Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   I am so sick of cheap junk (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1266080-i-am-so-sick-of-cheap-junk.html)

tmac00333 01-02-2019 12:48 PM

I am so sick of cheap junk

Putting air in your bike's tires is one of the easiest maintenance jobs you can do. Right? Yes, it is SUPPOSED to be.

Providing you can find a gauge that WORKS. I have three difference gauges and they are all giving me different readings.

I bought two brand new valve extenders that are supposed to make the job REALLY easy. Both of them just broke.

I am so tired of buying cheap junk from third-rate shysters.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm trying to get off nicotine.

soldierbot 01-02-2019 01:01 PM

Good luck with ridding yourself of the nicotine monkey on your back.

As to the tire pressure gage, I picked up one of these last spring and it work well, accurate and not too big to fit in the swingarm bag.

SBRob 01-02-2019 01:07 PM

Chew Nicorette gum, you'll feel better.....just sayin'.:icon_beerchug:

Imold 01-02-2019 01:23 PM

I don't think there's a one gauge fits all. Near right angle end stick gage for those hard to reach wheels, long shank to reach others, a dial gage when you have plenty of room, and my favorite, a digital readout, are my minimum set. Also have a cheap ball end I removed the stem from and drilled out as wide as I dared to get maximum airflow for seating tubeless tires on rims when I install new tires. When it gets down to freezing, my digital quits in a couple minutes, though. Sometimes the old basics work best. I occasionally check my gages against each other, and so far they're all right on. My stick gage is at least 40 years old, too; that's the kind I'd expect the less accuracy with, but it's held just fine.

Mike Lawless 01-02-2019 01:50 PM

The sad reality of pressure gauges is that they ALL have a horribly loose accuracy range. That is until you get into precision instrumentation that costs more money than us mere mortals can afford.

Best advice.... take an average of the three, then use that to figure out the correction for what the best/easiest one. For example, as long as you know favorite gauge reading 40psi is "PROBABLY" 37psi....that's all you need to do.

warprints 01-02-2019 01:58 PM

Purchase a decent ANSI grade B certified gauge. Probably around $20. Should be accurate to 2% in the middle third range of the gauge.

nobodyknowsme 01-02-2019 02:54 PM

I tired of that long ago. Bought a quality gauge at about $40 and all I will use. Oh yeah. I had my last smoke almost 8 weeks ago.

Super Glidester 01-02-2019 03:44 PM

Chinese crap we can all do without...

fxdup 01-02-2019 04:44 PM

Jayco gauge on Amazon + Nicotine patch.

14 years smoke free.

Jackie Paper 01-02-2019 04:50 PM

Just throw two away. Problem solved.