General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Is The Most Common ERRORs You See BIKERs Making....?

Old 12-16-2018, 04:08 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Buster217
This particular group is not what I'd call disciplined in the sense of having pre-ride discussions, rules or any stated expectations. So, I don't think anything would happen. The two other rides I did with this group were all decent riders and were all self-aware enough not to be a bother to other riders. Everyone sorted themselves out into the sub-group that matched their skills.

Well, I wasn't bashing the guy for being a newbie and I don't even know if he is. And it's not up to me to worry about others riding poorly if they're not threatening me. My complaint was the guy crowding in front of me, twice actually, and slowing me down. It should have been as obvious to him as it was to me that he belonged at the back, not in front of someone who waited repeatedly for him to catch up. I was totally fine as long as he was behind me. One thing he did right was not follow too closely, in fact was out of sight completely a lot.

To put it in your suggested terms then: My error was that I let the guy get ahead of me not once but twice and if I couldn't have prevented that safely, then I should have just struck out on my own for the remainder of the trip, which is exactly what I will do in the future. His error was not being a newbie, but going on a ride that exceeded his capability.
Actually, In this situation, the guy in question should have been asked to leave the ride as his skill set didn't match the other riders. I've seen accidents happen with this type of rider on one of those benefit runs and he took out several other riders in the process. When it comes to everyone's safety then that is an issue. A good lead rider/road captain should notice, and if they don't then the one riding sweep should make them aware at the earliest opportunity. Personally, I hate riding in a slinky. (remember that old toy?)

If I'm actually riding in the group, and I see someone who is lacking, I'll mention it to them at the earliest opportunity, and suggest we leave the group while I give them some pointers to help correct the problem. If he catches on quick, we may even rejoin the group. If he lets his testosterone override his sensibilities, then he would be placed behind the entire group, including behind whomever is riding sweep. In other words, he's on his own! It's for the groups safety!

Old 12-16-2018, 04:21 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,034 Likes on 11,056 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm
Actually, In this situation, the guy in question should have been asked to leave the ride as his skill set didn't match the other riders. I've seen accidents happen with this type of rider on one of those benefit runs and he took out several other riders in the process. When it comes to everyone's safety then that is an issue. A good lead rider/road captain should notice, and if they don't then the one riding sweep should make them aware at the earliest opportunity. Personally, I hate riding in a slinky. (remember that old toy?)

If I'm actually riding in the group, and I see someone who is lacking, I'll mention it to them at the earliest opportunity, and suggest we leave the group while I give them some pointers to help correct the problem. If he catches on quick, we may even rejoin the group. If he lets his testosterone override his sensibilities, then he would be placed behind the entire group, including behind whomever is riding sweep. In other words, he's on his own! It's for the groups safety!
My concern with group riding is if someone has a crash, is the sponsoring clubs, organization, road captain, trail boss, tail gunner and all the other riders in the group exposing themselves to personal injury litigation? If you start offering advice and instruction to marginal riders and they hurt themselves, can an attorney include you in the inevitable lawsuit? Will the attorney argue that his client was injured because the road captain was riding too fast?Since humans don;t like being told what to do, will a low performance rider scoff and blow off your advice? Some riders don't belong on a motorcycle but they sure as hell don't want anyone telling them that. Unless they solicit your instruction, leave them alone in their misery. I doubt many low skills riders will admit they can't ride.
I did all the group riding I wanted to do in motors, solo is how I roll.

Last edited by upflying; 12-16-2018 at 04:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
crusader1xxx (12-21-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 04:39 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,652 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by DynaDude100
Parking the bike with it in neutral.

I never park the bike in gear unless I'm parked on an incline.
My wife is the only person I ride with that parks in gear, and I cuss every time I need to move her trike.

The following 2 users liked this post by Duracell:
eleutheros (12-19-2018), Greezey Rider (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 04:43 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
GREAT to hear what you are saying. Too many riders (or those who think they are riders) do not put in the effort they need to, to help mitigate issues.

Here is an article for you. Click HERE. You do not need to join DropBox to get this article. If you can't get the article my friend, then email me at BuzzCap7@BuzzCap.net and I will email it directly to you.

Pls read my signature. (The bottom of my post.) It may have good info for you.

I agree, there is nothing like practicing.

It was BRILLIANT of you to get the Jerry Palladino DVD (or download). I always say, not to watch it. LOL, yuppers my friend, do not watch it but study it. Then go out to a parking lot (without impedances nearby like car stops, sand, etc...) and practice. ----snip----

Sorry if any of this is preachy mate.

Ride Safe - Ride Often
I ended up downloading the page you mentioned. Even as long as I have been riding I'm always open to learning whether it has to do with riding or anything else I may have an interest in. Always, safety first!

