Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Me and My Millennial (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1266381-me-and-my-millennial.html)

Old Sport 01-04-2019 09:39 PM

Me and My Millennial

I've two sons in their early 20s - both great kids that make their papa proud. Younger son is 20 and rides a Honda CBR600RR. We ride together all the time, often with a few other buddies of mine on Harleys. Bunch of us on touring bikes and the kid on the rocket.

He's headed to the Marine Corp on March 4th. This afternoon we're at our local dealership (primarily Harley / also sells Honda) to pick-up some parts and he asks me to show him the Sportsters. We had been talking earlier in the day about life before Honda's inline four hit the shores. That's when we had "the moment"...

"Once I get through basic training and I am stationed I'm gonna get myself one of these" he said. "I dig it."

I'm thinking... Nice!

b bop n bob 01-04-2019 10:07 PM

Sounds like you raised him well. Thank him for his upcoming service for me.

Dehammer 01-04-2019 10:48 PM

A son is the reflection of the father.

You are right to be proud if you are able raise true men in this broken culture. Well done.

23Seven 01-04-2019 11:44 PM

Both my sons are smarter than me and don’t ride. They both learned how to ride in the dirt but want no part of the California highways. A part of me would really love to ride with them but I wouldn’t want to push them into riding on the street if they aren’t feeling it.

Thank your son for his service and you guys keep the rubber side down when he gets back.

6 gun 01-05-2019 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dehammer (Post 17936957)
A son is the reflection of the father.

You are right to be proud if you are able raise true men in this broken culture. Well done.

I do not think anyone of us could say it better.

Old Sport 01-05-2019 08:28 AM

Thanks guys - appreciate it.

I started riding in my late teens. My dad did not ride nor did I have any friends at that time that rode. There were no influences, it was simply an affordable way to get around. I rode for many years, raced a bit at Raceway Park / Englishtown, NJ (1/4 mile), and re-built many of my bikes over the years. I sold my last bike shortly after getting married.

There was no bike in the house as my son was growing-up, up but there were plenty of stories and pictures and we've talked a lot about motorcycling over the past few years as I was planning to jump back on a bike. When he started riding, he also displayed an interest in understanding the mechanics and inner-workings of his ride. He insisted on changing his own oil (despite my telling him just go to the dealer) and we've spent more than a few afternoons working on his bike together, making adjustments and installing accessories. And each time I've been acutely aware that these are moments that he will reflect back on for the rest of his life.

So back to the Sportster and my pleasant shock and awe as he showed his unexpected interest...

I know he LOVES his bike. After spending a few months on a CBR300 (first bike / learning opportunity) he wanted a bigger ride and spent a lot of time researching various bikes. Paid for his bike out of his own pocket, all in cash (another thing I am very proud of!). Suddenly the kid who did not plan to ride beyond Thanksgiving is looking for every opportunity to get out on his bike between now and March 4th. He's also into the gear and the sport/track style - ATGATT - boots to helmet and everything in between. So again, you can imagine my surprise.

There's always been playful ribbing between us (an my buddies) about the choice of ride, but truly it's all good. His interest in Harley opens up a world of additional shared moments and that's the most exciting this for me.

hd4evr2008 01-05-2019 09:35 AM

Be proud, papa! Be very proud. Not because he rides with you, not because he wants a Sportster......be proud because he sounds like a wonderful, well raised, level headed young man! Rare these days........Thank him especially for his service. God bless him and all our troops.

Het 01-05-2019 09:44 AM

You should be proud. All of the millenials where I work think they get paid a premium wage to smoke dope and be on their phones all day. They think it's their right to do so.

MRFREEZE57 01-05-2019 10:15 AM

some of my most memorable rides were with my dad and others old enough to be my dad as when in my 20's I did not know anyone else that was a motorcycle enthusiast.
you raised a great son and wish you both many happy rides.

MRFREEZE57 01-05-2019 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Het (Post 17937537)
You should be proud. All of the millenials where I work think they get paid a premium wage to smoke dope and be on their phones all day. They think it's their right to do so.

unfortunately that is about spot on with so many of the younger generation. many go to college for one of the many useless degrees and then can not figure why nobody will pay them a six digit annual salary for it, all when there are so many well paying trade jobs out there but they are afraid to get dirt on their hands.