General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDR Work

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 09:39 PM
Strugatsio
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Excellent analysis. Kudos and thanks.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:58 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I should have added on more point, the FXDR draws a LOT of attention. I parked it up for 20 minutes in town and just sat watching peoples reaction to it. No one passed by without looking at it, most stopped to look it over properly, and a lot of people took photos. Chatting with some of them, i got almost no negative comments, even after i explained that it was a loaner. My Breakout and Low Rider S always got/get plenty of attention when i park up, but nothing like the FXDR gets. If you want a bike that really gets you noticed, the FXDR is a clear winner.

....and buy the red version, because it really is the best colour on this bike.

The following users liked this post:
RedRider0151 (02-21-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 03:46 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

I've never been a fan of the FXDR. My chief objection is that it's neither fish nor fowl-if you want handling and go fast, get a sport bike, and if you want to cruise, get a cruiser. An automotive comparison would be an Hummer H3-no good for anything, really, except to look "cool"?

In a previous thread, I commented that it would be unrideable what with forward controls and clip-ons, and I finally got to mount one at Rockstar HD in Ft. Myers the other day (was negotiating for a second FLHR). Personally, I'd be afraid to ride the FXDR as configured. It would be much more comfortable (and probably handle much better) with rearsets, not that I saw a convenient way to mount them. And that exhaust-WTF was the MoCo thinking?

I can't imagine anyone but a NOOB RUB looking to impress would buy one. I wish the MoCo well, but it's not for me.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:20 PM
GomezAddaams
Cruiser
Received 149 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Faulkner

Ergonomics - The FXDR sucks. I'm 5'8", and those bars are just too low and too far forward for me to be able to put big miles on it. It gets better over 70mph where the wind is helping to take some weight off the wrists. The seat is actually very comfortable. It's easy for me to flat foot at standstill, but i do have to be careful not to touch that huge pipe, and anyone with less than a 32" inseam might struggle. The Breakout was really good for long distance. I've done 11 hour days in the saddle no problem. My Low Rider S has been modded to fit me perfectly so it's a little unfair to say it's the clear winner. Both the FXDR and Breakout could be modded to make them fit the individual rider better.
Forward controls on the Softails are well placed. They are not like the fowards on earlier Harleys, they're much closer. My Dyna had forward controls when i bought it and i hated them, but i really like the position on the new Softails.
The clip ons are easy to adjust and it only takes a little bit. I am 5'7" and 5/8" turn back made a world of difference.

Good review!