General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip On Pipes and Header

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 04:34 PM
jb071599
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slip On Pipes and Header

I need a little assistance. I am in the process of purchasing a 2019 Triglide, Jan/Feb time frame. I am probably going to add a set of Rinehart 4" Slimline slip-on pipes. I had V&H 450 Tridents on my '17 limited and was rather disappointed in the sound. Several people have told me that if I want great sound and performance that I need to change out the head pipe as well. I have inquired at several local dealerships and I am getting conflicting information regarding the warranty. Dealer #1 said as long as I have a Harley tuner I am ok. Dealer #2 told me I can't change the head pipe, if done, no warranty. Dealer #3 told me I can only do the change with all Harley parts.

Any thoughts, recommendations, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thankls,
James

Old 12-09-2018, 12:41 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

The exhaust is the least invasive part - but it’s interesting how varied the dealers are. From my understanding anything done technically voids the warranty though - so maybe it’s up to the dealers to decide on he coverage.

The following users liked this post:
jb071599 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 01:52 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by jb071599
I need a little assistance. I am in the process of purchasing a 2019 Triglide, Jan/Feb time frame. I am probably going to add a set of Rinehart 4" Slimline slip-on pipes. I had V&H 450 Tridents on my '17 limited and was rather disappointed in the sound. Several people have told me that if I want great sound and performance that I need to change out the head pipe as well. I have inquired at several local dealerships and I am getting conflicting information regarding the warranty. Dealer #1 said as long as I have a Harley tuner I am ok. Dealer #2 told me I can't change the head pipe, if done, no warranty. Dealer #3 told me I can only do the change with all Harley parts.

Any thoughts, recommendations, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thankls,
James
Dealers are pretty cool with exhaust pipes , but the moment you drill out or add headers / slippons that remove the cat from the vehicles exhaust ya pretty
much done.

Ive heard this from every dealer I’ve spoke to from my 17 sporty to now.

Wiz 🍺

jb071599 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 04:42 PM
jb071599
Novice

Thanks Wiz, that was one of the several responses I received.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:44 PM
jb071599
Novice

I agree, it seems some of the dealers are okay with the system, providing they sell and install, and they are solely used for service etc.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:58 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jb071599
I agree, it seems some of the dealers are okay with the system, providing they sell and install, and they are solely used for service etc.
Yeah let’s face it , the dealers are pretty much good taking ya money, even offering NON HD items for sale.
Had a HD sales guy offer me V&H twin slash slipons for my custom full well knowing that it removes the cats from the exhaust system. When asked what about warranty, he smiled and said well look after ya !.

Ah ha **** I’m still having trouble with a battery claim and the bikes only 18 months old, Let alone having an engine go pop.

If ya just don’t trust them, you know exactly where ya stand.

Wiz 🍺

jb071599 (12-10-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 11:08 AM
ShadowforNow
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Other than the cat, is there any difference between stock headers and aftermarket?

Old 12-11-2018, 12:13 PM
teal379
Tourer
Received 171 Likes on 92 Posts

IME - typically an OEM will want an ECU download submitted with warranty claims. Typically you need to do an ECU tune change once you get either more air in or exhaust out faster or cams etc. Slip ons ALONE don't seem to change exhaust out faster to a degree that requires ECU changes.

If that ECU tune file has been changed by anything other than a HD tuner/EPA compliant tuner, warranty denied and voided.
So I put on slip on's and do no ECU change - something happens, HD has no idea the slip ons were switched, approved warranty claim. No need to change tune with just slip ons IMO. Engine parameters being run by sensors BEFORE the slip on/catalytic converter which is the main restriction in the exhaust.

I do full exhaust and air intake with an ECU tune modified by say DynoVision. No sense doing full exhaust/AC without a tune. Lunch a rod for whatever reason, HD gets ECU download showing modifed table by something other than HD tuner (Due to their legal issues with EPA) - warranty denied.

It's all in how the dealer's warranty guy understands the system and the level of risk they're willing to take.
Locally, mine will "warranty" everything till they see that ECU change. Then there's nothing they can do as HD won't pay the dealer for the warranty work performed. Then they're stuck fighting the customer for it and that sucks.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:00 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ShadowforNow
Other than the cat, is there any difference between stock headers and aftermarket?
I think I read somewhere that the stock headers on a 1200 sporty are good up to 100 horse, after that it’s the after market you seek

Wiz 🤘

Old 12-13-2018, 03:02 PM
jb071599
Novice

Originally Posted by teal379
IME - typically an OEM will want an ECU download submitted with warranty claims. Typically you need to do an ECU tune change once you get either more air in or exhaust out faster or cams etc. Slip ons ALONE don't seem to change exhaust out faster to a degree that requires ECU changes.

If that ECU tune file has been changed by anything other than a HD tuner/EPA compliant tuner, warranty denied and voided.
So I put on slip on's and do no ECU change - something happens, HD has no idea the slip ons were switched, approved warranty claim. No need to change tune with just slip ons IMO. Engine parameters being run by sensors BEFORE the slip on/catalytic converter which is the main restriction in the exhaust.

I do full exhaust and air intake with an ECU tune modified by say DynoVision. No sense doing full exhaust/AC without a tune. Lunch a rod for whatever reason, HD gets ECU download showing modifed table by something other than HD tuner (Due to their legal issues with EPA) - warranty denied.

It's all in how the dealer's warranty guy understands the system and the level of risk they're willing to take.
Locally, mine will "warranty" everything till they see that ECU change. Then there's nothing they can do as HD won't pay the dealer for the warranty work performed. Then they're stuck fighting the customer for it and that sucks.
Agree. The more information I receive it appears that if you do slip on pipes, and change the air intake, as long as it is tuned with HD super tuner your okay with warranty. The adjustments are well within the parameters of the tuner. Once you hit the header/cat. your on a solo flight. Unless the have purchased those items from your local dealer they will typically cover any warranty issues.

Quick Reply: Slip On Pipes and Header