General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Me and My Millennial

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 03:24 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 694 Likes on 338 Posts

I've got 3 younger cousins (my kid cousin's sons with my best friend from high school) that are 28, 25 & 22. Yes, they all smoke enough weed to kill any 10 normal people, but they work hard & 'get it'. 28 y/o runs his mom's dialysis clinics (3 locations in KC & St. Louis) & started a mobile mechanic business with his younger brothers that grossed a 1/4 mill its first year. His 25 y/o wife (supremely squared away & very cool chick) is an RN & working on a dual masters in Nursing & Business Administration (& smokes just as much as my cousins).

They're all hard core gear heads, as well. 28 y/o rides a ZX10, 25 y/o rides a 1200 Sportster & just built a 600hp turbo'd Lexus sedan, while the 22 y/o rides some metric cruiser & drives a '85 Monte Carlo with a 468ci BBC under the hood. They all rock climb, ski & ride dirt bikes as well. Between my cousin's neurotic drive & my buddy Chris' laid back attitude & stoner/gear head/musician influence, they turned out pretty damned well, IMO.

OP- that is so awesome that you get to have that with your son & mad respect to him for steppin' up & writing that blank check.

The following users liked this post:
Old Sport (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 03:44 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

OP congratulations on raising a squared away son. I think you can blame the failings of the millennials, on the self esteem movement in school, and the lack of strong fathers.

If you’re a man and your kids feel entitled, it’s on you.

Make sure you drill into your son to respect motorcycles. At one point the Marines were losing more Marines to motorcycles, than Iraq. http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/30/mar...les/index.html

Old Sport (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 06:46 PM
Old Sport
Club Member

Received 1,361 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl '69
I've got 3 younger cousins (my kid cousin's sons with my best friend from high school) that are 28, 25 & 22. Yes, they all smoke enough weed to kill any 10 normal people, but they work hard & 'get it'. 28 y/o runs his mom's dialysis clinics (3 locations in KC & St. Louis) & started a mobile mechanic business with his younger brothers that grossed a 1/4 mill its first year. His 25 y/o wife (supremely squared away & very cool chick) is an RN & working on a dual masters in Nursing & Business Administration (& smokes just as much as my cousins).

They're all hard core gear heads, as well. 28 y/o rides a ZX10, 25 y/o rides a 1200 Sportster & just built a 600hp turbo'd Lexus sedan, while the 22 y/o rides some metric cruiser & drives a '85 Monte Carlo with a 468ci BBC under the hood. They all rock climb, ski & ride dirt bikes as well. Between my cousin's neurotic drive & my buddy Chris' laid back attitude & stoner/gear head/musician influence, they turned out pretty damned well, IMO.

OP- that is so awesome that you get to have that with your son & mad respect to him for steppin' up & writing that blank check.
This is great to here - another example of “hope” for this generation.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:51 PM
Old Sport
Club Member

Originally Posted by Ron750
OP congratulations on raising a squared away son. I think you can blame the failings of the millennials, on the self esteem movement in school, and the lack of strong fathers.

If you’re a man and your kids feel entitled, it’s on you.

Make sure you drill into your son to respect motorcycles. At one point the Marines were losing more Marines to motorcycles, than Iraq. http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/30/mar...les/index.html
Thanks - he’s definitely one to respect and appreciate the ride. Took the MSF course and got his license on his own before buying his first learner (CBR300). He’s ATGATT and rolls his eyes at the stereotypical superbike rider with something to prove.

Last edited by Old Sport; 06-03-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:13 PM
RDFDJD
Cruiser
Received 111 Likes on 35 Posts

So your son should be on his last stretch of boot. How's he loving life??? LOL!!! Man, I miss those days..

Old Sport (06-03-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 10:01 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Sport
I've two sons in their early 20s - both great kids that make their papa proud. Younger son is 20 and rides a Honda CBR600RR. We ride together all the time, often with a few other buddies of mine on Harleys. Bunch of us on touring bikes and the kid on the rocket.

He's headed to the Marine Corp on March 4th. This afternoon we're at our local dealership (primarily Harley / also sells Honda) to pick-up some parts and he asks me to show him the Sportsters. We had been talking earlier in the day about life before Honda's inline four hit the shores. That's when we had "the moment"...

"Once I get through basic training and I am stationed I'm gonna get myself one of these" he said. "I dig it."

I'm thinking... Nice!
Congrats on a job well done raising him. I say all the time you can't really blame the kids if they weren't raised right. People have been putting down the younger generations since before my time.

Originally Posted by Mark out West
For a bunch of folks who dislike being stereotyped as old, fat, bigoted weekend pirates we sure do like stereotyping millennials.
Exactly, here is one of my millennials from last weekend when we were out riding around Branson. He turns 21 this month, been riding on the street since he was 15. Bought him a Sportster to start out and he saved up and bought himself a Wide Glide at 19. Worked nights and weekends since 16 y.o. and has worked the same fulltime job since 18. I have 6 sons from 40 to 13. My parenting has been a work in progress but I'm getting the hang of it after 40 years of raising kids.

The following 3 users liked this post by TroubleHead Fred:
Carl '69 (06-04-2019), mitchxout (06-03-2019), Old Sport (06-04-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 04:38 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,125 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Sport
Hey folks - got the call from my son yesterday. First time hearing his voice since he left for basic. Now officially a US Marine.

Expert rifle, 1st Class scores on his PFT and CFT. Could not be prouder. Pics below of our ride together the day before he left. Two more weeks to graduation.

Assuming your sin son graduated by now should be about through most MOS schools too.

My son came back from his deployment and just hit the list for promotion to SGT on the 1st of September.

Old Sport (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 08:05 PM
Old Sport
Club Member

Originally Posted by VAFish
Assuming your sin son graduated by now should be about through most MOS schools too.

My son came back from his deployment and just hit the list for promotion to SGT on the 1st of September.
Nice - congratulations, and all the best to your son! My son graduated boot-camp on 6/14. He is currently half-way through SOI (School of Infantry) - it's a 60-day school for him and the company start was delayed until mid-July. Then he's on to one more school before being stationed early next year.