Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Spend five grand on motor work, or ten on a new bike? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1265188-spend-five-grand-on-motor-work-or-ten-on-a-new-bike.html)

Mchad 12-25-2018 08:17 AM

Spend five grand on motor work, or ten on a new bike?

Merry Christmas all! (or happy holidays to those who Christmas is not applicable to)

Now that the morning festivities are over and we wait to eat, I get thinking. So...

I picked up a 13k mile bone stock 2015 Road King in Nov. I found I really love the style. I was all set to drop the HD 110 Stage 4 kit and wood cam in it next week, as it needs a little more power. I was thinking about the job (which is always dangerous!) and adding costs up. The bike still needs a new belt, fork springs and emulators or cartridges. That along with the 110 kit, will add up to about five grand installed.

If I’m going to drop 5K on a 2015, should I just cough up the extra few grand and pick up a 2019 M8 King, or even a Special? I’m thinking the 107 with a Stage 1 will be pretty close power wise to the Stage 4 110, and will be a brand new bike, with a warranty. I think I can get a pretty good deal since it’s the end of the year, so it may make sense to see what kind of a deal they can offer me.

I’d go for the special, but I’m not sure how I feel about the completely blacked out look. I have to see one in person.

I got a nice year end bonus so I won’t be “spending” any savings or financing, so it won’t hurt the wallet.

What do you think?

SWFLGuy 12-25-2018 08:25 AM

Get the new bike. You can get exactly what you want them.
Do it.

QC 12-25-2018 08:28 AM

If the deal is right and you're not in love with what you have, and you're willing to live with a bike you can't really modify......

I have to ask how does a bike with 13K on it need a new belt?

nobodyknowsme 12-25-2018 08:28 AM

New Special. Hands down. Go drool over a couple and you won't be questioning yourself.

heavymetalthunder 12-25-2018 08:28 AM

just curious why a bike with 13000 miles on it needs a new belt?as far as a new engine versus a new bike.I knew bikes nice and the the new engine is not going to add any value to the old bike. yeah it's about 10 grand to put a s s 124 and the bike with all the accessories. good luck with your decision.

Greezey Rider 12-25-2018 08:29 AM

You never seem to keep a bike for more than about a week anyway.....So just trade it.

Iceman24 12-25-2018 08:32 AM

It's probably going to be cheaper to get new vs. what you've got/plan to invest in the 2015...go w/new bike + warranty...IMO.

Mchad 12-25-2018 08:46 AM

Re the belt. The wheel sprocket seems to have gotten damaged, maybe the previous owner lived up a gravel road? Anyway the belt has some chunks missing and the sprocket was also rough.

Mchad 12-25-2018 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider (Post 17913443)
You never seem to keep a bike for more than about a week anyway.....So just trade it.

Easy now. I am keeping the Low Rider...

Goose_NC 12-25-2018 08:52 AM

Some say, once you put in a different, non-Harleysville motor, it's no longer a Harley.