I have had a few of Jerry's DVD,s and have also distributed them (free) Even gave one lady 25 little orange cones and a 200 foot tape measure along with maps for the setup of the cones for her to keep. BUT, I also took the course personally from him. I don't recall paying as much as he's asking now though I think it was more in the range of $100 for his course. Here is his listing with classes for 2019. Even at the $150 it is now, I believe it's still worth it.
https://www.ridelikeapro.com/rider-classes/

Old 12-16-2018, 04:49 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,324 Likes on 10,700 Posts

Originally Posted by Duracell
I never park the bike in gear unless I'm parked on an incline.
My wife is the only person I ride with that parks in gear, and I cuss every time I need to move her trike.
I park the bike in 1st gear 99.99999999% of the time. To me, it is a good habit. Anything "riding" to me has to be automatic, good muscle memory, and a "good habit".

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm
I ended up downloading the page you mentioned. Even as long as I have been riding I'm always open to learning whether it has to do with riding or anything else I may have an interest in. Always, safety first!

I have had a few of Jerry's DVD,s and have also distributed them (free) Even gave one lady 25 little orange cones and a 200 foot tape measure along with maps for the setup of the cones for her to keep. BUT, I also took the course personally from him. I don't recall paying as much as he's asking now though I think it was more in the range of $100 for his course. Here is his listing with classes for 2019. Even at the $150 it is now, I believe it's still worth it.
https://www.ridelikeapro.com/rider-classes/
I LOVED READING YOUR POST BS. I so loved it!!!

That was all a breath of fresh air. But then again, I always enjoy reading your posts.

Bonnie Storm (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 05:01 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,652 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
I park the bike in 1st gear 99.99999999% of the time. To me, it is a good habit. Anything "riding" to me has to be automatic, good muscle memory, and a "good habit".
Thats fine on todays bikes I guess but I started riding before neutral switches and other safety features prevented a bike from starting in gear. After "starting" my honda right off the side stand a couple times my good habit became not leaving it in gear when parked. Why is parking in gear a good idea?

eleutheros (12-19-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 05:01 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by crtfibl
I'm a newbie here on the forum and in truth still very much a newbie rider. After not riding for almost 50 years, I finally scratched the itch and bought my Heritage four years ago. Took MSF. Then due to circumstances (after minimal riding), the bike sat for probably three years until the last six months, when I have started riding again. Rode the snot out of my Honda 305 back in my teens, no training, probably a miracle I survived.

I readily admit I am still too much a novice. I "know" most of what I am supposed to do, but I still need a helluva lot of practicing the techniques. No, I am not "comfortable" riding but I am very aware of my limitations. The only way to get to where I want to be is practice, practice, practice, along with making some mistakes (which I try to minimize with being very careful). Got jeered at the Harley dealer a month ago when I duck walked a short radius U-turn out front.

My "go-to" for training is the Ride Like a Pro video, mentioned above. Have watched it many times ... but still need to get out and practice a lot more. I highly recommend it for anyone, experienced or not. Actually was going to head over yesterday to our civic auditorium parking lot (where the local MSF training is held) and practice, but then remembered this time of year its a huge Christmas tree lot.

I am enjoying this thread and trying to learn from it. Not offended by jeers at idiots, but also appreciate those who remember that everyone at some pointed out was a newbie. At least I know it and doing what I can responsibly to get beyond that.

And I ride like I have always driven ... with the assumption that everyone else out there is out to kill me.
Keep doing what your doing. The fist step to learning is recognizing your limitations and learning from there. You will keep getting better, enjoy!

BuzzCap7 (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 05:07 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Duracell
Thats fine on todays bikes I guess but I started riding before neutral switches and other safety features prevented a bike from starting in gear. After "starting" my honda right off the side stand a couple times my good habit became not leaving it in gear when parked. Why is parking in gear a good idea?
I had the lead Police Motor Officer Instructor for the state talk to me about this very subject. I never parked the bike in gear.

He asked me: "Have you ever owned a car with a manual transmission?" Yes. "Did you always leave it in neutral when you parked it?" Uhhh, no.

"Well then. Park your car in gear, park your bike in gear."

A friend parked his bike in neutral, just like always. Unfortunately, there was juuuuust enough of a slope that the bike started to slide, even though it was on the sidestand. $6,000++ in damages before it slid to a stop, on its side.

DuciDay (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2018, 05:12 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,034 Likes on 11,056 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I had the lead Police Motor Officer Instructor for the state talk to me about this very subject. I never parked the bike in gear.

He asked me: "Have you ever owned a car with a manual transmission?" Yes. "Did you always leave it in neutral when you parked it?" Uhhh, no.

"Well then. Park your car in gear, park your bike in gear."

A friend parked his bike in neutral, just like always. Unfortunately, there was juuuuust enough of a slope that the bike started to slide, even though it was on the sidestand. $6,000++ in damages before it slid to a stop, on its side.
Parking in gear is taught to motor officers. You will lose sight of the speeder if you take the time to start in neutral and then select first before pulling out to pursue.

eleutheros (12-19-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 05:12 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

One common error I see is people riding in shorts.

Last edited by Geoff; 12-16-2018 at 05:13 PM.
eleutheros (12-19-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Is The Most Common ERRORs You See BIKERs Making....?