys went up more and more. Then choppers started showing up. When I had my first new Harley in 76 it was an not sold 75 FX which was transferred to an FXE and I even got longer front forks installed for almost free so happy the dealer was to sell this bike. And for no other bike as an Harley there were so many after market parts. This made Harley-Davidson growing bigger. And when the company started builing factory customs this even got bigger. In that time you needed a tool box on any long distance run. When quality got better and better the reputation of Harley also got up. Then came the movies and it was hip to own a Harley en every dealer could sell what he could get from the factory. Now I see a lot of clubs and a lot of HOG chapters doing lots of riding. Not in a 1 on 1 ratio but there are parts of Europe where in summertime Harley's do dominate the road. I think because Harley is carefully looking at what customers want and how they present their brand has great importance to their presence in Europe now a days

The following 2 users liked this post by testcees:
ChopperBill (12-07-2018), Warrant (12-08-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 04:37 AM
PadreFreddie
Cruiser

Received 129 Likes on 56 Posts

Even though Harleys are very expensive in Europe, people still buy them. Recently, Harley has teamed up with Jeep in Europe and I think is a brilliant idea. Two iconic american brands promoting the american way of life.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:39 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Strugatsio
That's it? A single paragraph?
If you click the "next" button you'll get a few more paragraphs.

Harley appear to be doing well in the UK. I've seen more Sportsters on the road this summer than any other bike. Used to be all i'd see were sport bikes, but the collapse of the 600cc Supersport market changed that. Harley, Triumph and BMW seem to be the most common these days. Don't see so many baggers around here though. I was beginning to see a lot more M8's on the road until the weather turned bad, so sales of the new bikes must be going pretty well.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:53 AM
2wheelin
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Faulkner
If you click the "next" button you'll get a few more paragraphs.

Harley appear to be doing well in the UK. I've seen more Sportsters on the road this summer than any other bike. Used to be all i'd see were sport bikes, but the collapse of the 600cc Supersport market changed that. Harley, Triumph and BMW seem to be the most common these days. Don't see so many baggers around here though. I was beginning to see a lot more M8's on the road until the weather turned bad, so sales of the new bikes must be going pretty well.
These "articles" that require you to click through a series of slides are patbetic efforts to generate clicks for the host. Once I see the "NEXT" button, I stop reading and hit the back-button. Just give me me the article on one page, sheez.

The following 2 users liked this post by 2wheelin:
shorelasHD (12-07-2018), Strugatsio (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 07:20 AM
assiniboine
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4,432 Likes on 2,765 Posts

anybody recognize this guy? Can u visualize him in this picture riding a Gold Wing? Nope! Neither can I. A company could not buy this type of advertising. Owning a HD in Europe is a huge status symbol.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:45 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,196 Likes on 658 Posts

Japan too. The europeans and japanese love harleys, leather, jeans, and boots. From the good ol usa. Vintage leather can catch some big money across the ponds.

Old 12-07-2018, 05:59 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeah but the euro HD riders wear full rain gear/ textile / leathers with full face, full reflector vest and about 100 other uncool things.

Massive cringe when I see one on the road when I work in Europe.

Quick Reply: The Rise of Harley in Europe