General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salvage/junk title woes

Old 01-03-2019, 01:11 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,560 Likes on 5,153 Posts
Default Salvage/junk title woes

Friend of mine some time back purchased a very low mileage 2014 Ultra. It was suppose to have been a salvage title that was total rebuilt and had clean title.. It was rebuilt like new no arguing that. Everything seemed fine. He rode it no issues . DUI and it was not his first. Judge nailed his tail big time. One thing was Judge would not allow ignition lock for the bike said it was not necessary to ride. Long story short after about 3 years he was cleared to get a real license back no ignition lock. All this time Bike has sat. Reg expired so he went to renew it. Wisconsin search says it was not a salvage title but a Junk title and had been laundered to hide the history. Bottom line it can not be registered. After long fight he has been informed it is possible to have it re-titled legally as a salvage. But he has a lot of hoops to jump through and some cost invoked along with having to prove all of the work done and parts replaced. The bike will also be branded Salvage. But until it is all done he can not ride it. Be-careful when you think you are beating the system.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:15 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Drinking and driving has many hidden cost.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:27 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,722 Likes on 6,186 Posts

Don't see the issue...He bought it as a salvage, and it can be registered as a salvage.
If he didn't register it for the years that the DUI was applied, that was his undoing. Maybe if he paid the registration for the missing years...I once had a bike under construction and didn't register it for the year it was apart. Had to catch back up when it was finished (that's Illinois).

Old 01-03-2019, 01:34 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Don't see the issue...He bought it as a salvage, and it can be registered as a salvage.
If he didn't register it for the years that the DUI was applied, that was his undoing. Maybe if he paid the registration for the missing years...I once had a bike under construction and didn't register it for the year it was apart. Had to catch back up when it was finished (that's Illinois).
Reading and comprehension are fundamental.

Originally Posted by smitty901
Wisconsin search says it was not a salvage title but a Junk title and had been laundered to hide the history.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:41 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

I live in Calif and bought a FXR that sat in a tow yard for 3 years. It automatically came with a Salvage title although the bike has never been wrecked and I cannot change it. Personally I don't care because the FXR will never leave my hands but it may matter to my kids once I pass.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:41 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,560 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
No. The bike was declared Junk and not rebuild-able. Not a salvage title. Through some tricks and skill con work someone was able to make it appear as a salvage Title. And in the end trough a ground up rebuild got a clean title issued. However that means nothing when when the State figures out a fast one was pulled. Wisconsin does not care one bit how long it sat unregistered. What has to happen now is the State an him have to agree a fast one was pulled and it was not his doing. And that the bike is a 100% rebuild ground up new parts ect. Then state will issue a clean salvage title for it. But it will always be branded. State would have in time caught up with what was done. There is a difference in a Junk and salvage title.
I have to say having seen the bike and gone over it Who ever did the rebuild make it a new bike not a repaired one. I have to wonder where the parts came from. Who is missing a 2104 Ultra...

Last edited by smitty901; 01-03-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:43 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,722 Likes on 6,186 Posts

After long fight he has been informed it is possible to have it re-titled legally as a salvage. But he has a lot of hoops to jump through and some cost invoked along with having to prove all of the work done and parts replaced. The bike will also be branded Salvage.
Don't drink and write then. You deserve each other.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:50 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,164 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Wisconsin search says it was not a salvage title but a Junk title and had been laundered to hide the history. Bottom line it can not be registered.
I bought a toy hauler on ebay...it had been on it's side...had minor damage, and would have been an easy fix...

Seller said it had a salvage title...come to find out it had a certificate of destruction...which means it could only be parted out...it could not be registered ...

I found out before any real money changed hands...and got my deposit back from paypal...gave the seller negative feedback..and ebay deleted it...and he sold it to another fool...

Old 01-03-2019, 02:23 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,037 Likes on 11,057 Posts

A junk, non-rebuildable title means that it cannot ever be registered and rebuilt. So how does a like brand new Ultra get reincarnated from the dead with such a title?
We all know the answer and this is why DMV/LEO's get suspicious when a junk title vehicle is back on the road..

Last edited by upflying; 01-03-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:52 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

I'll take the fork springs and crankshaft out of that bagger there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Salvage/junk title woes