General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Received a robocall from Gateway Harley in St. Louis today

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 09:02 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 639 Likes on 280 Posts

I live in south city. I learned to ride through the class at Gateway, and I bought my very first bike, a ‘15 XL1200X, from them, in the fall of ‘14. Six months after I bought that bike, the guy who sold it to me was already asking me if I wanted to trade up. Despite that, the place was pretty good overall, but it seemed like things went downhill fast. They replaced almost the entire staff with folks from Louisville, their stock was just kind of meh, then they sold they place. Since it’s really close to me, I’ll stop buy and pick up parts every now and then.

I’ve bought my last 2 bikes from Doc’s. It turned out that a bunch of the staff there and myself had mutual friends, and they are genuinely nice people who’ve never tried to push me in to buying anything.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:01 PM
Hdbkstl
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 187 Posts

Yea. I liked docs. I live out in wentzville and plan to take my bike up to Chariots of Fire to get my work done. Their new shop is really nice. Gateway wanted me to drive down so they could "fit" a bike to me....wtf that means I'll never know. My buddy has bought about 6 bikes out at St. Charles. I flat asked them if I got my bike worked on, will they void my warenty. He said more than likely not, within reason, and I respected that. They have my buisness and so does COF

Old 12-15-2018, 04:58 AM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought my 05 Ultra (New, paid cash and was a founding HOG member there) from Gateway HD. Took it in for the 1K service, They gave me a Free bike wash, scratched my windshield, When I said something about it, 4 employes (at the same time)(wont go into how they tried to intimidate me) to tell me that they didn't do it and would not warranty it. That was the last time I have ever been there.
When my motor "crapped out" on the 05, St. Charles HD did me right on service, advice and price.

KenK

Last edited by Kenney; 12-15-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:45 AM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,997 Likes on 12,901 Posts

So I got another phone call this morning from the receptionist girl at the dealership inviting me in today to look at inventory

the sales manager was supposed to contact me via email on Thursday so I could send him a parts list to go with the new purchase, he never sent it

I told her to get my number off their list, the place is run by idiots as far as I’m concerned. If they were serious about selling something they wouldn’t have her calling me

Old 12-15-2018, 11:28 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
I bought my streeglide from Big St.Charles and was happy with how the sale went, but their service dept. are dimwits. Tried telling me i couldn't install speakers without an amp. My brother had many problems with their service dept. too, getting his bike back with more damage than it went in with. Buying from them is one thing, but no way i would let these people work on my bike. I called Doc's, Big St.Charles, Freize and Gateway looking for a new streeglide and was buying on tomorrow. Gateway called me back and i told them i was buying one from Big St.Charles and told him the price i got and he became a smart *** and told me i better buy it. I said i did ! Best price came from Big St. Charles and Doc's told me they would see if they had one in back and said they would call me back in 10 mins. They call 1 month later and asked if i had bought a bike. What a joke. I did my my Tri-Glide from Gateway because that's where i got the best price ,but they are not very friendly and are down right crabby people.

I absolutely HATE going into dealership anywhere !
I'm not sure when this was, but two years ago they replaced the management in the service department and have improved dramatically from it... YMMV.